BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 1990 Carver help!
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1987 3297 Mariner - Crusader 270 timing ?? Topic Next Topic: Hull thickness on a 1991 Carver aft 33  

Thatxraygirl

RO# 33946

Posted - Apr 10 2017 :  20:19:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad recently passed in December. He loved his boats, he actually lived on his carver and when he retired a couple years ago he spent his days fishing, crabbing and lounging on his Carver and working on his pontoon boat. His name was 'Fishing Dan'.

The 1990 carver montego...both engines Dont won't, it is in a slip. I know very little about boats and am not sure what I should do and if its worth selling or whether I should salvage it. Any advice would mean the world to me, I'm in over my head and emotionally it hurts my heart to take the thing he loved and trash it. Someone has got to want it right?!?

Homeport: MD

JimPend

RO# 5022

Posted - Apr 10 2017 :  21:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good boat, you say engines won't work, what the heck does that mean? Give us more info. on won't work, how many hours on the engines, get someone that can answer these questions. Somebody around the marina, most people that have a boat can answer those for you.

Jim P.

Homeport: Port Clinton, OH Go to Top of Page

Thatxraygirl

RO# 33946

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  05:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a struggle.... The marina is 4 hours from me. I had a mechanic come out and look at it, it and he said both motors were blown, I think he said submerged.... Then he said the boatvwas worthless cause it would cost $40,000 to replace them. Then he charged me $100!!! I know nearly nothing about boats, and the marina isn't helping me.

Homeport: MD Go to Top of Page

Rybad

RO# 16624

Posted - May 29 2017 :  15:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sucks that your in that situation. I recently had to sell a boat that my friend bought from me, and he passed away in a car accident. The family knew nothing about boats so they asked me to assist with the sale, so I obvisouly did so.

However, $40K to replace two engines is a gross over estimate. I had to replace a transmission in mine, which basically means pulling the engine (same as you would to to replace the engine).

To give you an idea, you can get two engines new for about $5-6K. Any self respecting marina should be able to replace the engines for you if you provide them for about $1K-2K each. So even to totally repower that boat In my opinion would be well under $20K. I realize you probably dont wnat to spend $20K, but I thought I would give you a perspective on the matter.

Good luck

Homeport: Gibralter, Michigan Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 29 2017 :  20:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thatxraygirl

Its a struggle.... The marina is 4 hours from me. I had a mechanic come out and look at it, it and he said both motors were blown, I think he said submerged.... Then he said the boatvwas worthless cause it would cost $40,000 to replace them. Then he charged me $100!!! I know nearly nothing about boats, and the marina isn't helping me.

If the boat really had been submerged (how deep, we don't know), then the problems may be far worse than just replacing 2 engines. Throw in a genset and replacing electrical systems and wiring, then the dollars involved can inflate very quickly, to the point that the boat is now worthless.

Now, why are you P-O'd at the mechanic for charging you $100. Do you really think his time and expertise comes free?

One option you have...stop paying the marina and let them deal with it. Or you can just donate it to one of many organizations that accept boat donations.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 1987 3297 Mariner - Crusader 270 timing ?? Topic Next Topic: Hull thickness on a 1991 Carver aft 33  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com