BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 81 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: wildwine ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 New houseboat
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Replacing hydraulic trim lines Topic Next Topic: In-Shore/Near-Shore Emergency Call 911!  

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  10:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went ahead and jumped and bought a new to me houseboat. It is a 92 Gibson (Yes I know, deck problems) 47' Sport Series. This will be the largest boat I have ever piloted. I got her from the original owner with only approximately 250 Hours on each engine. Having piloted an inboard with twin stern drives previous, what handling issues should I be aware of versus the V drives I have now? I am docking on the Ohio river so there is current to deal with at all times. I know there will be other issues I will ask questions about but this is the first. My previous experience was with a 30' Driftercruise with a single outdrive. Previous to that was a 42' Elco with the afore mentioned V drives. I look forward to guidance. Thank you!

Edited by - River Runner on Apr 08 2017 08:05:00

Homeport: OH

Phillbo

RO# 2553

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  10:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Learn to maneuver around the docks using just the throttles. Practice a lot.

Homeport: Arizona Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  12:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phillbo

Learn to maneuver around the docks using just the throttles. Practice a lot.

What Philbo said. When in tight quarters, keep your hands off the wheel - gearshift and throttles only.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  12:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. That is pretty much what I did with the Inboard stern drive. I had heard that there were some major handling differences between the 2 styles. I know that everything I do will be tight quarters. I am on an inside finger so as soon as I leave the dock I will have to back down the row. Luckily once I am off of the dock it should just be a matter of letting the current drift me back.

Edited by - River Runner on Apr 08 2017 08:06:24

Homeport: OH Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  13:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may have more windage to deal with. On larger gas inboards I found that I had to use the throttle once in a while to get the effect I was looking for.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

GeorgeKohler

RO# 33821

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  13:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'll drive like a house on the water. We've rented 50 footers at Raystown quite often. They are not what I would call "maneuverable". Leave lots of room and practice a lot.

Homeport: Raystown, PA Go to Top of Page

L. Keith

RO# 1615

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  14:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spend a few days practicing around an anchored, large red fish float, you place in the river somewhere reasonably protected. Practice coming up along side the float, practice coming up to the float and practice backing down on the float. After you have mastered that move the float out of the protected area and repeat. The float will give a lot more than a dock and you will soon learn the handling caricaturists of the boat. That boat will slide, due to lack of a real keel. Know you wind and current. Also learn when to just anchor out and wait for better conditions.

Homeport: N. Gulf of Mexico Go to Top of Page

easttnboater

RO# 23415

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  09:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gibsons are not a traditional houseboat. They have a cathedral type hull and a fairly big keel and handle more like a "real" boat. With the right power, they will plane fairly easily. My 18 x 80 ft Jamestowner is a house on a barge, but I have had a lot of practice and can handle it.

You might want to go the forum on houseboatmagazine.com. There are some old school Gibson owners over there that can give you plenty of tips. Also, Gibson was just sold to some folks in South Dakota. They are offering repair, parts, and new builds.

Homeport: Johnson City, TN Go to Top of Page

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  15:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by easttnboater

Gibsons are not a traditional houseboat. They have a cathedral type hull and a fairly big keel and handle more like a "real" boat. With the right power, they will plane fairly easily. My 18 x 80 ft Jamestowner is a house on a barge, but I have had a lot of practice and can handle it.

You might want to go the forum on houseboatmagazine.com. There are some old school Gibson owners over there that can give you plenty of tips. Also, Gibson was just sold to some folks in South Dakota. They are offering repair, parts, and new builds.

Thanks for that info. I will look into the new ownership.

I have the benefit of having a very large fuel dock which is not used much in the spring. I will definitely take advantage of it and practice using the open area versus the close confines of the main dock. Our spaces are tight here (VERY) with only 3' fore and aft.

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  12:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided it was time to buy a new anchor for the boat since I have yet to find one in all of the searching through the boat I have done. I went online and looked for a Fortress FX-37 anchor. I got lucky and found a deal!!! I placed an order for my new anchor for the amazing price of $2.48 with FREE shipping! How could I go wrong? I just got an e-mail that said my order has shipped. It will be interesting to see if it actually arrives. If it does I will immediately order another.... unless they figure it out and take it down. They can't ship it for that price!

Edited by - River Runner on Mar 11 2017 13:20:18

speedo

RO# 14386

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  13:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by River Runner

I decided it was time to buy a new anchor for the boat since I have yet to find one in all of the searching through the boat I have done. I went online and looked for a Fortress FX-37 anchor. I got lucky and found a deal!!! I placed an order for my new anchor for the amazing price of $2.48 with FREE shipping! How could I go wrong? I just got an e-mail that said my order has shipped. It will be interesting to see if it actually arrives. If it does I will immediately order another.... unless they figure it out and take it down. They can't ship it for that price!

Monitor that credit card very closely. A common scam is to offer stuff on Amazon or EBay for ridiculously low prices just to get credit card information.

speedo
Redding, CA

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Mar 12 2017 :  14:19:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh oh!

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Apr 08 2017 :  08:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turned out that the order got canceled right after I placed it. Seems that they used a "listing company" that had a computer glitch and posted a whole mess of stuff dirt cheap. I had eBay do an investigation and all is well. I am having my credit card company monitor just in case.

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Apr 10 2017 :  11:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how or where you can get wiring diagrams for Gibson Houseboats? I have a number of electrical gremlins that are troubling me. I have done an online search and got nothing.

Thanks!

easttnboater

RO# 23415

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  09:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go onto the other forum that I mentioned before and ask there. I doubt you will be able to find a wiring diagram specific to your boat - each build was a custom build and the wiring varied.

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  09:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the other forum and signed up. I have a password and user name but they still have not approved me to post..... I signed up on the first day that you told me about that site. Seems pretty slow over there.

easttnboater

RO# 23415

Posted - Apr 13 2017 :  17:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. It is a small forum. What user name did you use over there? I will ping them for you.

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  07:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same as here. River Runner

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Apr 24 2017 :  13:12:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Works now easttnboater. Thanks!

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - May 30 2017 :  12:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it was a success. I took her out for the first time over the weekend. After being tied to the dock for 12 years she traveled up the river over the weekend. I only took it on about a 16 mile round trip but it ran flawlessly! It was a great yet scary feeling leaving the tethers and security of the dock and heading out for the first time. She amazed me at how easily she came up on plane for as big as she is. She wound up to a max of 3300RPM and everything worked great! Kind of hard to pry the smile off my face today! The only issue I'm having is that the remote start for the generator is not working but starts instantly from the controls on the side of the generator. I also will need to tighten up the gland nuts on the prop shafts. They have been sitting too long. Minor issues.

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 30 2017 :  12:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since we don't know what engines are in it, we can't tell if 3300 RPM's is good or bad. If you have diesels, 3300 might be right in line. If you have gas, then 3300 is pretty low.

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - May 30 2017 :  15:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the boat!

You should post what engines you have to make sure at WOT (wide open throttle) you are achieving the proper RPM.

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - May 30 2017 :  16:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We know from another post that they are Crusader 350 ci small blocks. WOT for those engines should be in the 4200 to 4600 rpm range. If you are only getting max 3300 rpm, you have to figure out why? Overprpped? In need of a tune up? Old gas?

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - May 30 2017 :  17:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He did mention 12 years at the dock, maybe growth???

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 30 2017 :  19:31:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whatever the reason for low RPM's (bottom growth, engine issues, over-propped) the OP needs to find out and correct the issue. 3300 is way too low.

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - May 31 2017 :  10:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definite problems with growth. Also I have not run all of the old gas out of it. I'm running a mix of 3:1 new to old. I think it will run better when I run most of this out during the year. I am hauling at the end of the season and will be doing bottom cleaning and a repaint. Also will be fixing the small soft spot in the front deck. I am pleased overall with the way the engines ran but think that they should be doing better. No doubt a clean bottom and fresh gas will aid in making that happen.

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - May 31 2017 :  11:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
be careful not to run too hard until you get the old gas and RPM straightened out other wise you may blow head gasket or tulip valves. keep it off plane and you should be OK

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Replacing hydraulic trim lines Topic Next Topic: In-Shore/Near-Shore Emergency Call 911!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.5 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com