BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 32 ]  [ Total: 35 ]  [ Newest Member: tboy ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Winterizing & Springizing
 Long sleep
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Antifreeze  

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  12:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just recently bought a new to me houseboat from the original owner. The boat is a 92 47' Gibson Sport series. The previous owners were the original owners and have a pretty good collection of paperwork of all service. The engines have approximately 250 hours on them. The previous owners had basically turned the boat into a floating condo and lived on it for the last 12 years and it never left the dock. The owners had the engines winterized and had not started them in the last 5 years although they were turned over annually. When the owner put the boat up for sale she had the engines started and ran from a can of gas. The person who got them running was also the person who winterized them. They ran the RPMs up and cycled the drives forward and reverse. They functioned fine and I expected as much given the low hours. I know that the rest of the boat is in good shape due to the lived in nature. What should I do before my first trial run? I plan on replacing the belts and hoses. What else should I be looking to do before trusting it?

Thanks!

Homeport: OH

GeorgeKohler

RO# 33821

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  13:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get a certified surveyor to perform a full survey of the boat. Might cost about $500, but well worth it. What's the sale price?

Homeport: Raystown, PA Go to Top of Page

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  15:33:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I paid $17000 for it. They book for much more. This one has been well cared for.

Homeport: OH Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Mar 08 2017 :  17:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impellers. Make sure the raw water pumps are rebuilt. Exercise all of the seacocks. Run the genny and perform similar maintenance there. Impellers, hoses, belts. Make sure the tanks are in good shape, and that means all of the hoses associated with fuel, waste etc..

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  10:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impellers, hoses, belts, spark plugs, wires, tune-up, batteries, coolant, zincs.

Change the oil, run the engines for a while, then send oil samples out for analysis.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

nwaring

RO# 16045

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  10:13:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Ran from a can of gas" Probably ought to drain and dispose of the old gas in the tanks

Good luck
Niles

"Interlude"
87 Mainship 36DC
2006 22' Angler/225hp E-Tec

Homeport: Ashtabula Oh - Punta Gorda Fl Go to Top of Page

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  11:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nwaring

"Ran from a can of gas" Probably ought to drain and dispose of the old gas in the tanks

Good luck
Niles

He ran it from a can of gas because he did not want to fill the tanks again. He was only proving the engines were capable of running and didn't want to put gas in the tanks again without knowing when or if it would be running again. I asked him the same question and he showed me that they were bone dry and dropped a scope inside to prove it and show they were clean inside.

Homeport: OH Go to Top of Page

nwaring

RO# 16045

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  13:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]
He ran it from a can of gas because he did not want to fill the tanks again. He was only proving the engines were capable of running and didn't want to put gas in the tanks again without knowing when or if it would be running again. I asked him the same question and he showed me that they were bone dry and dropped a scope inside to prove it and show they were clean inside.
[/quote]

That's great and 1 thing off your list

Niles

"Interlude"
87 Mainship 36DC
2006 22' Angler/225hp E-Tec

Homeport: Ashtabula Oh - Punta Gorda Fl Go to Top of Page
  Topic Next Topic: Antifreeze  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.31 seconds to load