BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 39 ]  [ Newest Member: tboy ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Boat charter in the Abacos
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: I clicked on ads today to suppoer the site Topic Next Topic: Charcoal filter on fuel tank vent??  

Arnold

RO# 12330

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  13:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have any experience in boating in the Abacos islands? They look very attractive.
After many years chartering in the BVI, we would like to try new areas. What would be the best season to go?
Thanks
Arnold
Arnold

Homeport: San Francisco, CA

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  18:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Abacos don't come close to the exumas.... it's fine if you want to spend a lot of time docked, like snowbirds in the winter, but for cruising? Exumas. Nothing else.

BVIs are way too crowded... my idea of fun is to anchor and have no more than a couple of boats around, at worst. Not a couple dozens, in the Exumas it's not uncommon to be the only boat in an anchorage,

That said there are very few bareboat charters in the Exumas (out of Nassau). Best time woudl be March thru June, especially for the abacos whcih are further north and a lot more prone to cold fronts

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Feb 26 2017 :  18:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To illustrate my point about how the exumas are uncrowded, I took this last week. Incidentally, one of the people seen on the transom is also a long time BE member....

https://instagram.com/p/BQ-2ttdBW1D/

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 27 2017 :  07:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many people enjoy chartering in the Abacos. We did a bare boat out of Nanny Cay and had a great time. We have lived aboard our boat in the Abacos quite a while. The Abacos are not as pristine or remote as the Exumas but one can have a great time on a charter there. Many folks move about the Abacos on charter stopping at various cays. Some anchor out, some stay in marinas, some mix it up.
If I was going to choose a time of year for the Abacos it would probably be some time starting in May through July. Once beyond July establishments close down for the hurricane season. If you go in Winter you have to be ready for cooler temps and rougher water but the sailing might be better. There are a few itineraries online that may appeal to you.
Some of the cays are interesting to walk around on. If you get a mooring at Hope Town Harbour, dink into town and walk around. It's pleasant. The same for ManOWar and Green Turtle. At Green Turtle you will have to traverse Whale Cay on the Atlantic and the charter company may require that you check in before taking that on.
On Green Turtle throw the hook off New Providence and dink in so you can walk around. If you can get up to Nunjack there are some great beaches on both sides but it depends on your ability and the weather to get that far and back.
Going South Little Harbour is a favorite stop.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Arnold

RO# 12330

Posted - Feb 27 2017 :  11:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your comments. We are going to look at both places although, while there are several bare boating charter organizations in the Abacos, I was not able to find any in the Exumas.

Arnold

Homeport: San Francisco, CA Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 27 2017 :  12:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure this works for you but here is a link https://www.navtours.com/en/destinations/bahamas-charter/

We watched a cat beat South along Great Exuma (we were on land in a car checking out various places and saw them on occasion). They pulled in next to us at Emerald Bay. Once tied up three couples mutinied and rented a condo there on the spot at Grand Isle. The captain had a broken finger (fortunately he was a doctor). This was back in May of 2014. There was some nasty weather while they were out and it was why we were still at Emerald Bay. When the weather broke we ran up to Cave Cay cut knowing the tide would oppose us AND wind when we got there.
It was "sporty" as some like to say and we were in a 43' Hatteras M/Y. However once inside headed to Staniel it was just fine.

The Exumas really are a treat when it all works but you had better have everything you need when you traverse them. The Abacos is far less demanding.

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Feb 27 2017 :  13:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless they ve upgraded their fleet, navtour boats are pretty bare... no genset, no AC... yuck

The sound can be rough but with 80 miles of cay accessible from the bank, you don't have to get in the sound, unless you really want to go to Gtown... when it's a bit rough, even we avoid the sound (with an 84' stabilized MY) and stay on the bank. If we have to get supplies or have to pick up drop off people, we do it at the northern end of great Exuma, accessible from the bank. Tons of options.

That said, indeed the abacos are a little easier which is why you have more boats there and bareboat operations

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 27 2017 :  16:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I will say if you charter Pascal's Power Yacht, that's pretty darn easy.

As far as Exumas vs. Abacos, there is a ton more land life in the Abacos. Restaurants, fuel, shops, marinas, protection the Abacos are definitely superior. Views, outback experience, water, moorings but less protected especially from Westerlies, Exumas are better.

Previous Topic: I clicked on ads today to suppoer the site Topic Next Topic: Charcoal filter on fuel tank vent??  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com