BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 122 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 New Jersey Boating
 Barnegat or Mannasquan Inlet?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Marina Recommendations Topic Next Topic: Local Knowledge Needed: Little Egg Inlet  

Dani-Lu

RO# 19601

Posted - May 19 2017 :  13:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am helping a friend bring his new to him boat from behind owners house on Mill Creek road, Manhawkin, New Jersey, to Jones Beach inlet (Treasure Island marina).

It looks like I will need to go out the Barnegat Inlet. I have never been thru this inlet and bay to the inlet. I would appreciate local knowledge ensuring an uneventful run to LI.

Ultimate goal, get boat into ocean without touching sand and from there I know my way.

Boat is 29' with I/o's.

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by - Dani-Lu on May 19 2017 14:05:54

Homeport: Lindenhurst, NY

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - May 19 2017 :  14:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the looks of it, you have to pass Barnegat inlet to get to Mannasquan.

I'd exit at Barnegat otherwise you have to navigate the Barnegat Bay which I have done many times but would choose to avoid if you could.

The charts say it is shallow but there is a channel on the west side of the bay that is well marked.
From there, you have to make it into the Point Pleasant canal. Try to go at slack tide, the current can be strong. Once in Mannasquan inlet, there are some bridges that open regularly and it's a good spot to top off fuel.

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

Dani-Lu

RO# 19601

Posted - May 19 2017 :  19:00:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went on garmin blue chart today and it looks like Barnegat inlet is the most direct route. Now I need to know if the channels to the inlet are well marked, any areas to be concerned with, should I try to time departure for high tide, or plenty of water at low? Are there any tides I should avoid when going thru the inlet?

Homeport: Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

Cam

RO# 1558

Posted - May 20 2017 :  08:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barnegat inlet is very shallow, but I found that if you follow the locals there, they can guide you through the channels easily.

" If you think nobody cares, try missing a few payments " (author unknown)

Edited by - Cam on May 20 2017 13:15:23

Homeport: Bentley Yacht Club- Staten Island, NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Marina Recommendations Topic Next Topic: Local Knowledge Needed: Little Egg Inlet  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com