BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 103 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: merc9193 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Houseboat Soft Aground
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Video of our summer Topic Next Topic: LifeForm LED underwater dock lights. Any good?  

BJFlittner

RO# 33284

Posted - Feb 11 2017 :  09:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a '91 Gibson 50' Standard fiberglass houseboat with twin inboards (& rudders) on the Ohio River in Evansville,IN. We often anchor behind a small island in 3'to 4' depth (we draw less than 30") with a sandy, pebble bottom. Sometimes, the downriver lock & dam has unexpectedly let out 1' to 2' of water overnight and left us on the 'soft'. The Gibson hull appears to flare up a bit toward the stern, and my question is: Does that protect my running gear from damage, or will sitting on a soft bottom put the boat's weight on the the props, rudders, shafts, struts, etc. causing damages?

Homeport: IN

captainwjm

RO# 1933

Posted - Feb 11 2017 :  11:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most Gibsons have v-drives, so your exposed shafts and props are less at risk due to their relatively short length. However, any unequal pressure, such as from an isolated rock, would be problematic. Rudders, likewise. If it were me, and I've had houseboats and been a river boater for 40 years, I'd check exactly how far below the hull my exposed parts were. If more than a few inches, I'd be leery of letting them sit on the bottom, soft or not. And, I'd keep a close watch on the shaft and rudder logs for excessive weeping, which could indicate out-of-alignment.

Bill
65' Pacific Mariner
"Travis McGee"
currently Islamorada, Fla. Keys

Edited by - captainwjm on Feb 11 2017 11:34:52

Homeport: NASHVILLE, TN Go to Top of Page

BJFlittner

RO# 33284

Posted - Feb 12 2017 :  09:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx Bill, They are V-drives. She's on-trailer for winter storage -- different attitude than in-water, but I should be able to sight lowest keel depth to running gear depth.

Homeport: IN Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Video of our summer Topic Next Topic: LifeForm LED underwater dock lights. Any good?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com