BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 6 | Guests: 98 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: FrankJ5 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Busy day in S FL
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Maybe its me... but I d never pull that stunt Topic Next Topic: Aground  

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  13:16:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SeaTow is working a distress call from a man "sitting on top of a capsized vessel".

And this boat: http://www.seafairmiami.com is currently aground in the ICW near the entrance to the New River.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  13:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plus a plus a front is coming through with very high winds right now!

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  13:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been watching the line approaching all morning. It arrived a little earlier than expects, we were supposed to go out but I called it off

Sea Fair is based in Miami, big one... I wonder how often they go up to FTL. Related to the dredging maybe?

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

Capt. Bill1

RO# 2017

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  15:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was stuck in an area they had already dredged.

Looked like the wind blew him over to the edge of the channel.

He took out one marker, got off, headed towards Bahia Mar and is now back at a dock at a private home across from where he went aground.

Homeport: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  16:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch...

This morning I watched a Bunch of boats going out, totally ignoring the line approaching. Sail, power, small, racers.... they all came back early. I can't understand how folks don't watching the weather.

Then a couple of hours ago, at the peak of squall line, I see this 45 jeanneau coming back,in, one guy with two wet kids in the cockpit... goes down the fairway, can't back into his slip, aborts, comes back out turn around ad tries again. Repeats two more time, catching and ripping his Bimini frame no a neighbors anchor... I called him from the boat (we r on the tee head) and he admitted it was his first time out on the boat and wanted some help.. I flagged a dinghy passing by to pick me up and drop me on this boat... it wasn't just his first time taking the boat out but his first boat!

At first I thought I'd just help him with the lines but it was so bad that I had to take over. Didn't tell him I had only backed a monohull that size into a slip once before in my life but there was nothing to loose at this point. Bow thruster was useless against the wind but I did ok getting the thing in without breaking anything. After we were done, turned out there was another kid below and wifie hiding out... nice guy but I way over his head!

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  18:06:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There seems to be a very pervasive concept that, "I can drive a car easily. A boat is just like a car, but with no roads, so I can do it very easily."

Those who actually know how to operate a boat know that this concept is incorrect. ( SO wrong, on so many levels! )

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  19:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now on 16, USCG sector Miami is coordinating with Miami fireboat and air rescue to airlift FOUR kayakers stuck somewhere on the bay ....

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  22:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate over controlling government regualations, but the fact that someone with no experience can just jump in a 45 foot with their family on board and head out with a storm coming in doesn't seem right. That same guy can't take a jet ski out without taking a class here in NY, but the 45 foot boat is fine. Not big on government control and unnecessary laws but you could probably make a case for a written and hands on sea test to operate a boat that size. A small amount of common sense would help as well.
Jim

Edited by - 32carv on Jan 07 2017 22:04:59

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jan 07 2017 :  22:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you really think that the mandatory class really would have help this guy, or prepare a jet skier ? It doesn't... for all I know he took a class or course

Heck the USCG 6 pack/OUPV doesn't provide any boat handling instruction

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

mintregila

RO# 13060

Posted - Jan 08 2017 :  08:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched a guy in a center console leave the docks next door to us right after the first line came through. Where could you possibly be going that is so important?

Mark I -
06 Pursuit 3070 OS Exp
95 26' Wahoo CC
03 Blackfin/SaltShaker 29 Combi - Sold
05 290 Amberjack - Sold
90 Viking 38 - Sold
84 Trojan F36 - Sold

Homeport: Long Beach, NY/Pompano Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Jan 08 2017 :  09:20:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A class may help the guy but hands on training and showing that he can handle the boat with a minimum competency driving test sure would make the boaters around him a bit safer. Just my opinion based on some unfortunate circumstances with a close friend.
Jim

Live2Dive

RO# 13471

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  13:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought our first (and only) saltwater boat (Carver 530) in 2005. I had other freshwater lake boats (23') and therefore thought I knew more than I did. I did get good advice from our broker who also kept us out of trouble with the purchase. I had a licensed captain that cared for the boat. We were living in Ohio and kept the boat at a private dock up the New River. We bought the boat in February and the first time I took it out by myself was Thanksgiving. Over the course of the year we had many trips up and down the river, a few trips to Key Largo and a trip to Bimini. It was a graduated education. Piloting was the easy part. When and where was the hard part. All together a couple of thousand bucks. Best money I ever spent.

Mark

Carver 530 Voyager
"Turtle Time"
Blazer Bay 1960
"But my chart plotter says the rock is over there..."

Homeport: Indian Harbour Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  22:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, common is not so common any more. Your approach was very responsible.
Jim

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Feb 06 2017 :  22:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, common is not so common any more. Your approach was very responsible.
Jim

Previous Topic: Maybe its me... but I d never pull that stunt Topic Next Topic: Aground  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.45 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com