BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 77 ]  [ Total: 86 ]  [ Newest Member: emdrei ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 winterization question
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Oil Filter Change with Remote Inverted Mounting Topic Next Topic: Dumb Transducer Question  

abbott

RO# 20746

Posted - Mar 07 2017 :  19:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have a 4.3 Mercruiser that was winterized in Nov. 2015. The outdrive was removed after winterization and was found to have various problems and replacement was recommended. Anyway, my question is, is there a way to test if the engine block made it through 2 Maine winters without an outdrive being reattached? Thanks for any advice, Larry

Homeport:

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  10:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it fresh water or raw water cooled?
Either way, if it was properly winterized it should be fine.
I would check the oil(also coolant level if FWC), maybe turn it by hand to make sure it's free, install the drive, and start it up. If you really want to get crazy with it you could pull the plugs and squirt a little oil down each cylinder before you turn it but if it was properl fogged when it was winterized you really don't need to do that. If it starts, keep an eye on the temperature and oil pressure. If both are fine then you're in pretty good shape. Let it get up to operating temperature, shut it down and change the oil that's been sitting in there all this time.
If you have a bottom drain for the oil you could even change it before you attempt to start the motor, but if you have to pump the oil out through the dipstick you're better off starting the motor first and getting the oil hot enough to pump out.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  14:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He wants to know if he can test the block without attaching the drive.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

BillK

RO# 775

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  14:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can run it without the outdrive, you will just have to connect a water supply as the water pickup would be in the outdrive. A bravo with an engine mounted raw water pump, just put the input hose to the water pump in a bucket of water and let is draw from that - once it starts keep a hose running to keep the bucket full, used to run my inboard Correct Craft this way all the time. If it is an Alpha you will need to connect a hose and supply a water flow as the raw water pump is in the outdrive.

Homeport: Lake Norman, NC Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  17:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can run the alphas without the drive if you can figure out a way to secure a water hose to the inlet in the transom assembly. I did it several times on my old boat with a contraption that mounted to the assemble using the mounting studs for the drive. It belonged to a marine mechanic that I know, and he had made it up himself years before to use for his business.
Probably much easier to just hook up the drive if it's an alpha and put the muffs on it. As long as the water pump in the drive is good and you can put it in neutral it shouldn't matter if it has other damage.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

abbott

RO# 20746

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  19:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice. I am feeling better about getting the boat up and running after 2 years in storage.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

LouC

RO# 10314

Posted - Mar 15 2017 :  17:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this boat had an Alpha drive what you could to (outdrive still off) would be to go up to the front of the engine, and disconnect the hose that feeds water from the transom mount into the thermo housing. Then run a garden hose up to the thermo housing and if needed fab up an adaptor to hook up the garden hose to the thermo housing. When you start the engine, have the water on about 1/2 way, you should be seeing water come out of the exhaust housing of the transom mount. If the engine comes up to normal temp and stays there, fine, if it starts to run hotter then turn the water on all the way. If the boat had a Bravo with the impeller on the engine you could do the same thing except you'd have to feed water to the impeller housing, same idea fab up an adaptor to hook the garden hose to the impeller housing.

If the boat was properly winterized there should be no issues, other than the gas is now a year and a half old. If stabilized, should be OK.

1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC Cobra
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Quadradrive II

Homeport: Long Island NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Oil Filter Change with Remote Inverted Mounting Topic Next Topic: Dumb Transducer Question  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com