BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 91 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: DSerge ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 LICC - Long Island Cruising Club
 Watch Hill 2018
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Diesel Aftercooler Service Topic Next Topic: Super low tide  

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  09:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just received an email from FOWH

They are stating Watch Hill will be completed the end of this year and will be open for the 2018 season.
And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport:

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Oct 24 2017 :  09:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The multimillion dollar contract for the Watch Hill marina project was recently extended to allow time to address unforeseen and necessary repairs to the substructure. Upon completion of the substructure repairs, composite lumber decking and new pedestals will be installed on the adjacent boardwalks. While work on the marina contract is underway, the NPS will replace the roof and siding on the Watch Hill Visitor Center and build a new 150-foot section on the nature boardwalk trail. Construction at Watch Hill will be completed by the end of the year and the updated facilities will reopen for the 2018 season.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

Robski97

RO# 7334

Posted - Oct 30 2017 :  10:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wonder what yesterdays flooding did.

Funny how there are no pictures of work... Very odd

Rob

2006 44 Sundancer

Edited by - Robski97 on Oct 30 2017 10:46:02

Homeport: Merrick, NY Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Oct 30 2017 :  12:29:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping to go to Watch Hill in August 2018. When should I book it?

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Oct 30 2017 :  16:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No such thing as booking, you can call the day you want to go, see if they have a slip and book that day. But, you are to be there that day or you can lose the slip. The good news is, if I remember correctly you have the Silverton 33 Sport Bridge, which means your beam is around 12'4" which means you have many slips available for your boat. Keep in touch when you want to go there, will try to meet up with you. Friday and Saturday are prime times, but with your beam, you should be fine.

George Carlin

jeff_c

RO# 25917

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  11:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard that the ask is too high and the past/current vendor will not be pursuing Watch Hill or Sailors Haven next year due to the low margins as it is.

Past:
1970 13' Boston Whaler Sport...the "Minor Decision"
2007 Formula 31PC...the "Family Decision"
2000 Proline 30 Express...the "Our Decision"
1997 Hydra-Sports 22' Center Console...the "Split Decision"

Homeport: Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

Robski97

RO# 7334

Posted - Nov 03 2017 :  19:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be sad. They did a great job.The park service is such a hindrance. They want the concessionaire to take all the financial responsibility and tie their hands .. LEt them run it like a for profit business that it is. Charge a real rate. Rearrange the FING slips to accommodate the boats that actually frequent the damn place as opposed to the people that visit one a year. Its a losing battle . Stupid always wins

Rob

2006 44 Sundancer

mintregila

RO# 13060

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  07:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They spent all this money to get exactly what they had before, just repaired. Typical government bs. They flat out told everyone that they did not care to make it more accessible/usable. I don't blame the guy for not taking a bad deal. Too much risk with no reward.

Mark I -
06 Pursuit 3070 OS Exp
95 26' Wahoo CC
03 Blackfin/SaltShaker 29 Combi - Sold
05 290 Amberjack - Sold
90 Viking 38 - Sold
84 Trojan F36 - Sold

Homeport: Long Beach, NY/Pompano Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

Robski97

RO# 7334

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  10:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agreed and friends of watch hill is mute

really disappointed

Rob

2006 44 Sundancer

bmac

RO# 29428

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  18:27:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Donít even get me started......the next excuse coming out of the NPS pie hole will be that WH canít be opened because they have no concessionaire to operate it. That kind of stupidity is well within their capacity

Homeport: Blue Point, NY Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  10:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Brian, never thought of that.

George Carlin

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  10:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.nps.gov/fiis/learn/news/concession-opportunity-for-fire-island-national-seashore-at-watch-hill-and-sailors-haven.htm

George Carlin

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  11:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Youze guys are gonna have to help me plan my trip this summer....expecting 3 boats, 30-35' range so hopefully we have no problems getting a slip.
Plan is to go to Watch Hill from Croton Point on the Hudson, I figure we can do that in one day, maybe 6 hours?
From there through the Shinnecock canal, stop at Greenpoint. Next stop is Mystic seaport. Any other suggestions?

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  11:18:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WALSHIE

Youze guys are gonna have to help me plan my trip this summer....expecting 3 boats, 30-35' range so hopefully we have no problems getting a slip.
Plan is to go to Watch Hill from Croton Point on the Hudson, I figure we can do that in one day, maybe 6 hours?
From there through the Shinnecock canal, stop at Greenpoint. Next stop is Mystic seaport. Any other suggestions?

Chris, you should try to get to WH on a Friday, to be sure you get slips.

Greenport is very nice, are you looking in Sterling Harbor or at the Town dock?

How long are you going for?

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  12:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we leave the Hudson at say 8am and get to WH by 2pm is that ok?

I've never been to Greenport, what do you recommend?

Are my times reasonable, from Havestraw to WH in 6hrs?
I figure it's similar to PortJeff which we did comfortably in one day.

I assume From WH to Greenport in one day is fine.

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 08 2017 :  14:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If we leave the Hudson at say 8am and get to WH by 2pm is that ok?

I've never been to Greenport, what do you recommend?

Are my times reasonable, from Havestraw to WH in 6hrs?
I figure it's similar to PortJeff which we did comfortably in one day.

I assume From WH to Greenport in one day is fine.

Greenport: Town dock is clean and right in the middle of town. It offers only showers and bathrooms.

In Stirling Harbor, you have Townsend marina, which has a pool, and a fairly long walk to town. There are also two Brewer yards, Stirling Harbor is much nicer, but much farther from town than Townsend. I think they might have a shuttle. They have a pool and restaurant.

As far as distances, hopefully the LICC guys can chime in.

In Mystic, you have several choices. If you have a dink, you can dink up to the Shipyard. I recommend eating at the Daniel Packer Inn.

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

bone354

RO# 27559

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  12:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your just using WH for a stop over. I would just take the LI Sound Maybe stop at Port Jeff for the night then head east from there. Nice deep water the whole way. Instead of 5' on south shore the whole way.

Homeport: Hauppauge,New york Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  20:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

6 hours is about right if all goes well and you run the Ocean to Fire Island Inlet. Once inside, you have to stay between the buoys or youíll run out of water, especially approaching Watch Hill.
If ocean is snotty you can duck in East Rockaway Inlet which is only about 8 miles from Breezy Point, or go another 12 miles beyond that to Jones Inlet. Ducking in either will add time to your trip because of 5 mph zones though. But both are IMHO pretty straightforward. Fire Island Inlet is not.
Iíve got no experience in the bays East of Watch Hill but know of several who have had problems because of very shallow spots in Moriches Bay. Iíve heard that Shinnecock Bay isnít much better.
If I were unfamiliar with the very shallow bays on the south shore but really wanted to spend a little time on Fire Island I would run the ocean to Fire Island Inlet and stay at Atlantique. I understand non residents have no problems getting in there on weekdays, and when youíve had your fill of the beach you can take Water Taxis from there to towns with restaurants. Itís very close to the inlet and probably a lot less bugs than Watch Hill as the sun goes down.
I stopped going to Watch Hill years ago because the cabin on my old boat was like a cave for a family of four huddled in there trying to avoid getting eaten alive at dinner time.
This boat is much bigger, and the kids are older now and donít do many trips with us anymore so we may go back. Now we have satellite TV and a more comfortable cabin so we probably wonít mind hiding from the bugs for a few hours.
When your done with FI you could go back out the same inlet and run the ocean to Shinnecock to avoid Moriches.
If the ocean is really good when you head east you could run around Montauk Pt. and come back to Greenport and have no worries about running aground.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

Robski97

RO# 7334

Posted - Nov 12 2017 :  08:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly.Id baypass Watchhill all together. Too many risk factors. ( not getting aslip, having to go tru Moriches and the locks ) Its just not worth the possible grief.

much nicer places ( green port, shelter island, blk island, Montauk )allof which u can make a reservation for and not have to worry about anyting other then what time to start drinking and eating .

Just my opinion

Rob

2006 44 Sundancer

Robski97

RO# 7334

Posted - Nov 12 2017 :  08:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan,
How u been buddy... Next year I'm all out east. No more sand box. Whats ur status

Rob

2006 44 Sundancer

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Nov 12 2017 :  09:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree with Rob.

Also, I just read article in newsday that Davis Park suffered $2million in damage from the recent storm
Check this out:

http://fireislandandbeyond.com/video-and-images-storm-damage-at-davis-park-marina/

I wonder what happened at the "new" Watch Hill.
Said this before and I will say it again, I bet Watch Hill doesn't open. Eventually the funds to repair won't be there and the NPS will declare it unsafe. We are slowly losing marinas and they are not building new ones.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Nov 14 2017 :  09:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robski97

Honestly.Id baypass Watchhill all together. Too many risk factors. ( not getting aslip, having to go tru Moriches and the locks ) Its just not worth the possible grief.

much nicer places ( green port, shelter island, blk island, Montauk )allof which u can make a reservation for and not have to worry about anyting other then what time to start drinking and eating .

Just my opinion

I
Rob

I agree completely!
But, if you do want to take the ocean and want to do an overnite or two on Fire Island then take a look at Atlantique. Itís a short distance inside the Fire Island Inlet.
But honestly, unless you have a real burning desire for a beach, I think heading east through the Sound is a much nicer and far less stressful trip.
Having traveled west through the Sound from Westbrook Ct. to NYC, done many other trips in and around NYC, and ventured as far north up the Hudson to Kingston, Iíve come to realize how more enjoyable it is to regularly see double digits on the depth finder.
Donít see that much down here.
The south shore, itís often narrow channels and itís shallow bays are much more suited to smaller boats, especially on weekends, and beach worshipers.
I own the property where I dock my boat, itís about a 20 minute ride for me, but if I were paying to be in a Marina Iíd seriously consider driving the extra 10 or 15 minutes in the other direction and keeping the boat on the North Shore.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

JohnC

RO# 204

Posted - Nov 22 2017 :  13:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
But, if you do want to take the ocean and want to do an overnite or two on Fire Island then take a look at Atlantique.

I like Atlantique early and late in the season but getting in there during the summer if you're a non resident is almost impossible from my experience.

Homeport: Long Island, New York Go to Top of Page

bmac

RO# 29428

Posted - Nov 26 2017 :  14:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robski97

Bryan,
How u been buddy... Next year I'm all out east. No more sand box. Whats ur status

Rob

Hey, Rob, hope all is well. We are unsure of our plans for next season. We had a good 2017 at Atlantique and MYC. Iíd like to go to MYC for the whole season but the wife isnít interested (go figure). We are also debating moving up, moving down, sitting still or maybe even getting out for a season or two. Time will tell.

Brian

Homeport: Blue Point, NY Go to Top of Page

Robski97

RO# 7334

Posted - Dec 02 2017 :  10:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dude,
as always ur soap opera... keep me posted. Were gone in march . EAST we go. There is no turning back.

Would love to see u out there pal.

Rob

2006 44 Sundancer

BillyK

RO# 24466

Posted - Dec 08 2017 :  14:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I spoke with someone who is involved with the construction. He says they will be wrapping up the work in the next few weeks and Watch Hill will be opening on time. As for the vendor, there is politics on the island that make it difficult for new people to start, and it's not only the government. He said the bid process is to start very soon.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Happy Holidays to all.

Billy K.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Homeport: Patchogue, N.Y. Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Diesel Aftercooler Service Topic Next Topic: Super low tide  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.45 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com