BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: merc9193 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 MMSI and AIS
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tank Tender Topic Next Topic: Small Inflatable tender  

Sea Bitt

RO# 18475

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  11:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MMSI and AIS
Just wondering how many reactional boaters use one or all of these systems? I bought a new radio with MMSI, DCS and AIS functions plug into my Garmin chart plotter using NMEA 2000 network.

I know commercial ships use it extensively, but how many average 20 to 40 foot boaters use it? I boat in the Chesapeake Bay so it will be interesting? Obviously if there is an emergency it’s worth it weight in gold.
Does anyone use the VHF DSC calling channel 70 to another VHF DSC radio by using a routine individual call to their Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI). Seems in this day of age. Cell phones in range of shore would be used more than the hasset of plugging in the long MMSI number. However there could be a good reason I’m missing.
Also has anyone done this test for VHF DSC radios equipped with the Test Call feature, test transmissions made to the US Coast Guard MMSI 003669999 to receive an automated VHF DSC test response. I understand the “Test Call” category of your radio because “Individual” category calls to this address will not receive an automated response and testing can only be performed by using a routine individual call to their Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI).
Thanks,
Bruce

Homeport: Charlestown, MD

Good Grief

RO# 13137

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  14:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's not confuse a bunch of related, yet different things. An MMSI number is a unique identifier (number) that a database assigns you for registering. Once you input the MMSI to your radio it cannot be changed once in and accepted. In an emergency, pressing the Distress button will automatically use the radio's DSC function to broadcast your MMSI number over channel 70 - in digital form (boaters cannot broadcast voice over channel 70, your radio won't/shouldn't allow it). Once the MMSI is broadcast, the receiving (Coast Guard or any vessel w/ DSC) station's systems automatically call your info from the database, and VIOLA, the CG now knows who broadcast the distress signal. **By connecting your GPS to your DSC equipped radio, activation of the Distress button will not only broadcast your MMSI, but your Lat/Long (boat's position) info. Other DSC features like group calling, polling, etc, are specific to a given radio and use DSC info to send 'info' to other boaters.

Automatic Identification System (AIS) transponders ( which send and receive) are required on US vessels over 1600 tons, and foreign vessels in US waters (with a few exceptions.) These require a dedicated antenna, and as a system, are usually a bit beyond most recreational boaters. AIS equipped vessels will broadcast name, position, speed, etc; and receive same from other AIS equipped vessels. Most boaters have (as I do) a VHF radio with a built in AIS receiver. The receiver will receive AIS broadcasts from vessels in the area. But as it's a receiver only, AIS vessels cannot 'see' you!

The DSC feature(s) on your radio may allow you to 'see' other properly equipped DSC vessels, and even overlay this info to AIS data, or even on a chartplotter - it depends upon your radio, chart plotter, and pocket depth. . ..

hope this helps.

-Gene
If you're not a liberal at 20, you don't have a heart. If you're not a conservative at 40, you don't have a brain - Winston Churchill

Homeport: Viking Boat Yard, Verplank NY Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  17:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AIS seem to be increasingly popular with smaller cruising sailboats probably because they are slower and want to be seen when sailing offshore at night. In the Bahamas I would say that 40% of sailboats 30' and up carry AIS transmitters. Fewer power boat, even in the 50 to 70 range do

It s convenient when crossing shipping lanes, like ththe gulfstream as you get continually updated CPA info allowing you to make course corrections early to avoid large ships. I can see it being useful in the Chesapeake because of the commercial traffic. Between smalll boats I m not so sure

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

rapscallion

RO# 31236

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  17:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replaced my boat's older VHF with a DSC-equipped VHF and interfaced it with my GPS pretty much for the safety reason alone. The ability to broadcast my GPS coordinates to the CG automatically in an emergency situation, and have them know who I am in addition to where I am made the relatively low cost of the technology worth the investment in my mind. I don't use selective calling. The cost of AIS is still a bit high for me given the type of boating I do.

Homeport: Ladner, British Columbia Go to Top of Page

williamabernathy

RO# 32322

Posted - Mar 09 2017 :  20:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
My GPS is connected to my MMSI-registered VHF for the safety reasons Gene stated. Safety briefing for visitors includes, "If we are in an emergency and need help and I can't, raise that little red flap and push and hold that button on the radio."

Bill A.
'68 Bertram 38AC

Homeport: hampton, va Go to Top of Page

ranger42c

RO# 32710

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  07:22:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sea Bitt

MMSI and AIS
Just wondering how many reactional boaters use one or all of these systems? I bought a new radio with MMSI, DCS and AIS functions plug into my Garmin chart plotter using NMEA 2000 network.

I know commercial ships use it extensively, but how many average 20 to 40 foot boaters use it? I boat in the Chesapeake Bay so it will be interesting? Obviously if there is an emergency it’s worth it weight in gold.
Does anyone use the VHF DSC calling channel 70 to another VHF DSC radio by using a routine individual call to their Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI). Seems in this day of age. Cell phones in range of shore would be used more than the hasset of plugging in the long MMSI number. However there could be a good reason I’m missing.

DSC-capable radios seem to be gradually replacing older VHFs in recreational boats, but... my guess is that most functioning old-style VHFs aren't replaced until some other reason arises. Dead radio, electronic refit, etc.

I suspect many of the new DSC-capable installations are NOT networked with a GPS source. No proof, just a suspicion.

We haven't called anyone using DSC. First, we seldom call anyone anyway. Second, we don't know many people -- that we'd call -- who have a DSC-capable radio and/or an MMSI. Third, too much trouble. We also suspect most folks who now have a DSC-capable VHF, and have networked it with a GPS source, only got it for the distress function, not for additional calling functions.

We see AIS signals on some recreational boats in the Chesapeake. Maybe 1% or less. Seems to be growing, but it's not a firestorm.

-Chris

Selby Bay, South River

Homeport: Londontowne, MD Go to Top of Page

Good Grief

RO# 13137

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  07:24:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bingo, Bill - I do the same.

My point Bruce, and others, is that your DSC/AIS radio has great modern capabilities - however, and it may by anecdotal evidence, but I've yet to see a VHF radio w/ DSC/AIS that TRANSMITTS AIS position. (In other words, while you can see the Big Boats on AIS, the Big Boats can't see you!)

Pascal/CaptBill - does your AIS allow you to see DSC vessels who wish to transmit their position data to you?

-Gene
If you're not a liberal at 20, you don't have a heart. If you're not a conservative at 40, you don't have a brain - Winston Churchill

PatSea

RO# 12641

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  08:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that Standard Horizon is awaiting FCC approval of a new VHF radio with integrated DSC, GPS and AIS transponder.
I have the SH SX2200 VHF with integrated DSC, GPS and AIS receiver. It appears to be a well designed and built radio. I haven't done much yet with DSC calling although I have several friends with similar radios that I could communicate with over DSC. Will try it this summer.

Homeport: Catawba Island, Ohio Go to Top of Page

mdoherty

RO# 12220

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  09:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PatSea

I haven't done much yet with DSC calling although I have several friends with similar radios that I could communicate with over DSC. Will try it this summer.

You don't actually talk with DSC, it is only used for hailing and you then go to an appropriate channel like always.

Mike

Homeport: Leesburg VA Go to Top of Page

PatSea

RO# 12641

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  11:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand. Thanks.
quote]Originally posted by mdoherty

quote:

I haven't done much yet with DSC calling although I have several friends with similar radios that I could communicate with over DSC. Will try it this summer.

You don't actually talk with DSC, it is only used for hailing and you then go to an appropriate channel like always.
[/quote]

Homeport: Catawba Island, Ohio Go to Top of Page

Philyteach

RO# 11439

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  13:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for the sake of adding to the conversation, my 23' boat has 2 DSC radios with DSC and a class A AIS transceiver. All of it is interfaced with my E-120 Chartplotter. My AIS came in handy on 4th of July last year when I was returning from the fireworks. I hit a submerged object and trashed my lower unit. Called the CG gave them my AIS tag and they didn't have any need for a search. They just followed my tag all the way to my boat. Then towed me home.

As for my DSC, I've never placed a call, but I have polled friends positions to place on my plotter. When other hit the distress button on their radio both radios go nuts and my chartpolotter automatically puts the distress vessel on it. Its pretty cool, but very loud :)

---
Okay, I'll bite. Does this tagline fix it all?

Homeport: Philadelphia Go to Top of Page

Sea Bitt

RO# 18475

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  14:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all. I am receiving the new Garmin 210 AIS which will allow the Automatic Identification System (AIS)to be used. The VHF 210 AIS incorporates all of the features of MMSI and DSC and adds a built-in AIS for situational awareness. I see from the responses, which is what I thought, not too many use the DSC calling function for hailing other boats. If fact there was some confusion (mostly on my part) that the radio asks you to enter the MMSI number and the AIS number which I understand after calling Boast US is the same number. Snowing here today so still a few weeks away from working on the boat and installing the new radio.

Homeport: Charlestown, MD Go to Top of Page

Good Grief

RO# 13137

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  08:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garmin 210 has an AIS receiver. . ..

DSC functionality can mimic AIS, but it's not AIS. AIS is designed to be on all the time, automatically sending data. Take a look at Marinetraffic dot com or a similar website to see AIS data in real time. . ..

Philllyteach - which VHF as an AIS transceiver?

-Gene

JoLin

RO# 31399

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  16:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A couple of friends and I have played with it. I have the SH GX1700. It's fairly easy...

You build a contact list in the VHF. You enter your friend's MMSI and he enters yours. Go to the list, choose the name you gave him, and the VHF auto-calls his MMSI. At his end (at least with the GX1700), the VHF rings like a telephone. When he presses the transmit key to answer, you two are connected. The two VHF's automatically switch to a 'conversational' channel. No need to do anything manually.

John and Linda
'Escapade III'
1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
Twin Merc 4.3 Alpha 4V 'Gen +'

Edited by - JoLin on Mar 11 2017 16:32:38

Homeport: West Babylon, NY Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Mar 12 2017 :  13:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philyteach

Just for the sake of adding to the conversation, my 23' boat has 2 DSC radios with DSC and a class A AIS transceiver. All of it is interfaced with my E-120 Chartplotter. My AIS came in handy on 4th of July last year when I was returning from the fireworks. I hit a submerged object and trashed my lower unit. Called the CG gave them my AIS tag and they didn't have any need for a search. They just followed my tag all the way to my boat. Then towed me home.

As for my DSC, I've never placed a call, but I have polled friends positions to place on my plotter. When other hit the distress button on their radio both radios go nuts and my chartpolotter automatically puts the distress vessel on it. Its pretty cool, but very loud :)

You should hear the alerts R21 consoles make for DSC alerts. Worse than nails on a chalkboard. Pretty sure they engineered the most annoying tones known to man when they programmed that system.

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

JoLin

RO# 31399

Posted - Mar 15 2017 :  08:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by November Charlie[/

You should hear the alerts R21 consoles make for DSC alerts. Worse than nails on a chalkboard. Pretty sure they engineered the most annoying tones known to man when they programmed that system.

My SH alert tone is no better. Scares the bejeezus out of me when it goes off.

John and Linda
'Escapade III'
1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
Twin Merc 4.3 Alpha 4V 'Gen +'

Homeport: West Babylon, NY Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Mar 15 2017 :  13:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing gets your attention underway more than an alarm that nobody's ever heard before!

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

Philyteach

RO# 11439

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  10:25:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Good Grief

Philllyteach - which VHF as an AIS transceiver?

Sorry, none of them do that I know of. I was trying to get the point across that its not just for big boats. I have a separate AIS transceiver.

---
Okay, I'll bite. Does this tagline fix it all?

Homeport: Philadelphia Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Tank Tender Topic Next Topic: Small Inflatable tender  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com