BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 10 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 115 ]  [ Newest Member: Carmen ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Mattress
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lake Erie Ice Topic Next Topic: steel house boat in water for winter  

HappyKamper

RO# 33487

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  21:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't go another year on the foam mattress thing I have now.
I searched mattress in the history.
I was wondering what the updates are on the mattresses that were purchased?

Thanks

Homeport:

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  21:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We went to a custom foam mattress place in NYS and asked if they could cut it to a template we provided. They agreed. So I made a template out of heacy duty paper and they took a 3 density foam mattress and trimmed the outline to fit, sewed up the borders and we have been happy as clams since.

I'd work with an independent mattress shop that does multi density foam and see if I could swing a deal. The basic foam the ship with boats is junk.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  22:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google Custom Comfort by Winn. We have a number of friends who have these mattresses in their homes and are very happy with them. They also do custom mattresses for boats and RV's. Our next mattress will come from them.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

PilotError

RO# 13077

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  07:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My local independent mattress store is able to have mattresses made in any size. The owner took measurements and delivered a perfectly shaped pillow top for my aft cabin. Didn't cost any more than a regular mattress for my bed at home.

Homeport: Lake Champlain Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  08:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our little boat has no such accommodation, no such room, but our RV does. It uses the 60-wide by 76-long "short queen" instead of the usual 80-long "standard queen."

I need to learn more about custom mattresses. Places like Camping World sell "RV mattresses" of course. At inflated prices, but what's worse, none on display. Order one and then see how it feels when it arrives...? Nope, not us. Being able to experience the materials, even in a showroom in a different size mattress, would really be wonderful.

We did what a number of RVers have done. Bought a standard queen, UN-stitched one end, cut 4-inches off, and sewed it back. This makes for an unfinished look on one end, but it's been fine. Can't be an innerspring mattress though. Have to find what you want in a foam mattress.

Next one we need, I'll try to find a local shop that can make one...

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
Alpha One GEN II 5.7L/357CID/4V/275HP
14-1/2*23*3 Alum RWC

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  12:49:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is essentially how they did ours only ours required a taper towards the foot as well. I think they used an electric carving knife to trim it up.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Dec 20 2016 :  14:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used a Hamilton Beach electric knife and it worked well. This last time I used our 12" chef's knife, appropriately named Dexter. I liked him for the job, because it's very easy to keep the broad side of the blade square with the cut. A professional could probably re-shape the cover and its pillow top. We just wrapped it around, and did an overcast stitch with carpet thread and a curved needle. And put it at the head of the bed, against the coach wall. Not really pretty but that imperfection does not keep me awake.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
Alpha One GEN II 5.7L/357CID/4V/275HP
14-1/2*23*3 Alum RWC

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Lake Erie Ice Topic Next Topic: steel house boat in water for winter  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.39 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com