BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 55 ]  [ Total: 64 ]  [ Newest Member: tboy ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Silverton Owners
 New Silverton Owner
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Silverton 310  fuel tank problem  

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  09:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So looks like my post didn't take.

I have recently "jumped ship" so to speak from the Carver Owners group to the Silverton. Sold my 31 Carver Mid Cabin Express last year and jumped right back in with a 37 1984 Silverton Convertible.

Both motors were pulled to have fuel tanks pulled and refurbished along with entire fuel system (including carbs).

All new wet exhaust, risers and even manifolds on both motors. Cleaned and painted when pulled. Bilge is super clean.

During seatrial after fuel replaced, owner ran aground and had to pull boat to have shafts struts and all the fun goodies that go along with it replaced.......then....found another boat so decided a good time to sell. This was his dads boat (original owner). I finally think I locked onto my "forever boat".

Now for the cringe question.....and I'm a multi "old boat" owner so I kinda know my way around a bilge, what's the "everyone knows" issues about this model?

I love the year, the layout, the power and almost everything about this boat but want to be prepared.
Douglas Warren
"You never get sumthin' for nuthin'"

Homeport: ny

Planeguy

RO# 1963

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  09:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will love the 37' Convertible. I have a 1986 34' Convertible and it is a good solid boat. I am also a member of the Silverton Owner's Club which is another great group of people to share ideas with people who have your exact boat. Enjoy, spring is coming soon.

My tolerance for Islam ended on 9-11-01!

Homeport: Huron, Ohio Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  18:37:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on new ride. After 20 years of Carver ownership I now own Monterey 298ss. Hard to get used to but dig in, you will figure out the Silverton systems. You're model is a nice layout. If it's the one with side exhaust, they usually get spider cracks around the through hull. Love the look of Silvertons but always feel less stable than similar size Carver to me. Good luck!
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

arks1

RO# 790

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  21:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a 34C, same year. Had it since 2004 and its a keeper. Love the teak trim in the cabin!
The deck is cored so watch any attachment points for potential moisture. Also, the panels adjacent to the sliding door and the 'dreaded triangles' along each side of the cockpit can wick water if not sealed at the bottom. Not sure about the 37 but my 34 had a non-accessible bilge area directly under the steps to the galley. I cut in an access point to keep it clean and dry.
Good luck with your new/ old ride!

"Winter Dream"
Silverton 34C
White/Green

Homeport: Havre de Grace, Md. Go to Top of Page

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Feb 14 2017 :  22:21:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What type of mufflers do you have on your 37?

Just asking because the boat came with galvanized boxes that corrode and could possible sink the boat or fill the boat with CO.

I found a replacement muffler that was not made of metal.

"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

Homeport: Monmouth Beach NJ Go to Top of Page

ranger42c

RO# 32710

Posted - Feb 15 2017 :  07:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarren

Now for the cringe question.....and I'm a multi "old boat" owner so I kinda know my way around a bilge, what's the "everyone knows" issues about this model?

Not so many owners around here, I think; haven't seen many brand-related posts over the last few years. Many are in the owner's club...

-Chris

Selby Bay, South River

Homeport: Londontowne, MD Go to Top of Page

VTBoater

RO# 30718

Posted - Feb 15 2017 :  12:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have to disagree on the Silverton ride. I used to own a Carver 356, which I miss still very much, but it's ride through steep breaking 4 plus foot waves was not as good as my Silverton. Similar length, but the extra beam and hull shape make it handle better in big water from what I have experienced. I believe it is the same hull at the 37 convertible.
Mine has those galvonized muffler boxes, I better take a good look at them this spring.
Good luck with your Silverton dwarren.

1988 Silverton 37 MY

Homeport: Colchester, VT Go to Top of Page

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Feb 15 2017 :  20:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to Silverton mufflers.

The ones I bought were the bottom 2 black ones. 2x4" in, 1x5" out.

http://www.marineengineparts.com/exhaust-manifolds-risers/exhaust-mufflers/silverton-luhrs-mainshi/centek-1600805-replacement-muffler-for-silverton-mainship-luhrs.html

Cheaper back then.

http://www.marineengineparts.com/exhaust-manifolds-risers/exhaust-mufflers/silverton-luhrs-mainshi.html

"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

Homeport: Monmouth Beach NJ Go to Top of Page
  Topic Next Topic: Silverton 310  fuel tank problem  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.47 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com