BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 79 ]  [ Total: 84 ]  [ Newest Member: wildwine ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Looking for suggestions’ on a new ride
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: once you paint the bottom... Topic Next Topic: Captain Keith?  

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  05:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I’m seriously thinking of jumping into the joy/#$%$# of boat ownership again.
As it’s only me and the Mutts this time, overall size/accommodations/style is very flexible..

That being said based on 40+ years of boatmanship I do have a few base requirements and look forward to the feedback of experienced Boatered Members. Also, after my 4+ decades of boat ownership I fully understand the most recreational boats are a trade off to ones needs

• I do require the torque of a diesel-powered boat as well as putting rough sea-keeping abilities ahead of overall creature comforts/space.
• It would be nice to have a cruise speed of 20+ knots, EDIT- i can live with cruise speed in the high teen's

For example one of my past boats was a Formula 41PC with Cummins 450’s. It did not have any additional ‘space’ over the Gas powered 37’ Searay dancer it replaced. For it’s ‘Market’ size of a 41’ express it was small as far as accommodations etc.

BUT it was built like a tank and it was reassuring that it had the strength and power to deal with really rough weather/seas. I’m not talking about crossing the Atlantic, but some of us know how snotty it can get just some miles off shore!

• The boats layout must support it to be single-handed.

Although I’m on the lookout for a couple 20 years olds, hey even a couple of 30/40 year olds as mates, Most likely I’ll be running the boat solo, the Mutts aren’t much help. That being said I have a 20+ year history of running 40’ to 50’ boats totally single-handed as long as the boat’s layout supports this, it’s a requirement.

i.e.- I have always been in deep love with the Trojan 440 express, based on what I’m hearing from Boatered members it’s good in the rough and has incredible space/features, but im not sure how well it fairs in the single-handed area?
Been looking at Carver 450 voyagers, with it’s side door it looks like it can easily be single-handed, but it may not have the rough sea handling I’m looking for?
Two very different boats both have strong features that fit one of my requirements but may fall short with another?

Budget is based on not getting a new boat. Matter of fact I don’t care how old it is if it fits my needs. That being said I’m in a position to fund a good fit.
I recently have learned that you can’t take it with you and I’m going to spend it now!

Express, Down East, Pilothouse whatever– at this point doesn’t matter, just looking for suggestions’
Thx
A

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Edited by - abalmuth on Mar 18 2017 08:00:33

Homeport: Long Island, NY

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  08:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hinckley pilot would fit you.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  09:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sloop??

Homeport: Long Island, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  09:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wrong name. I meant the Picnic style. A real gentleman's boat imo. Similar boats are made by Sabre and some LI company

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Mar 18 2017 09:37:51

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  10:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fairline might be an option but I am not familiar with the construction etc.. We've seen a few Princess's moving around the Bahamas.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  10:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

Wrong name. I meant the Picnic style. A real gentleman's boat imo. Similar boats are made by Sabre and some LI company

do i need to become a real gentleman? ;-)

Yea, on the list, I bit pricey but i hear nothing but good about most make's of these 'Downeast' style boats

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  10:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
perhaps a bit small but nearby for some boat looking in winter and maybe you can talk boats with the piano man
http://chmarineyachts.com/boat1.cfm

I went to the Hinckley yard in ME just to drool

Bruce

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  11:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
do i need to become a real gentleman? ;-)

Too late for me, not sure about you.

I always thought the Voyagers were too tall. Depends on what you want to do. If I was back there I would be looking to zip to the many smaller harbors, YCs and marinas. A smaller faster boat, with top notch accommodations, would be my next choice.

Bruce

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  13:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the right price I would sell you mine cleanest Trojan you will find!
I'm glad to see this model is on your list you would not be disappointment with this boat if you can find one in good shape! Many have not been maintained and would cost a bundle to restore, still might be worth it!

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  15:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave
I was waiting for one of you 440 junkies to jump in ;-)

One of the key questions I have is have you single-handed your boat often?
A

BJL

RO# 1308

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  18:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surprised no one has mentioned Albin

Work is something I do between fishing trips!

Homeport: Boynton Beach, Florida Go to Top of Page

Nancy

RO# 4224

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  19:35:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BJL

Surprised no one has mentioned Albin

You beat me to it by 45 minutes.

Abalmuth, we love our 28TE. Seaworthy to the max and easy to single-hand. Sounds like you're looking to go bigger than that. Lots of good choices in the 31'+ range.

1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250

Edited by - Nancy on Mar 18 2017 23:42:30

Homeport: Malletts Bay, Lake Champlain Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  20:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abalmuth

Hi Dave

A

I can and I have I not a big fan of single handling any boat of this size but it certainly can be done. It's a reasonable heavy boat with very little windage factor, huge props that provide terrific response and handling! I have no regrets with this boat!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  22:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nancy
The Albin seems like a good boat but even the 35TE maybe small. That being said there are a couple of 35TE's on Long Island that I may have a look at.

quote:
Originally posted by Audrey II

quote:

Hi Dave

A

I can and I have I not a big fan of single handling any boat of this size but it certainly can be done. It's a reasonable heavy boat with very little windage factor, huge props that provide terrific response and handling! I have no regrets with this boat!

Dave I hear you, but like in my past 2 boats, 43' & 50' LOA, the need to be single-handled is a reality for me unless the boat comes with some Mates

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  22:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy,
You have been MIA for a while, so sorry to hear about your wife. Last we saw each other you came to my house when I had surgery for my leg. Think we saw each other maybe after that, thinking I lent you some tool? Anyway, hope all is well.

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 18 2017 :  23:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by walterv

Andy,
You have been MIA for a while, so sorry to hear about your wife. Last we saw each other you came to my house when I had surgery for my leg. Think we saw each other maybe after that, thinking I lent you some tool? Anyway, hope all is well.

Walter

Hey Walter
Yea it's been a while. Thx, Mel was sick for quite a while and was a real fighter over the past couple of years.

I think one of us had a new puppy when Mel & I came over? If it was ours, it was about 5 years ago

You lent me a polisher, which you got back;-)

With Mel being so sick we sold the Cruisers some years ago & now I'm trying to decide if I'm stupid enough to buy another boat
Hope all is well with you guys
A

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  01:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For downeasters, I've spent a lot of time over the years on a friend's yacht-finished Northern Bay 36 Flybridge. With single Volvo TAMD 72P(?) diesel at 430 hp, it cruises around 18 kt... and will maintain that speed in almost any snotty weather one might be out and about in. And it is the most impressive running-down-sea downeaster I've been on . Just amazingly stable steering running down big seas, unlike so many other "built-down" downeasters. That's a big plus to me.
Designer Spencer Lincoln got that one right. General Marine makes that Northern Bay 36' hull now , and Northern Bay Boats now makes a 38', used mostly commercially with great reviews.

Bruce mentioned the Coecles Harbor "Billy Joel boat" , their Shelter Island Runabout 38. I've only run one once and was hugely impressed. Beautifully finished brite-work and even though it is basically an upscale " picnic boat" like the Hinckley 36, The Shelter Island Runabout is MUCH faster, and smoother ride too, IMO . Even though it is a picnic boat design it would be very comfortable for a couple over-nighting repeatedly. But no flybridge.

The owner of the Runabout I ran , against all my natural instincts, had me run it up to WOT in Vineyard Sound in nearly 20 kt SW winds against an adverse ebb current with short period steep chop. Smooth as butter at 47 kts /54 mph (GPS, SOG against the current) with the ladies seated in the cockpit unconcerned & sipping wine and not spilling a drop.
The runabouts like that one all had large gas engines originally but they are all built w/ twin diesels now. Downside is they are stern-drive.
They do now also make a twin-diesel Shelter Island 50 now with twin I/B's and the hull has prop pockets for minimum draft.

Sandy

Edited by - Sandy on Mar 19 2017 01:28:20

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  07:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandy

just did some web surfing on the Northern Bay & Shelter Island Runabout 38's, really a couple of incredible 'downeasters. Just about every preowned Shelter Island runabout is spoken for, http://www.chmarineyachts.com/preowned.cfm , did find one on long island but as a 2016 I imagine well above my budget, that being said I think I'll take a look at it.

Does anyone have any knowledge/Experience with the Linssen DS45? http://www.boats.com/power-boats/2002-linssen-ds45-5905753/#.WM5nfY7avxs

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  09:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy once we retired the need to go 17+ knots faded quickly. We ran Freedom on the Hudson and L.I. Sound at that pace but I don't think we ran the boat above 12 knots more than 20 hours in the 9 years we have been retired. Two of those hours were for the sea trial when we sold it.
Of course your mileage will vary <grinning>.

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  11:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO at this point in life you deserve something out of the ordinary

Bruce

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  12:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan
Along those lines I've been having thoughts of one of the boats with the big stick pointed at the sky!
I could be a side effect of the Med's I'm on for my Neck issues?

Bruce, I'm with you & maybe i need to add Flux Capacitor to my wish list?
A

HappyKamper

RO# 33487

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  12:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
48' Viking Express

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  12:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HappyKamper

48' Viking Express

This is a Bitch-en boat but As this is a relatively a later model boat it's well beyond my budget and needs

I know I said "Budget is based on not getting a new boat. Matter of fact I don’t care how old it is if it fits my needs. That being said I’m in a position to fund a good fit.
I recently have learned that you can’t take it with you and I’m going to spend it now!"

I'll most likely pay cash for the boat & I may find a good fit at under $100K? but I may need to go as high as $300K for the right boat.
But beyond that my Mutts may not be able to live the lifestyle they're accustom to so $300K is my threshold for now!

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  13:12:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really only kidding about my boat but if it is a boat you are considering take a ride to Haverstraw in a few weeks once we all get our boats in the water and you can see 4 different models all on the same dock. Mine is a 96' I have at wo stateroom boat all the others here are three staterooms each boat is a little different but the overall look is the same. As for your budget seems realistic but would exceed your low end budget for sure for a updated boat. There are a few on the market for less but would cost more to bring it up to date. I would be happy to take you for a ride so you can get a feel for the boat it rides like a Lexus or a tank in a good way never pounds a pleasure to cruise in. I have a friend with a bad back this was one of the only boats she would go on a ride in during recovery.
Best of luck in your search for the perfect boat there are a ton of options out there it can be a lot of fun shopping!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  13:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stick in the sky??? those must be meds from Timothy Leary.

Indeed you cant take it with you and it sneaks up on you suddenly while you are making other plans.

Bruce

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  15:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

stick in the sky??? those must be meds from Timothy Leary.

Indeed you cant take it with you and it sneaks up on you suddenly while you are making other plans.

I said:
one of the boats with the big stick pointed at the sky!

Bruce, dont bring me back to my collage days!!

I was referring to a Blow Boat

Edited by - abalmuth on Mar 19 2017 15:11:13

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  15:19:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. Stick in the sky. As far as single handing don't bother putting the rags up without someone else aboard. Especially if you go large. While they have some really slick set ups with power winches etc. it sounds like work to me. We considered that path as well and went to a few shows. It was at least 48 feet of Island Packet before they had one I could stand up in.

Edited by - boatbum on Mar 19 2017 19:50:58

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 19 2017 :  15:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got it but still think you are flashing

Bruce

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Mar 20 2017 :  06:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
seems that the express style might be the best overall choice for singlehandling and speed.

As compared to the Carver built Trojans, the Lancaster PA built Internationals were built like tanks, and their Delta Conic hull design allowed for a smooth, dry ride.

A side benefit of these series of beamy boats is the tremendous distance in width between the shafts/props allows for phenomenal docking ability without the need for thrusters.

Applying the right amount of inertia allows even an average helmsman the ability to deal with almost any docking condition.

check out the details here, especially on the development of the highly regarded, award winning 12 meter:

http://trojanboat.com/refining-the-revolution/

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

Mike_R

RO# 32823

Posted - Mar 20 2017 :  10:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at the Legacy 32.
Moved from a 2005 Silverton 34C to the 2007 Legacy and love the seaworthiness, cruise at 18-19 Knots. fit and finishes are superior.

True North
2007 Legacy 32 Downeast Express
Island Cove Marina
Old Saybrook, CT

Homeport: Old Saybrook, CT Go to Top of Page

eric_b

RO# 33482

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  10:39:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy,

What about another Formula? The 40 and 41 PCs are both built like tanks and most have diesel engines, especially since you liked your 41 PC so much.

2001 Formula 37/40 PC twin 8.2L MPI Bluewaters
1986 Carver 32 Convertible (SOLD)

Homeport: Marblehead, OH Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 22 2017 :  11:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric
the 41PC is on the list by default ;-)
I ran it for over a year mostly single-handed and it handle the rough i think better than my 50'Cruisers which wasn't bad.

Brian N

RO# 3970

Posted - Mar 22 2017 :  14:15:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy, I don't have much to add to your question but wanted to say I'm very sorry for your loss.

Homeport: Somewhere in the woods, NH Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 22 2017 :  14:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx, Brian

A

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Mar 23 2017 :  22:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by walterv

Andy,

Walter

Hey Walter
Yea it's been a while. Thx, Mel was sick for quite a while and was a real fighter over the past couple of years.

I think one of us had a new puppy when Mel & I came over? If it was ours, it was about 5 years ago

You lent me a polisher, which you got back;-)

With Mel being so sick we sold the Cruisers some years ago & now I'm trying to decide if I'm stupid enough to buy another boat
Hope all is well with you guys
A

Yes it was your puppy and was very nice when you guys came by to see me after my leg operation.So sorry to hear of Mel passing. Any help you need, I am here to help!

Walter

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Veebyes

RO# 11224

Posted - Mar 24 2017 :  14:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Without going too big but a solid boat. [/URL]

Bridge to side deck is 2 steps. Side deck wide enough to walk up without having to hold on to anything. Single Cummins 370hp produces 18kt cruise.

Edited by - Veebyes on Mar 24 2017 14:46:21

Homeport: Bermuda Go to Top of Page

Nancy

RO# 4224

Posted - Mar 24 2017 :  20:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Veebyes, that is still my dream boat. Would be about as close to perfect as you can get for our use.

1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250

Homeport: Malletts Bay, Lake Champlain Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 25 2017 :  04:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eric_b

Andy,

What about another Formula? The 40 and 41 PCs are both built like tanks and most have diesel engines, especially since you liked your 41 PC so much.

I have a friend selling a 40SS this is a great boat and one I would have no issue single handling at all. Volvo D6 Diesel engines with duo prop out drives. The boat is a beast cruises at about 40 mph with amazing fuel economy. The only issue with this boat would be the price would be I'm not sure of the asking price but I'm sure it's $200+ but well worth the money!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 25 2017 :  13:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walter, Thx a bunch, you have always been a good person to the core! But I'm good for now

Dave, That 40SS looks like a wicked ride!

Everyone’s input has been great and I’m not giving up on a real boat.

But I’m thinking of getting a short-term boat fix via a Kayak. with Duck being sick over the past years I've pork'ed up a bunch and need to start getting some real exercise

Need approval from my Surgeon & physical therapist, as I had Cervical spine surgery late December but i don't see that as an issue.
I see some of the Hobie Kayak’s have pedal propulsion systems that should keep most efforts lower body and can also use a paddle as well?

I don’t know if I should start another thread or have everyone jump into this one with their Kayak feedback?
Lets see
Thx
A

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Mar 26 2017 :  16:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you back on the board Andy, sorry to hear about your wife. Hope to see you out there on the water some time.

"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

Homeport: Monmouth Beach NJ Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: once you paint the bottom... Topic Next Topic: Captain Keith?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.59 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com