BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: Heckjo ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 hydraulic steering - loss of hydraulic fluid
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1986 32 Carver Mariner Topic Next Topic: 48 Floresent lights in salon behind valances  

RBD

RO# 16247

Posted - Feb 17 2017 :  17:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a 2002 Carver 350 Mariner with the SeaStar hydraulic steering system and loose about 1/2 ounce of fluid over a 6-7 week period. Cannot see any leakage around the helm pump connections or at the cylinder connections. Seems to leak that small amount and then stops, fortunately never loose steering.
Where could the leak be located that it does not drain the entire system ? This is a flybridge helm and the wheel is the highest point of the steering system.
Does anyone know how the hydraulic lines are run from the helm down to the cylinder ?
Should I consider running new lines ? Is it even possible ?

thanks for any suggestions

Rich

Homeport: Buffalo, NY

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 17 2017 :  19:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look where the rod exits the cylinder

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

RBD

RO# 16247

Posted - Feb 18 2017 :  10:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Bruce I will check that out, but if it is leaking there, since it is the lowest point of the system, would it not drain all of the hydraulic fluid over time?

Homeport: Buffalo, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 18 2017 :  13:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably only leaks under pressure when turning the wheel or shaft movement. A leak in a hose middle would be surprising without
Some sort of abrasions

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Feb 19 2017 :  19:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did a 'repair' on a similar set up though not fly bridge. Replaced the seals on the ram and never got a call back. Never found the actual cause. Was wondering if water/wave movement against the rudder was enuff to move the ram.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

RBD

RO# 16247

Posted - Feb 21 2017 :  14:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looked for seepage at rod, nothing there or in the bilge . Would hydraulic evaporate?
The system leaks about 1/2 ounce and then stops loosing fluid. Holds at that level and continues to work adequately

timeout

RO# 4575

Posted - Feb 21 2017 :  17:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you ever properly bled the system? I wonder if every time you open the cap, you find a "half ounce" of air that has risen to the top of the system. You replace that half ounce with fluid, and the process starts over again. It's like bleeding the system a little at a time. Another possibility is, if you have a pressurized system, the air reservoir is leaking and dropping the pressure, coupled with air in the line.

Homeport: 1000 Islands, NY Go to Top of Page

RBD

RO# 16247

Posted - Feb 22 2017 :  15:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Timeout I will follow your suggestion and bleed the system per the manuals instructions.
You could be right. I did see air bubbles in the clear fill tube and I thought since they rose to the highest point of the system , that the both lines were free of air. Perhaps that conclusion was incorrect and I still had some air somewhere
We are leaving for Florida next Tuesday and will have to wait until we return in Mid April to perform the proper purge procedure

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Feb 23 2017 :  07:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure you aren't over filling it and it is pushing out the pressure release/overflow valve?
You need to make sure you follow the direction to fill and bleed the system. If the ram is in the wrong position when you fill it then there won't be room for the fluid when you turn the wheel the other way. I only know this from experience.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 1986 32 Carver Mariner Topic Next Topic: 48 Floresent lights in salon behind valances  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com