BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 66 ]  [ Total: 71 ]  [ Newest Member: tboy ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 QSB380 Cummins 2012
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Office view this morning Topic Next Topic: Submarine Book  

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 21 2016 :  19:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at a new (20012 boat) with theses motors, comments,thoughts ?
And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport:

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Sep 21 2016 :  22:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see nothing re new boat.
BOB J

Bob J

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  09:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No personal experience with them yet, but I've been shopping for a new (to me) boat for almost a year (a somewhat discouraging, but educational experience). I'm looking in the 380-420 Sundancer range. The 380's & 390's are mostly gassers (which I am fine with in that size), but after looking around a lot I'm seriously thinking of adding a little more to the budget, and going for a 410 or 420. Most of the 410's have Cats. My only hesitation on those is because I get a lot of mixed reviews on Cats, but overwhelmingly positive reviews for Cummins.
DISCLAIMER: I'm not making a judgement about Cats. Just sharing opinions I've found while researching my next boat.
I've spoken to two diesel mechanics about the choice and while neither trashed Cats, both of them independently strongly endorsed Cummins.
I've got to go a little newer (even bigger budget)and get in to the 420 to get Cummins. With one kid in a very expensive private college, and another kid going to start looking at colleges next Spring, I just have to wrap me head around the bigger budget.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on Sep 22 2016 09:48:35

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  10:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By all reviews excellent engines based on long history high production 5.9l Cummins.

Cummins support and parts are first rate.

How big and heavy is the boat?

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

CaptCrunch

RO# 32171

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  10:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The qsb is a fantastic motor. Very reliable and low maintenance

Hatteras 38c. PhishStix
Past
25 Chris Craft Crowne Totalled Hurricane Sandy
2000 Donzi Z32 SS - Sold

Homeport: Bellmore, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  10:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The aftercoolers will be ready for service

Bruce

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  19:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what is up with aftercoolers and service for such, is it hours on the motor this needs to be done?

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Sep 22 2016 :  20:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love my Cummins. Intercooler should be done every 3-5 years. It's an easy DIY job. Go to biodiesel and look for the o ring kit.

What boat are you looking at?

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Sep 23 2016 :  09:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coolers need to be resealed to make sure no corrosion has caused leaking. a good idea on any engine where sea water and intake air are in close proximity. Not a big deal just a maintenance issue. I only buy my parts, especially the cooler O rings from seaboard marine. they always get me the correct parts. The local Cummins truck shop many not. If you buy it the Cpl number and serial number on the engines is the key to getting the exact correct part for your build.

After long experience with Cummins C model I would not hesitate to buy those engines.

As with any diesel make sure they arent too overloaded at sea trial.

Bruce

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Sep 23 2016 :  12:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Cummins "C" series 8.3 engines do not share anything in common with the "B" series 5.9 series. The C engines are very robust and need little attention over time to perform well. With the 6B series it is important to avoid any overloading (overpropping) of the engine as well at attending to a few items quickly such as the raw water pumps, aftercoolers, CCV system, fuel coolers ,check the turbo etc.

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 23 2016 :  22:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JVM225

No personal experience with them yet, but I've been shopping for a new (to me) boat for almost a year (a somewhat discouraging, but educational experience). I'm looking in the 380-420 Sundancer range. The 380's & 390's are mostly gassers (which I am fine with in that size), but after looking around a lot I'm seriously thinking of adding a little more to the budget, and going for a 410 or 420. Most of the 410's have Cats. My only hesitation on those is because I get a lot of mixed reviews on Cats, but overwhelmingly positive reviews for Cummins.
DISCLAIMER: I'm not making a judgement about Cats. Just sharing opinions I've found while researching my next boat.
I've spoken to two diesel mechanics about the choice and while neither trashed Cats, both of them independently strongly endorsed Cummins.
I've got to go a little newer (even bigger budget)and get in to the 420 to get Cummins. With one kid in a very expensive private college, and another kid going to start looking at colleges next Spring, I just have to wrap me head around the bigger budget.

I would never own a gas boat ever again!

George Carlin

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 23 2016 :  22:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

I love my Cummins. Intercooler should be done every 3-5 years. It's an easy DIY job. Go to biodiesel and look for the o ring kit.

Don't make fun of me, need to downsize, the Silverton 45C is awesome, but the beam and power requirements are crazy for my pond.

Looking at this boat
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2008/Sea-Ray-SEDAN-BRIDGE-2987527/Baltimore/MD/United-States#.V-XJu_krJhE

And this one

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012/Meridian-391-Sedan-2651351/Boston/MA/United-States#.V-XMC_krJhE

George Carlin

CaptCrunch

RO# 32171

Posted - Sep 24 2016 :  07:43:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My uncle has the same model meridian his is a 2006 he's brought the boat from ny to fl a few times and loves the shallow draft of it.

Hatteras 38c. PhishStix
Past
25 Chris Craft Crowne Totalled Hurricane Sandy
2000 Donzi Z32 SS - Sold

Homeport: Bellmore, NY Go to Top of Page

sierra

RO# 28541

Posted - Sep 24 2016 :  09:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the event you're interested in feedback...

I've known many 391 owners and never one who didn't love their boat. It's a good coastal cruiser and while it may not take punishment as well as the Silverton, I'm guessing you avoid punishing conditions whenever possible rather than seeking them out. It's also boasts a terrific use of space which with the added length and beam make the accommodations feel much larger than most in its class, particularly the 36 DB in my opinion.

For what it's worth - and you've no doubt seen the listing - this is a very well cared for, nicely upgraded 391 I'm familiar with out near Riverhead owned by a passionate, meticulous boater: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2007/Meridian-391-Sedan-2992190/Aquebogue/NY/United-States#.V-aBKev3arV

quote:
Originally posted by walterv

quote:

Don't make fun of me, need to downsize, the Silverton 45C is awesome, but the beam and power requirements are crazy for my pond.

Looking at this boat
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2008/Sea-Ray-SEDAN-BRIDGE-2987527/Baltimore/MD/United-States#.V-XJu_krJhE

And this one

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012/Meridian-391-Sedan-2651351/Boston/MA/United-States#.V-XMC_krJhE

Homeport: East Coast, USA Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Sep 24 2016 :  15:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That one is nice but for $80k more the other one is 5 years newer. I think the 2012 is cheap and the 2007 is high.
I know what Walter will say about the 2007 as he doesn't like the striped seats but that can be changed.

Either way I like the meridian.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Sep 24 2016 :  15:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Cummins "C" series 8.3 engines do not share anything in common with the "B" series 5.9 series. The C engines are very robust and need little attention over time to perform well. With the 6B series it is important to avoid any overloading (overpropping) of the engine as well at attending to a few items quickly such as the raw water pumps, aftercoolers, CCV system, fuel coolers ,check the turbo etc.

The B and C dont share blocks but they do share simple design concepts, extensive knowledge and support network, inexpensive parts compared to others, high volume production and great reliability. they also share after coolers and raw water pumps that while different both require attention. neither likes overloading.

Bruce

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Sep 24 2016 :  18:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i m not sure how down sizing a few feet makes such a big difference.... Still two engines, one generator, same electronics, same air cons, same steering system, same time lectricsl system, pretty much same canvas and soft goods, same shore power cord and same number of lines.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 25 2016 :  18:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sent you a PM, Pascal

George Carlin

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Sep 25 2016 :  20:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The B and C dont share blocks but they do share simple design concepts, extensive knowledge and support network, inexpensive parts compared to others, high volume production and great reliability. they also share after coolers and raw water pumps that while different both require attention. neither likes overloading."

IMHO - The engines are anything but similar. The C is installed in most any bus and coach applications as well as many street sweepers and other similar heavy machinery. The B series is found in recreational pickups and is better suited for that application. I have helped quite a few B series owners with their engines and found the parts costs to be fairly high on impellers, fuel coolers, aftercoolers, turbo's, injectors and most anything else we needed.

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  10:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi smitty. Compared to Volvo prices? I always bought from seaboard ad got better pricing than the local Cummins shop.

Bruce

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  11:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Bruce,
I have not owned a Cummins in a boat only in a pickup truck - have never owned a Volvo either. Perkins, Lehman, Navistar , Hino, and Yanmar I have had myself. I have worked on quite a few Cummins marine installations on friends boats over the years. I always sent folks to Tony Athens as he was pretty clear (sometimes brutally so) and had real fair pricing given what the market is. Still given prices like $600 for a trans cooler and 25% ore more for a fuel cooler would lend me to send them to 'aftermarket' sources.
about 3 seasons ago I helped a Bayliner owner pull the aftercoolers on his 370 B engines. They were completely froze up slightly leaking, plugged and were unusable. I di not buy the parts myself but I remember him saying that he was over $8,000 by the time we had the new ones back in.
About a year before that I helped with a 45 Sea Ray with 450 C engines that had one aftercooler 'crack' due to a latent problem with freezing and the design. That bill was more than half the other one as the aftercooles are not the same. He also had the typical problem with the leak that occurs below the turbo on the lower banjo bolt. One banjo bolt , one copper washer and the sealer costs about $120.
Still had nightmares getting that to hold up.
All in all from what I have seen the C is much more robust engine than the b series.

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  11:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walter, that sear Ray is FUGLY IMHO.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  12:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
trick I learned when a new copper washer was not handy was to sand both sides of the copper washer on fine wet or dry sandpaper. The roughened surfaces must have done something because it sealed.

PS Tony has in the past recommended removing fuel coolers IIRC

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Sep 26 2016 12:35:38

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  14:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"trick I learned when a new copper washer was not handy was to sand both sides of the copper washer on fine wet or dry sandpaper. The roughened surfaces must have done something because it sealed"

Yes - agreed you also need to anneal I t by heating it as well. Normally though I consider washers,bolts, nuts and other fasteners as low cost easy to replace items.

"PS Tony has in the past recommended removing fuel coolers IIRC"

Yes - agreed as well. Unless the owners refused to cruise the engines(6B) below the suggested 40/hp per liter level.
Some do not care that the life will be 'greatly' shortened.

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  16:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Looking at this boat

And this one

I looked at two 36 Sea Rays before I narrowed things down to what I really want. Nice boat, but beware that the electronic touch pad system (forget what it's called) that controls a lot of electrical things is no longer made and apparently replacement parts are nearly impossible to find, and very costly if you can find them.
I didn't get too far in to it because I narrowed the search down to a different style boat pretty early in the search, but from what I can remember, there was some problems with it.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  18:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory S

Walter, that sear Ray is FUGLY IMHO.

LOL,and do agree, but in my neck of the woods the beam and space serve a purpose. Look at it like this Greg, there is the hot chick, then the one not so hot but she services you well LOL

George Carlin

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  18:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JVM225

quote:

quote:

Looking at this boat

And this one

I looked at two 36 Sea Rays before I narrowed things down to what I really want. Nice boat, but beware that the electronic touch pad system (forget what it's called) that controls a lot of electrical things is no longer made and apparently replacement parts are nearly impossible to find, and very costly if you can find them.
I didn't get too far in to it because I narrowed the search down to a different style boat pretty early in the search, but from what I can remember, there was some problems with it.

Astute heads up, and you are correct! This is a concern.

George Carlin

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 26 2016 :  18:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moot point on the new boat, another tire kicker bailed out on my boat. Keeping my boat, will fill the second slip I own with a day boat.Or, will move my boat in the play land where my boat should be.

George Carlin

Doc

RO# 17228

Posted - Sep 27 2016 :  17:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smitty,

I have a boat under purchase contract with a pair of QSC 8.3 500 hp Cummins. Engine hours are 1100.

The current owner said (will bring receipts to survey) that he had the cooling system taken off and cleaned about 2 years ago. The boat has had very little use since then...40-50 hours.

My questions are: Does this engine need the same frequent after cooler service that the 5.9's need? Should I expect to see this on his receipts or is this a totally different animal when it comes to cleaning the cooling system?

Of all the things that I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

35' Albin TE SF

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

JohnC

RO# 204

Posted - Sep 27 2016 :  21:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walter, you should keep the boat and move it out east for a month or two next summer. You'll have a change of scenery, deeper water, and more options for large slips. You'll probably spend more time on the boat and appreciate the extra space :) The extra driving time isn't bad if you're not doing it all season. Early and late in the season there are more options to go to locally without having to worry about slip space.

Homeport: Long Island, New York Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  08:28:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cummins Cs need aftercooler maintenance too. The zinc in the coolers need frequent attention as especially the lower one provides protection when engine is not running. After a while you will learn how often they need changing in your location and use.
Depending on the installation much of the cooling system probably drains when stopped except the lower parts of the coolers so sitting is no guarantee of cooler not degrading.
If I bought them I would recheck the cooling system to get a base line of condition and open the heat exchangers as well to look for old zinc pieces often left by sloppy workers. None of this is a big deal just normal to achieve a long happy life.

Proper loading is just as important on Cs as Bs.
I would buy Cs again in a heartbeat.

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Sep 28 2016 09:18:11

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  12:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"My questions are: Does this engine need the same frequent after cooler service that the 5.9's need? Should I expect to see this on his receipts or is this a totally different animal when it comes to cleaning the cooling system?"

My first thought for someone potentially buying a boat like this is to get some good research data for yourself. The first stop I might advise is to join Boatdiesel(dot)com for $25 and read and ask any questions you have as that would be the best use of funds you may ever have made. My next thought would be to read all of the tips and tricks at Tony Athens site on the Cummins 6C engine at sbmar(dot)com. Here is a link to that site where he speaks about your aftercooler potential issues....
http://www.sbmar.com/category/articles/marine-aftercoolers/
And the last thought is to make sure you have engaged an engine surveyor you trust to check these engine for you prior to purchase as posts on the internet and even a few remote pictures can never replace a good inspection.

Yes - the aftercoolers need to be serviced, cleaned and ,lubed correctly and the initial service is the most important. The longer time period until the first service the more serious the issues and costs might be.
At 1,100 hours the OEM raw water pumps would be either a problem of will be soon, you can read about that as well at Sbmar.
Check for coolant leaks below the turbo's, look for new belts and hoses (you do not state the year), look for replaced risers and coolers (trans, fuel oil).

"The current owner said (will bring receipts to survey) that he had the cooling system taken off and cleaned about 2 years ago."
I do not know how to react to this work since the 6C is not know to have cooling issues, finding out why each job was performed on these engines may be revealing of other issues.

On the sea trial the engine tech will ensure that boost and EGT is good as well as confirm full WOT rpm as a brief test. IMHO - at high cruise I would like to see those engines utilizing in the area of about 250 Hp or so (about 50% on the electronic readout if it has one) or about 14 gph per engine if you have fuel flow gages. A bit higher is not such a big deal but utilizing much more than those numbers will not provide a nice long engine life.
I find the C's can generally run at higher loads per cubic inch of engine displacement as the cyl liners provide some safety margin not seen on the 6b,amongst other reasons. Comparing any loading on each of these engines begins with their configuration as they vary on the same relative build by up to 50%. Certainly my opinions on the 6B's rated at 250 hp vary from the ones that are rated at 380 hp.
Posting this question - "Can the Cummins 6b and 6C be run at reasonably the same loading?" on boatdiesel or asking Tony Athens will result in some lively ,interesting, and opinionated responses.

Good luck with your new potential boat..

Doc

RO# 17228

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  12:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the very thoughtful answer, Smitty. I appreciate it very much.

I have a very experienced Cummins marine engine surveyor scheduled to be aboard for this Friday's survey.

35' Albin TE SF

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  18:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnC

Walter, you should keep the boat and move it out east for a month or two next summer. You'll have a change of scenery, deeper water, and more options for large slips. You'll probably spend more time on the boat and appreciate the extra space :) The extra driving time isn't bad if you're not doing it all season. Early and late in the season there are more options to go to locally without having to worry about slip space.

Thanks John, was thinking the same. Our group was thinking Riverhead, easy commute.

George Carlin

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  18:09:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,
I think you stay at the Montauk Boat Basin, email me costs? I was thinking Riverhead, but for a month, IMHO it paid to do a season. Twice the cost as a month, but if the month I choose stinks, have options.

George Carlin

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  06:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Walter, you should keep the boat and move it out east for a month or two next summer. You'll have a change of scenery, deeper water, and more options for large slips. You'll probably spend more time on the boat and appreciate the extra space :) The extra driving time isn't bad if you're not doing it all season. Early and late in the season there are more options to go to locally without having to worry about slip space."

This is a fantastic idea - perhaps you could include Greenport in your research. The town has plenty to do and has many places to eat and entertain, we have stayed at Townsends and Brewers often but would pick Brewers for a full summer ourselves. From there exploring by dinghy of boat you have a lot of possibilities including Shelter Island coves and the dock straight across has a few stores as well. Cruising out of Greenport the potential destinations are all pretty close including but not limited to Montauk, BI, Vineyard, Watch hill, Noank, Mystic, Thames, Essex Hamburgh cove, and many places on the Ct river. Greenport and all these ports are great options that would easily fit your boat.

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Sep 29 2016 :  07:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Thank you for the very thoughtful answer, Smitty. I appreciate it very much."

Your very welcome - good luck.

Doc

RO# 17228

Posted - Sep 30 2016 :  19:54:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sea trail and survey today. 32.2 knts or 37 mph with no issues on running. The surveyor noted some salt water crystals on the after coolers and heat exchangers and recommended another cleaning. The most notable issue aside from hose clamps, cracks on hoses etc. was a salt water stream from one of the risers. That will be a point of contention before final purchase price. A new riser or a rebuild of one will not be cheap.

35' Albin TE SF

Doc

RO# 17228

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  12:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: Yesterday I got the oil results and one of the engines has coolant in the oil. My mechanic said the only way to find out why is to get into the engine starting with pulling the head.

I walked away from the boat.

35' Albin TE SF

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Oct 05 2016 :  13:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good move

Bruce

folieadeux

RO# 27326

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  13:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walter- we just finished our 7th summer on our 391 Meridian and will say without a doubt you can not find a better boat in the size range. The QSB engines are awesome. No smoke, they never fail to start and will run all day at 2700RPM.

Neal and Barbara
Savannah,GA
"Olive or Twist" 2006 Meridian 391 T-Cummins 380QSB, Onan 9K

Homeport: Savannah.GA Go to Top of Page

firstlight

RO# 16749

Posted - Dec 23 2016 :  12:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought 2006 Tiara 36' with QSB 380 engines
Service after coolers every four years, the more you use it the less you have to service.
Change impellers, every two or three years, they sell a tool that makes the extraction very easy.
Great engines I put 900 hours on them not one issue.

Homeport: City Island New York Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Office view this morning Topic Next Topic: Submarine Book  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.58 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com