BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 129 ]  [ Total: 134 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Carver Owners
 1987 3297 Mariner - Crusader 270 timing ??
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New floor in my 440 Express Topic Next Topic: 1990 Carver help!  

Rybad

RO# 16624

Posted - May 29 2017 :  13:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently bought a 1987 Carver Mariner 3297. We absolutely love the boat, the layout for a 32' simply cannot be beat including newer 32's. Anyway, since my wife and I love it so much, I wanted to do some upgrade. One of the upgrades was to remove old points/condenser and replace with Pertronix electronic ignition retro-fit. As part of this install, I need to adjust timing. Here lies my problem. I simply cannot find any service manuals or references to the timing on a 1987 Crusader 270 5.7l GM 350.

For the love of God man.. does anyone know the timing, and correct idle for this year model. And preferrably the total advanece timing?

I currently set to 10*BTDC but both engines run much worse than with old fashioned points

I did purchase the correct Pertroinx kit for my Malory distro

Homeport: Gibralter, Michigan

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 29 2017 :  20:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to ask your question over in the engines forum. You have an engine issue, not a Carver issue.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

cmariner32

RO# 7269

Posted - May 29 2017 :  23:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a previous owner of a 3297, and to quote GVP (previous boatered partner and engine guru)you should invest in an adjustable timing light as it really doesn't matter what the timing is at idle-you want the correct timing at cruise. Timing should be done with a adjustable (digital) timing light. Based on what grade of gas you use, set the timing light to 32 degrees advance for high test, 30 for mid-grade. Run the engine at 3000 RPM and the timing mark on the harmonic balancer should be adjusted and set for 0 degrees TDC.

The only thing that works on an old boat.....is the Owner.

Homeport: Clearwater/St. Pete Florida Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: New floor in my 440 Express Topic Next Topic: 1990 Carver help!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.33 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com