BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 54 ]  [ Total: 63 ]  [ Newest Member: tboy ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Napping at the wheel?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Oar goes through a car windshield Topic Next Topic: Surveyor near Westbrook Ct. Found one. Thanks!  

Reel Antsy

RO# 9587

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  17:05:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boat's name says it all!

http://gcaptain.com/caught-on-camera-clueless-boater-crashes-into-washington-state-ferry/

Jamie
1985 Trojan F32

Edited by - Reel Antsy on Dec 05 2016 17:07:07

Homeport: Rockville, MD / Colonial Beach, VA

carver 2557

RO# 11591

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  17:34:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That boys brains are out of order..

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  17:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Auto-pilot...

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  18:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously the small boat driver should have done something but I doubt the uscg is going to look kindly upon a professional licensed ferry captain who doesn't attempt to change course and rams a pleasure boat who was stand on. Heck he waited so long to sound five blasts the final one sounded within a second of the collision

The ferry was give way, waited to long to sound the danger signal and didn't avoid the collision

Pretty clear cut

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

mixman

RO# 25362

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  20:18:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Clueless Boater Crashes Into Washington State Ferry"

Shouldn't that read the other way around?

--Kurt

20mph cruise at 5-7gph. Two hulls are better than one!
This is an ethanol-free boat.

Edited by - mixman on Dec 05 2016 20:22:22

Homeport: Chesapeake Bay Go to Top of Page

JimPend

RO# 5022

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  20:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The smaller boat was wrong as can be. I would bet it was on autopilot, wrong to do, you have to watch. I've it happen many times.

Jim P.

Homeport: Port Clinton, OH Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  21:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem with ferries is they drive like there's track on the sea floor which is exclusively theirs to run on without deviation for any circumstances.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
Alpha One GEN II 5.7L/357CID/4V/275HP
14-1/2*23*3 Alum RWC

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

Bruce Herrington

RO# 2612

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  06:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Small boat could have changed course much easier than ferry, or even slowed down to let ferry pass.. I always try to avoid collision no matter if I'm stand on or not.
Small boat much more maneuverable than loaded ferry..

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Homeport: Cape Coral, FL Go to Top of Page

carver 2557

RO# 11591

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  06:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I encounter ships and Lakers everyday in the St Lawrence river. I know the are there, so I keep a watch for them and move out of their way. When they sound their horn, either you move or be moved. I always choose to move

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  07:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The name of the boat is "Nap Tyme". And people ask questions?

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  07:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Granted speed and maneuverability come into play but the ferry entered and crossed a channel, and was give way. Neither vessel took appropriate actions in time to avoid the collision. However the ferry did at least stop in time to prevent total disaster.

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  07:12:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this would be inland nav rules correct?

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  08:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please don't get me wrong. NAP TIME didn't maintain a proper lookout. Local Knowledge Factor: "Hey they run Big, Hard, Heavy FERRIES around here!" Then the Common Sense Factor: "These things can hurt me."

We have deep draft tankers, container ships, car ships, regular freighters, tugs with 700-ft barges. SO many boaters offer no respect, in maneuvering AND in anchoring right in the channel. CLUELESS is the word!

Basically, I avoid everybody. Some desk jockey just bought a boat. Out there with no training, doesn't know there even ARE NAVRULS, playing tunes, talking on the iPhone. I'm Stand-On? Nope, I'm In Trouble.

Still, Ferry didn't act responsibly.

Have you listened to the bridge audio, USS PORTER, 2012, destroyer crosses tanker in destroyer's danger zone, sounds five short, twice, WHILE cutting 300,000 tons at 15KT off. That's Wavin' Lanterns at Runaway Trains! You can hear the crash on the audio with the bridge gang's voices.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
14-1/2*23*3 Alum RWC

carver 2557

RO# 11591

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  08:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He wasn't napping, he was in the head. I bet the collision scared the crap out of him..

http://komonews.com/news/local/no-injuries-after-state-ferry-struck-by-unpiloted-boat

Edited by - carver 2557 on Dec 06 2016 08:32:43

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  08:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Herrington

Small boat could have changed course much easier than ferry, or even slowed down to let ferry pass.. I always try to avoid collision no matter if I'm stand on or not.
Small boat much more maneuverable than loaded ferry..

Totally agree. Graveyards are filled with people who had the right of way.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  08:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clearing this up.

Can't Stand Look Out

Sitting in Out House

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
14-1/2*23*3 Alum RWC

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  11:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nap Tyme is very lucky the ferry did not put on reverse thrust 10 or so seconds earlier so as to end up plowing into his beam with the ferry's bow with a good chance of pushing him under. It's interesting to watch the AP try to get the vessel right back on the original course after the strike.

Both parties certainly at fault. Great that there was essentially no damage to the vessels.

This is one of those ironic rare times when using one's head was a very counterproductive bad move(ment)!

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  11:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet the captain of Nap Tyme will never go below to take a crap while under auto-pilot. Right of way or not, he was clearly in the wrong not standing watch.

Roy

RO# 114

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  20:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with PascalG. Both sides didn't perform properly, but it was the ferry captain's duty to give way.

"Livin' life in the laid back lane" - Sunny Jim

Homeport: Sarasota FL Go to Top of Page

Good Grief

RO# 13137

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  07:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
while both are at fault, the Rule of General Responsibility (Rule 2) seems to have limited applicability to Ferries . . ..

Rule 8 should apply (to both boats, not just the recreational vessel) here; and let's not forget the ferry here in NYC that backed out of a slip into a flight of kayaks - where Rule 5 should apply.

-Gene
If you're not a liberal at 20, you don't have a heart. If you're not a conservative at 40, you don't have a brain - Winston Churchill

Homeport: Viking Boat Yard, Verplank NY Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  09:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rule 15.

Phillbo

RO# 2553

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  11:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That girl sure has a potty mouth.

Homeport: Arizona Go to Top of Page

Reel Antsy

RO# 9587

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  13:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phillbo

That girl sure has a potty mouth.

It's not like it's an everyday occurrence you're on a ferry and a boat plows into it. Otherwise, she may have said,
Golly-Gee, lookie there...I think that boat might hit us! lol

Jamie
1985 Trojan F32

Homeport: Rockville, MD / Colonial Beach, VA Go to Top of Page

nwaring

RO# 16045

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  16:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had it been any other type of boat, a bayliner something like that, it would've just crumbled," said Clarke Swanson the captain of the boat, 'Nap Tyme' that collided with the ferry.

Why did he have to throw Bayliner under the bus

"Interlude"
87 Mainship 36DC
2006 22' Angler/225hp E-Tec

Homeport: Ashtabula Oh - Punta Gorda Fl Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  16:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Why did he have to throw Bayliner under the bus "

'cause it was a ferry?

Bill

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

gaineso

RO# 10303

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  16:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RULE 1 is WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!!. And it doesn't matter who's "Stand On" vessel. A boat that size gets out of the way of a BIG A$$ FERRY!

As CWMS said "Graveyards are filled with people who had the right of way."

Live Free!! Die Well!!

Homeport: St. Augustine Go to Top of Page

Ironworks

RO# 20174

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  19:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rule 18 states Vessel not under command has privilege. Ferry Captain did sound danger signal and try to back down as he was blowing another danger signal before impact. This is sure not cut and dried. Percentage of blame will apply.

44' Viking ACMY Diesel
28 ft Omega 454 Gas IB

Homeport: Toledo Ohio. Go to Top of Page

mdoherty

RO# 12220

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  20:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For all those saying the stand on vessel should have maneuvered and who are quick to say the small baot should stay out of the way of big boats and ferries how do you square that with the OBLIGATION to maintain course and speed. I understand in the end game avoiding collision is paramount but it seems like the obligation of the stand on vessel is not taken seriously.

"(i) Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way the other shall keep her course and speed."

Mike

Homeport: Leesburg VA Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  23:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mdoherty

For all those saying the stand on vessel should have maneuvered and who are quick to say the small baot should stay out of the way of big boats and ferries how do you square that with the OBLIGATION to maintain course and speed. I understand in the end game avoiding collision is paramount but it seems like the obligation of the stand on vessel is not taken seriously.

"(i) Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way the other shall keep her course and speed."

In this case I expect the small vessel ...may (very small "may")... not even be considered to have standing as "Stand-On" , as the captain (sole POB?) had abandoned the helm , apparently had no clue whatsoever there was a ferry on an intersecting course, and acted contrary to his obligation to keep a proper look out, and as you say, his ultimate obligation to do his best to avoid a collision.

In any situation like this, can you really imagine that the small vessel captain would not have submitted to the so-called rational "Rule of Tonnage" and understood well enough ahead of the intersection point that the large ferry has very great inertia and is relatively much harder to maneuver quickly or stop than his own vulnerable vessel... IF... he or someone had been keeping proper watch at the helm?

There was not any good rationale for the ferry captain to think the small vessel was "not under command" , since it was underway, until it was too late. And of course he still had to consider the other vessel stand-on since an obvious alternate maneuver by the small boat remained lacking.

I suspect intentionally leaving the helm unattended with no watch while underway on A/P to visit the head in a ferry channel would not fit any arguable definition of "not under command" in terms of liability in a collision. Nothing was intentionally displayed or imparted by any other means to indicate "N.U.C." while underway.

Still the ferry was the give way vessel in a crossing situation , so as I think most all agree, both operators were at fault.

You know only an idiot or blissfully unaware would not have easily taken deliberate, sufficient (and obvious to the other captain) action to avoid the video'd "holy-potty-mouth" result.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  23:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we are in a time where idiots need special consideration and support :)

Seriously though... can someone point to where the rule of tonnage can be found in the colregs because I have never been able to find it !

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  00:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pascal, I agree that a strict reading of the Rules would almost certainly indicate that the ferry should have altered course/speed to accommodate the smaller vessel.

That said, had i been at the helm, far ahead of any "rules checking point, I would have altered the course/speed of my much smaller vessel to avoid any possible confusion. ie: I can maneuver easily; he cannot. It is easier simply to avoid the "conflict".

"Why" you might ask. Had I ( smaller vessel ) held course/speed as in the video, I could easily have been dead right. And, as the video demonstrates, the ferry appears to have been applying "the Rule Of Tonnage" ( NOT found in any Rules ) so there would have been an issue.

Sometimes, especially in a case where there is a serious size-mismatch ( or perceived "professional" vs "recreational" situation ), the larger vessel just continues onward blithely, even when the Rules contradict such response.

I'd rather avoid the issue. Slow down, change course, pull out a camera and photograph the scenery, but anything to alter the situation so that any possible debte on the issue does not occur in real time.

SO, Do I use the Rule of Tonnage? Not officially. But avoidance of a traffic conflict is prudent, as as far as I am concerned, and comes under the ( unofficial ) Rule Zero: "Thou shalt not hit anything".

As far as this specific incident,the smaller vessel should have maintained ( he did ) and had "proper watch" ( he did not ), and the ferry should have altered course to move around the crossing vessel safely. ( He did not ).

A bad day on the water, and the Ferry crew will likely get dinged.

Bill

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  00:47:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PascalG

Well we are in a time where idiots need special consideration and support :)

Seriously though... can someone point to where the rule of tonnage can be found in the colregs because I have never been able to find it !

That ones not '72 COLREGS, that one is Laws of Physics.

We both know the NavRules well and we both know WHY they are what they are, but we also know there was little more that ferry could have done to avoid getting hit by that P/C. Video makes it look like he was backing hard. What else could he have really done to mitigate the risk of collision once the P/C put itself on a CBDR course- especially in light of the P/C failing in it's responsibility to avoid collision, failing to maintain a proper lookout, failing to maintain a safe speed, and so on?

If everyone kept a lookout and communicated, these things would never happen. 9 times out of ten with these P/C vs. M/V incidents, if someone had taken the initiative to pick up the microphone and work things out like grown ups do instead of boasting to their pax about how they have the "right of way" and that several thousand ton steel beast has to give way even though it can't actually do so, but they're willing to kill everyone onboard to prove the point - most incidents wouldn't happen. Then you have the IDIOTS that go down below to hit the head while Iron Mike is steering CBDR on a target that shows up on RADAR like a several hundred foot wide by 30-50 high wall of steel generally does. Not much you can do about that kind of abject stupidity, but in my personal opinion, I wouldn't condemn ANYONE on the M/V crew for it.

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  01:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
( NC, I agree the ferry crew should not get dinged , but I think they likely will. )

Bill

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  08:47:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But this is exactly why the rules are written a they are... In this case the idiot running the rec vessel was using th head but what if he had been incapacitated? The ferry should have taken action earlier to avoid the collision, you can clearly see in that he only reversed at the very last moment.

The words "rule of tonnage" are misleading... I prefer the law of common sense.:)

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Veebyes

RO# 11224

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  09:26:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The law of tonnage will always prevail. Steel vs fiberglass will always win. Ferrys, no matter where in the world, run on rails just like trains. Every experienced recreational boater knows this rule. No matter who has right of way give way to ferrys. The view from inside a ferry wheelhouse is much more restricted than the typical small boat.

Homeport: Bermuda Go to Top of Page

L. Keith

RO# 1615

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  12:49:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"if someone had taken the initiative to pick up the microphone and work things out like grown ups" November Charlie

If you learn anything from this thread, learn the above. USE THE VHF TO MAKE CROSSING/PASSING ARRANGEMENTS. MAKE THE RADIO CALL! Leave the interpretation of the Rules to the Federal District Judges, their opinion is the only one that matters.

Homeport: N. Gulf of Mexico Go to Top of Page

Roy

RO# 114

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  22:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I continue to think that the ferry captain should have steered to starboard to avoid the collision. Having said that suppose instead of a ferry it was the Oasis of the Seas, what rule applies and how does that work out.

"Livin' life in the laid back lane" - Sunny Jim

Homeport: Sarasota FL Go to Top of Page

Chesagansett

RO# 9880

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  23:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Contributory negligence from both captains should and probably will be the outcome. As far as the question of "What else could he have really done to mitigate the risk of collision" ... Well, at the point the video starts, there is not much he could go. He waited too long. Maybe turn sharply to starboard, but likely still too late. But that's not the only question. The question should also be what could the ferry captain have done _much earlier_ in the scene, well before what we can see on video. Look at that video again. There is a long open stretch of water behind the boat. The ferry captain should have seen him coming easily from more than a mile off. The smaller boat was likely maintaining speed and heading all that way and on a projected collision course. The video shows impact 24 seconds after the start of the video. What was the ferry captain doing for the minute or 2 before that video started as the boat was approaching on collision course? He was probably _relying_ on the unofficial "rule of tonnage", counting on the boat to give way, instead of being proactive and starting to give way himself, well ahead of time. The ferry captain would have had plenty of time to steer a few degrees to starboard earlier on had he not relied upon the smaller boat to give way.

Of course the smaller boat captain failed to keep watch, and if he was at watch, he should avoid collision at all cost. That goes without saying. ... But, all too often, larger vessels are wrongly _relying_ upon the small vessel to eventually give way, even though the large vessel could have time to give way _IF_ they were proactive from a mile+ away and not relying up smaller stand-on vessels to give way.

Those are the rules and what should be done. In practice, I give those hunks of metal a wide margin to cross, even if I have to give way when I should be stand-on. But, the ones who piss me off are the sportfish battlewagons who don't give way when they are supposed to. They have no excuse. It seems the sportfishers are guilty of this even more often than the weekend yahoos in rental bow riders.

Glenn
Cape Coral, FL
Four Winns Sundowner 245

Edited by - Chesagansett on Dec 08 2016 23:44:06

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Dec 09 2016 :  13:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworks

Rule 18 states Vessel not under command has privilege. Ferry Captain did sound danger signal and try to back down as he was blowing another danger signal before impact. This is sure not cut and dried. Percentage of blame will apply.

Neither of those vessels were NUC at the time.

If either was they should have been displaying the proper day shapes.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Dec 09 2016 :  14:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by L. Keith

"if someone had taken the initiative to pick up the microphone and work things out like grown ups" November Charlie

If you learn anything from this thread, learn the above. USE THE VHF TO MAKE CROSSING/PASSING ARRANGEMENTS. MAKE THE RADIO CALL! Leave the interpretation of the Rules to the Federal District Judges, their opinion is the only one that matters.

There's the rub, for all we know the ferry skipper was calling on the radio but the operator of the smaller vessel was apparently in the head so I doubt he would hear the call.

May guess is the ferry captain figured there was no way that guy couldn't see him and waited to long to do everything he could to avoid the collision not realizing until it was to late that the smaller vessel was unmanned at the time and was not going to do anything on its own to avoid the collision.

Chesagansett

RO# 9880

Posted - Dec 09 2016 :  18:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"May guess is the ferry captain figured there was no way that guy couldn't see him"

Related to that, there is no way that the ferry captain didn't see the other boat much sooner than what is shown in the video. He could could have given way much much sooner when there was still time. There is clear visibility. I think the unofficial "Rule of tonnage" can often be summed up as "the arrogance of tonnage". It's the attitude of "I'm bigger, so let him give way." even though he had time to adjust course much much sooner. Sure, there are times when large vessels can't give way. But, it sure looks like he could've seen this one coming from a mile away (or more). Both captains will be found at fault.

Glenn
Cape Coral, FL
Four Winns Sundowner 245

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Dec 09 2016 :  21:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think toga ve of tonnage describes this incident pretty wel, although in many situation the "big" boat doesn't have much choices. Ferrys are different from ocean going ships and are more maneuverable because of how and where they operate. As you can see in the video once the captain decided to stop, the boat stopped unlike a 1000' tanker or container ship

Personally when I run into the path of large ships I make my intentions clear by changing course early so that my intentions are clear In doubt I call the ship in 16

Now no matter what the situation is, no matter how big your boat is or how small the other guy maybe, you don't get yourself pushed in a corner where you re trapped and can no longer avoid a collision Whenever I m stand on and the other guy seems to Be ignoring the situation I take action before it is too late. It often happens in our home marina channel which is pretty narrow (100'' to 150') and frequently small boats (mostly sail) attempt to force the issue ignoring rule 9. As tempting as it maybe to force the issue, and as much as maybe wondering why a laser would want to cross in front of an 84 footer I always make sure that no matter what I can avoid a collision

Flip it around and when I m sailing either out 12' cat boat or 26' gaffer and you can be sure I stay out of the way of anyone in the channel... common sense

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Bliss

RO# 2743

Posted - Dec 10 2016 :  13:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been years since I last posted this. I think I'll do it again.

Here lies the body of George O'Day.
He died maintaining his right of way.
He was right, dead right as he sailed along,
But he is just as dead as if he were wrong.

That was fun!

Homeport: Reef Point Racine, WI Go to Top of Page

jacko

RO# 29042

Posted - Dec 10 2016 :  13:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having fished those waters for many years I have a few observations.
The the Ferry will not deviate from its course or slow their approach to the island or to shore where it came from. So look an out or get mowed down. They are about 3/4 the way across the channel. The point in the seen is a destination fishing spot on the incoming tide.So there are normally small boats in that area. Where the Ferry left from there is a large marina and a heavily used boat launch.You would expect to see several boats at any give time in that area. Out where this occurs is a less traversed area. Also from the looks of the sky this is late in the day as the sun is below the shoreline to the west (Left). To me it is obvious that the Captain of the Ferry does not attempt to reverse course until just before impact.It does not mean that he did not come out of forward gear before he goes into reverse. I am not sure how quick you can reverse the Ferry. I would guess that Another thing I see it the ferry has passengers that the captain clearly responsible for. As for the smaller vessel he is clearly putting himself at risk. The water temperature at best is 49 degrees. If I need to use the head while underway I have someone take the helm or I shut her down and put her in neutral than go do what I need to do.

Edited by - jacko on Dec 10 2016 13:29:31

Homeport: Welcome MD Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Dec 10 2016 :  17:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bliss

It has been years since I last posted this. I think I'll do it again.

Here lies the body of George O'Day.
He died maintaining his right of way.
He was right, dead right as he sailed along,
But he is just as dead as if he were wrong.

Like I said...graveyards are full of people who had the right of way.

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Dec 11 2016 :  12:34:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko

Having fished those waters for many years I have a few observations.
The the Ferry will not deviate from its course or slow their approach to the island or to shore where it came from. So look an out or get mowed down. They are about 3/4 the way across the channel. The point in the seen is a destination fishing spot on the incoming tide.So there are normally small boats in that area. Where the Ferry left from there is a large marina and a heavily used boat launch.You would expect to see several boats at any give time in that area. Out where this occurs is a less traversed area. Also from the looks of the sky this is late in the day as the sun is below the shoreline to the west (Left). To me it is obvious that the Captain of the Ferry does not attempt to reverse course until just before impact.It does not mean that he did not come out of forward gear before he goes into reverse. I am not sure how quick you can reverse the Ferry. I would guess that I Another thing I see it the ferry has passengers that the captain clearly responsible for. As for the smaller vessel he is clearly putting himself at risk. The water temperature at best is 49 degrees. If I need to use the head while underway I have someone take the helm or I shut her down and put her in neutral than go do what I need to do.

RO-RO's and ferries do not, historically, react well to sudden maneuvers. Crash stops and full rudders are, I assume, very last case maneuvers.

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Dec 14 2016 :  10:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.passagemaker.com/articles/technical/navigation/collision-avoidance-understanding-right-of-way-to-avoid-certain-disaster/?utm_source=passagemaker-enewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=textlink&utm_campaign=enewsletter-1213

GeorgeKohler

RO# 33821

Posted - Dec 14 2016 :  11:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Had it been any other type of boat, a bayliner something like that, it would've just crumbled,"

What's up with that quote? Bayliners aren't sea-worthy?

Homeport: Raystown, PA Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Oar goes through a car windshield Topic Next Topic: Surveyor near Westbrook Ct. Found one. Thanks!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.56 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com