BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 49 ]  [ Total: 51 ]  [ Newest Member: stevelinn ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Chesapeake and Delaware Bays
 Aquia Creek - Potomac River, Stafford, VA
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Chesapeake Bay By Air  

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Feb 22 2017 :  19:15:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a boat that's stored on the Aquia Creek off of the Potomac River. The area is new to me, though I'm not new to boating. My plan is to explore the Potomac river this Spring/Summer. I live in Richmond, VA.

I'm looking for suggestions on fun day trips, overnight trips, where to anchor, etc.

Thanks
Formerly "MrsRobinson" on here
2000 Monterey 302

Homeport: VA

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  20:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't want you to feel ignored but, unfortunately, I have no experience on the Potomac except vis tour boat.

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

Reel Antsy

RO# 9587

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  21:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm below you in Colonial Beach, VA. Day trips or weekends there, Cobb Island, Coles Point, St Mary's River area have always been good to visit. Colonial Beach is about 38 miles from the mouth of the river at Point Lookout.

Solomon's Island is another 20 some miles up the bay. Open a chart book, close your eyes and put your finger down and take a trip. ;-) Don't know what size boat or its capability though. Just below Cobb Island and the other side of river is Shark's Tooth Island. Fun day trip or anchor. Clear beach and you will find sharks teeth there. I do every time I go. You'll need a seasonal permit as it's privately owned but simple to get.

Jamie
1985 Trojan F32

Edited by - Reel Antsy on Mar 14 2017 08:49:27

Homeport: Rockville, MD / Colonial Beach, VA Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Mar 14 2017 :  09:30:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, what kind of boat, small runabout or large cruiser that you can live on for a few days or weeks?
Secondly, I hope you don't plan to keep your boat that far up river. You'd have to shoot me first before I'd drive up 95 every weekend to get on my boat. Also, the river is kind of small up there and it is the high rent district. Move downriver to Westmoreland County or even better, Northumberland county. Slip rents will be way cheaper, property tax on your boat will be way cheaper and you've got a really big river to explore.
I've been on the Yeocomico River for many years and can't think of a better place to go. 1-1/2 hours from Richmond.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

Pathfinder

RO# 30649

Posted - Mar 26 2017 :  12:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stafford County did away with their personal property tax on boats as did Prince William County. Westmoreland still has a tax on boats.

If you at one of the Aquia marinas close to the Potomac you have a minimal no-wake zone. If the boat is at Aquia Harbor you have a long, slow ride with skinny water (at low tide) to get to the river.

2001 Sea Ray 400 Sedan Bridge
Cummins 8.3L Turbos

Homeport: Colonial Beach, VA Go to Top of Page

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Mar 28 2017 :  13:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boat is at Hope Springs Marina, in the dry stack. 302 Monterey cabin cruiser, it's my 6th boat. I've been out of boating for a while and want to try the dry stack before I commit to a wet slip. I looked at Colonial Beach, nice but I prefer to be a little further North right now, that may change.

Previous 2 boats were a Regal 3780 and a Sea Ray 330DA. My goal is day trips and overnighters, anchor overnight or visit other marinas overnight. The commute from Richmond to Stafford is 1 hour door to door, and I love it. My previous commute from Richmond to Deltaville was 90+ minutes. No personal property tax.

Formerly "MrsRobinson" on here
2000 Monterey 302

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page
  Topic Next Topic: Chesapeake Bay By Air  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com