BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 67 ]  [ Total: 68 ]  [ Newest Member: Heckjo ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 Removing side windows from 3807 Carver 1987
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Alternators Not Charging Topic Next Topic: New floor in my 440 Express  

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 23 2017 :  20:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Removing side windows. Windows lifted vertically
will not clear bottom lip of aluminum window frame. Should I use a bottle jack from the inside to push the top and bottom fiberglass apart. Using 2 x 4's to spread the load. Then try to lift the windows out. Time to replace weather seals and clean out tracks. Have any of you done this before.

Ron

Homeport: Bar Harbor, Ohio

eric_b

RO# 33482

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  10:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron,

Is there a plastic runner on the inside of the upper track? I found one on my 32' Carver Convertible. Removing that helped me remove the glass in the windows without resorting to using a bottle jack.

2001 Formula 37/40 PC twin 8.2L MPI Bluewaters
1986 Carver 32 Convertible (SOLD)

Homeport: Marblehead, OH Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  18:23:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bottle jack doesn't sound like a good solution. 7 things can happen, 6 are very bad.
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  12:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
look for rubber or plastic sliders in the track at top. They may be hard to see but removing them allows more lift. On my 440 some jacking was required but not much.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  21:49:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from the boat. Tried locating
the plastic spacer. The zipper pile blocks the view. Do I need to remove this first. I need about 1/8 or so to clear. I will have the jack with me on the next trip and some 2 x 4's to help with the persuasion.

Ron

Homeport: Bar Harbor, Ohio Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  08:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Run a screw driver up along the track to feel for the stops 1/8" is a lot to jack unless it is bowed in middle. Check by measuring. Try moving the window to the ful open position. Feel for screws protruding into the track

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Mar 05 2017 :  18:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got back from the boat. No plastic inserts
on top. Used bottle jack on the outside, from gunnel to bottom of flybridge. Measured before
and during jacking. Need 3/16" to 1/4" to get windows out. Removed all windows from the port side. Now problems at all. Located jack in the middle using 2 x 4's to spread load. Now working on weather seals and put in plastic inserts on bottom tracks to make windows slide easy.

Ron

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  09:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The zipper weather stripping has been removed and ordered, all old silicone caulk from previous owner removed. WD 40 helps to remove old silicone caulk and plastic scrapers. New window slide inserts ordered. Next step rub out and wax area around window frames then paint. Salon windows will be the last items to be installed. So far about 12 hrs on job. Port side.

Ron

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  11:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'd skip the wax prior to painting and merely use something like Colonite Cleaner.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Mar 31 2017 :  18:52:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just finished the port side windows. Painted aluminum frames, new weather stripping thin plastic strips installed on lower window tracks make the windows slide very easy. Yes, I had to use bottle jack to put windows back in.

Ron

tim f

RO# 6461

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  21:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if I am too late for this discussion, but what did you end up using for weather stripping, where did you get it, and lastly, what did you use for paint on the frames?

Homeport: kittery, ME Go to Top of Page

DUSTCUTTER

RO# 10885

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  20:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have two choices. Pull the frames and send them to anodizer. Or you can remove old caulk around frame. Sand frame with 200 grit wet sand. The original black anodize acts like a primer for paint. Wiped off with 216 thinner. I used a semi gloss black. But I would recommend white if you are a southern boater. After paint has dried about 2 to 4 weeks, cure time. Mask and caulk. D K hardware for weather stripping. Slickstripes goes on the track bottom edge. The windows now slide like butter. The job came out perfect. The key is the 2 x 4 's that spread the load.

Ron

Previous Topic: Alternators Not Charging Topic Next Topic: New floor in my 440 Express  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com