BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 97 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: wildwine ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Rust pieces exiting the exhaust..
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: IAC valve Volvo Penta 5.7gi Topic Next Topic: boat steering hangs up/binds,/sticks  hard port  

pstew96

RO# 12527

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  14:50:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran my engine on the driveway Merc 383 stroker, and a bunch of rust particles came out the exhaust most smaller than a dime, is this normal for an engine about 2 seasons old? Also, could it have caused my thermostat to stick as the temps went from 170 t0 220 then back and forth.??

Homeport: Babylon,NY

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  15:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume this is a raw water engine up and down temp can easily be caused by the low and uneven water flow from the hose. Rust particles can come from the block or manifolds drying and rusting. Did you flush it at layup?

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

pstew96

RO# 12527

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  15:08:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, flushed it, ran it to winterize it and the engine was installed including new risers two seasons ago. I am in a brackish area of Babylon and the barnacles are minimal, so I don't think I should be rotting so quickly. During the season I take her out two or three times a week, so it doesn't really sit.

Homeport: Babylon,NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  15:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well there is no guarantee but I seem to recall crap coming out of exhaust on first start up as well si I would probably just run it and see what happens. If you are concerned a compression check is always a help for sleeping well.

Bruce

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  20:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More than likely it's coming from any raw water side of your exhaust system. I hope it's not a raw water cooling system. it'd be a shame on a 383.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  21:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had exhaust manifold failures where the rust created flakes that looked like Fritos.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
357CID/4V/275HP RWC 1G408541 Alpha1G2 1.62 14-1/2*23*3 Aluminum

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Apr 17 2017 :  23:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps just mostly scale flaking off old exhaust exhaust hoses during slight flex and heat expansion of 1st seasonal startup?

What rpm was the engine run at on the muffs? Anyone else in the house use the water supply?

Since you only mentioned new risers, it is full FWC , right?
But if RWC , does the cooling system employ "poppet valve" style t-stat bypass valves at the t-stat housing?

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

pstew96

RO# 12527

Posted - Apr 18 2017 :  08:55:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its raw water cooled with "poppet valve" style t-stat bypass valves at the t-stat housing....

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Apr 18 2017 :  10:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me guess, the engine has been sitting since you winterized it and you drained the engine/cooling system when you winterized it. Had you replaced the water with antifreeze, it would have come out nice and clear when you first started up.
A buddy of mine used to keep his boat heated during the winter and not winterize the engine. The first start up of the spring, the water looked like mud coming out of the exhaust from all the rust. My boat was winterized with AF and the first start up, my water/AF was just as clear and clean as the day I put it in.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Apr 18 2017 :  21:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an old mechanics trick occasionally employed when an inboard engine showed signs of overheating on the 1st floating sea-trial run of the season. Let cool a bit , restart setting throttle ~~1000 rpm, and fully close the seacock for just a few seconds to build extra RW suction. Then reopen and the strong rush of RW would tend to knock loose and flush a lot of rusty gomph from winter storage. Don't wait too long and burn up the impeller. And it's always possible debris knocked loose could lodge somewhere else not desired.

I've 1st seen this work with a FWC inboard I was on at sea long ago and temps went down from alarming 212+* to consistent normal ~~168 . It was impressive. The immediate exhaust/wake looked very brown with debris but cleared quickly.

Now I usually try that procedure with my non-overheating FWC I/B's 1x or 2x a season to potentially "help things along". Hasn't hurt anything yet, and sometimes riser/elbow temps drop to more comfy feel to my palm if they had felt slightly elevated.

As always, ..."Your mileage may vary."

Sandy

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Apr 18 2017 :  21:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick- It's possible fluctuations in house water pressure varied the pressure on those spring loaded poppet valves , in turn varying bypass and engine temps. Or they &/or the t-stat were affected by debris, or supply or flow was restricted elsewhere. That certainly narrows down the temp issue source.

Sandy

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  09:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sandy that is interesting because I don't think impellers create much suction.

Bruce

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  13:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce - I believe they do when the RW pump is running at relatively low rpm and the impeller is still wiping the wear surface and especially if flow supply is restricted. That's why the supply side hoses are generally wire reinforced to prevent suction collapse.

There certainly is quite a nice burst of RW water out the exhaust when I reopen the seacock after a few seconds.

CYA : I'm not recommending this procedure to anyone , just noting I have seen it provide very beneficial results when we could not have proceeded without it.

Sandy

pstew96

RO# 12527

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  11:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, it doesn't seem to have had any adverse affect, the boat is running very well. Temps are fine also.

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jun 07 2017 :  13:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great thanks for the follow up. My experience parallels yours

Bruce

Previous Topic: IAC valve Volvo Penta 5.7gi Topic Next Topic: boat steering hangs up/binds,/sticks  hard port  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.39 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com