BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 39 ]  [ Newest Member: tboy ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Small Inflatable tender
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Does anyone here own a Gulfstar trawler? Topic Next Topic: Flooring  

PHOENIX

RO# 13088

Posted - Mar 20 2017 :  21:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking at purchasing a small inflatable to use as a tender when moored or for simply buzzing around the harbor or anchorage. My boat is 30' so not looking for anything big. I am looking for something in the 8'6" range that I can put a 4hp engine on and will hold three people. Both west Marine and Zodiac have reasonably priced boats for the size I am looking at. I am hoping some of you have experience with these manufacturers or others and can offer suggestions. I want a soft bottom so that I can deflate the boat and stow in my aft hatch. I would appreciate any feedback you have on the durability of these boats
Phoenix
Back Cove 29

Homeport: Bristol, RI

Carvervirgin

RO# 32836

Posted - Mar 20 2017 :  22:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a Mercury dinghy that is 8'. We have a 2 hp outboard and it works well for the application you describe. It would run better with a 3 hp on it. The nice thing is that I can handle it all by myself in regards to lifting and storage. I think Defender Marine carries this model.

Bucket List, 2001Carver 356
Lake Champlain, Vermont

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Roy

RO# 114

Posted - Mar 20 2017 :  23:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the West Marine version you're talking about, the one with the slated floor and a 2 HP Honda with about the same boat size as you. It works great. It won't plane so more horsepower won't go faster, it just squats more.

"Livin' life in the laid back lane" - Sunny Jim

Homeport: Sarasota FL Go to Top of Page

RWS

RO# 25075

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  06:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hypalon is the best choice of fabric

RWS

1983 Trojan International 10 Meter
Twin Yanmar 315 Turbodiesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

Homeport: FL Go to Top of Page

PHOENIX

RO# 13088

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  08:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback. West Marine is having a big sale this week, 25% off. Roy, how long have you had yours? I am concerned with the quality although it gets pretty good reviews on line

Phoenix
Back Cove 29

Homeport: Bristol, RI Go to Top of Page

Good Grief

RO# 13137

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  09:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like RWS says, Hypalon is more resiliant, has far better UV resistance, which makes for a longer-lasting dink - however, you'll pay for it. IF you're only using it a few times a year and keep it stored out of the sun, you could probably get good use out of PVC.

Good luck.

-Gene
If you're not a liberal at 20, you don't have a heart. If you're not a conservative at 40, you don't have a brain - Winston Churchill

Homeport: Viking Boat Yard, Verplank NY Go to Top of Page

Mike_R

RO# 32823

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  13:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Defender has their annual warehouse sale next weekend, worth checking out the inflatable prices there.

True North
2007 Legacy 32 Downeast Express
Island Cove Marina
Old Saybrook, CT

Homeport: Old Saybrook, CT Go to Top of Page

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  13:35:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For your use I would think the small airdecks would be a great fit. We had a Mercury airdeck that was light to carry (62#) and we typically used a 3hp outboard with an integral tank that was also light (30#). That mercury 310 airdeck was used for over 10 seasons before we ended up selling it in good shape to the next owner. Over the years we had over a dozen inflatables and RIBS and had this observation about materials.
Hypalon tougher in feel, lower inflated pressure, heavier, more UV proof, costlier, loses some air over time.
PVC Holds air better , easier to clean, benefits more from cover if in sun, lighter, easier to damage.

Either material can work well dependent upon your needs and the quality of the inflatable you are purchasing.

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

PHOENIX

RO# 13088

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  13:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked at the Hypalon as I learned how much more durable they were, but this is not going to get heavy use and I could by 3 or 4 PVC inflatables for what I would pay for Hypalon. So going with PVC as I want something light and easy to handle. I will look closer at the Mercury as I see a couple of you have been happy with them. Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming

Phoenix
Back Cove 29

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  14:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went through this process and ultimately decided that a PVC boat fit my needs. Hypalon is a better material for sure but it also adds a lot to the price.
I took a look at a lot of brands including West Marine who happened to be having a sale when I was looking. I think their sales are fairly frequent. I was able to look at other brands at a boat show.
In the end I took a leap of faith and bought a 10' 6" Newport with a 4 piece wood floor online from that company.
The wood floor insert adds quite a bit of weight but also adds stability which was important to me.
Like all boats in this price range, it is PVC and made in China. There was an $80 shipping charge for them to send it to NY from CA and there were some issues with shipping caused by FEDEX but Newport went out of their way to make me happy and make things right. It made me glad I bought from them.
The quality of the boat is great! Again though, this is a made in China PVC boat not a high end hypolan RiB. Personally, I like it more than the comparably priced Mercury and West Marine hard floor PVC models at this price point. It has more of a quality feel to it.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on Mar 21 2017 19:54:17

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  14:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Avon still make inflatables? My favorite boat I've had and most regretted selling was an 11' Avon inflatable with a 10HP Honda outboard. Fantastic little inflatable - very well constructed and stupid simple. (I run bigger more complicated boats for a living. I own small uncomplicated ones for fun. I've had my current boat for over 5 years now - new record for me. Usually a season at best before I sell them for something different.)

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  15:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not all hypalon is equal and not all PVC is equal.
The brand does not necessarily determine the type of material nor the quality.
IE - I had a Zodiac with PVC tubes and one with Hypalon tubes , same YL-380 Zodiac.

Sure hypalon is tougher but its also way heavier, harder to clean and its more prone to leaks.
Maybe I can find a pic of the airdeck that was closest to the OP's spec.

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  15:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Airdeck tipped up on swim platform...

[/URL]

Two airdecks behind the boats...

[/URL]

Airdeck in front of large RIB....

[/URL]

PHOENIX

RO# 13088

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  17:06:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not looking at a hard floor as I want to be able to stow onboard in the carry bag. I would also like feedback concerning the ride and durability of the AIR FLOOR models versus the WOODEN SLAT floor models. as you might have already realized, this will be my first inflatable and trying to understand what might be best for me. Most of the time it will be just my wife and I but want a 3 person for the times we have another couple and I need to shuttle people to shore. Base on previous feedback, it sounds like a 2.5hp will do the job. No need for a 4hp ? Looking at the Yamaha 2.5

Phoenix
Back Cove 29

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  17:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Air floors are perfectly fine - just understand you need to really pressurize them for them to do their job.

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  20:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Not looking at a hard floor as I want to be able to stow onboard in the carry bag. I would also like feedback concerning the ride and durability of the AIR FLOOR models versus the WOODEN SLAT floor models"

Airdecks with inflatable keels run pretty well for a non RIB boat. Certainly as nice as our wood and resin floored dinghies of the same size. We typically filled the inflatables from full empty 95% with a small shop vac from Home depot (stinger vac- about $30) then topped them up to pressure with the large Bicycle style pump supplied with some inflatables. You need to make sure you get the pump that will supply enough pressure (about 12 psi or more) for the airdeck and then its easy to get the 3-4 psi in the rest of the chambers> Typically 3 tube chambers / one airdeck fill / and one keel fill. We never really saw a need for anything more than 2.5 to 3 hp unless we had an inflatable that we wanted to get on plane - then it always seemed like 15 hp was the minimum for 3 people to run on plane.

Edited by - smitty477 on Mar 21 2017 20:16:49

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  22:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smitty477

"Not looking at a hard floor as I want to be able to stow onboard in the carry bag. I would also like feedback concerning the ride and durability of the AIR FLOOR models versus the WOODEN SLAT floor models"

Airdecks with inflatable keels run pretty well for a non RIB boat. Certainly as nice as our wood and resin floored dinghies of the same size. We typically filled the inflatables from full empty 95% with a small shop vac from Home depot (stinger vac- about $30) then topped them up to pressure with the large Bicycle style pump supplied with some inflatables. You need to make sure you get the pump that will supply enough pressure (about 12 psi or more) for the airdeck and then its easy to get the 3-4 psi in the rest of the chambers> Typically 3 tube chambers / one airdeck fill / and one keel fill. We never really saw a need for anything more than 2.5 to 3 hp unless we had an inflatable that we wanted to get on plane - then it always seemed like 15 hp was the minimum for 3 people to run on plane.

^^^ This guy nailed it. As far as HP, with my 11' Avon, two adults and dive gear for both (figure 425lbs or so total) that 10HP Honda handled it, but that was about as much as it could handle.

I really, really regret selling that boat. Between puttering around with my dog, and scallop diving, I liked that silly little boat. Instead of towing a flag scallop diving, I'd leave my flag on the boat and tie off to it - let the wind and current pull me along.

happyhour

RO# 4143

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  23:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For durability on the airdeck I lay a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet down. My two huskies love it with no toenail issues. Boat is PVC so I store it under the canvas. I have 3 HP but rated for 5. Once in a while 5 would be good but I like the one arm transport of the two cycle 3 HP.

Homeport: Newport Beach, Ca Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Mar 22 2017 :  09:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went with a hard wood floor because of the dog.
It comes apart and stows in bag.
Adds nothing but piece of mind that he won't rip floor. His nails dig in when he jumps in and out, so floor takes most abuse.
I have Zodiac Zoom 8'6" model. Rollsup with floor out to nice package that I tie down on swim platform. Fast to inflate.
3.5hp tohatsu it moves but is slow. Only planes with 2 people or if one person leans way forward.
Fine for what I need.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

PHOENIX

RO# 13088

Posted - Mar 22 2017 :  20:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for all your input. Right now I am leaning toward the Honda 2.3hp over the Yamaha 2.5hp. Both good engines but the Honda has a 5year warranty and the Yamaha has a 3year. Honda is only $28 more. As for inflatable. I am pretty sure I am going to take the Mercury 270 Airfloor over the West Marine. Comparison: West marine is 8'6" with 2 chambers and glued seams. The Mercury is 8'10" and has the airfloor, 2 chambers, floor and a keel which the West Marine does not have. Plus the Mercury has welded seams. My guess is welded is better than glued. Am I right? Because the Mercury is $240 more than the West Marine. If the keel is no big deal and the welded seams are no better than the glued then I might as well save the money and go with the West marine. Making a decision by Friday and getting this over with

Phoenix
Back Cove 29

Previous Topic: Does anyone here own a Gulfstar trawler? Topic Next Topic: Flooring  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com