BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 84 ]  [ Total: 85 ]  [ Newest Member: aenglebert1 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 An interesting restoration project completes.
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rail mounted gas grill reccomendations Topic Next Topic: Across the Atlantic in a.....  

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  16:49:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PT-305 is refloated and running.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/10/combat-hardened-wwii-pt-boat-makes-triumphant-return-to-water.html

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/media/pt-305.html

Homeport:

Bill D.

RO# 150

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  17:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a kid living on Hurlburt Field, Ft. Walton Beach, FL. I can remember a couple of these that would run the ICW fairly often. Always loved to see, and hear, them go by.

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it." Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Homeport: Gulf Shores, Alabama Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  17:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get a ride on this one for 350 bucks. I am thinking that the wife would lose the argument None of the videos I have seen have sound included. Bummer.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Bill D.

RO# 150

Posted - Mar 10 2017 :  18:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father and family made a visit to this museum about 10 years before he died. As they toured the museum exhibits I guess it triggered his memory. He started taking about the planes, the missions, and D-Day. Before he left the place a large crowd had joined the family and followed him through the whole place. It was one of those times when one wishes they had film and recording of the "event".

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it." Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Homeport: Gulf Shores, Alabama Go to Top of Page

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  07:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe those PT boats were originally made by the Elco company. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Our family used to have an Elco and was told that the hull design was based off of the PT boats that they made for the war effort. It was a beautiful boat!

Homeport: OH Go to Top of Page

L. Keith

RO# 1615

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  14:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Built by Higgins Industries at New Orleans, LA

Edited by - L. Keith on Mar 13 2017 11:34:33

Homeport: N. Gulf of Mexico Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  15:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by River Runner

I believe those PT boats were originally made by the Elco company. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Our family used to have an Elco and was told that the hull design was based off of the PT boats that they made for the war effort. It was a beautiful boat!

As wikipedia details in this interesting extensive article, there is quite a bit more to the "originally made by" story than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PT_boat

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

River Runner

RO# 33941

Posted - Mar 13 2017 :  13:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting read. Thanks!

Homeport: OH Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Rail mounted gas grill reccomendations Topic Next Topic: Across the Atlantic in a.....  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com