BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 57 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 How do you winterize you AC
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fresh Water system has low pressure at faucets Topic Next Topic: Dont  have to leave the slip.  

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  09:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately I discovered yesterday the AC system is a push, not a pull. Putting the hose in a bucket of antifreeze did nothing.

I did research last night and discovered various ways to winterize the AC. SeaFlush looks interesting.

The one I like the best is to use a drill with a pump attachment and push water thru, in reverse, from the thru hull exit and let it works it's way back through the system, to the seacock, and then out the bottom thru hull.

What do others do? This was never an issue before since I kept my boat in the water and kept a cabin heater in the cabin and an engine heater in the engine compartment. Now my boat goes into a boatel for the winter.

Thanks,

Formerly "MrsRobinson" on here
2005 Monterey 302
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold
1995 Sea Ray 330DA - sold
2004 Maxum 2400 SCR - sold
1996 Maxum 1900 SCR - sold

Homeport: Stafford, VA

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  10:01:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hook up a container of pink and let it pull thru. Turn on both A/C units and it sucks it thru.
I know some pump from outside, but if you have multiple A/C units that could favor one and not the other.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  10:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CurrentSea, beautiful boat, reminds me of my 2001 3780.

I have one AC, it's in the aft cabin. Pump and seacock thru hull are in the engine compartment. I tried disconnecting the hose at thru thru hull, and inserting the hose into a bucket of antifreeze. Nothing. I tried pouring antifrezze directly into the hose, nothing. There was a mechanic wintering the boat next to mine, he said the AC is a push, not as pull, that I will need to push water thru with a pump or gravity feed water in.

2005 Monterey 302
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

Homeport: Stafford, VA Go to Top of Page

JimPend

RO# 5022

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  11:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most AC pumps are flooded pumps and have to be install below the water line to work they will not suck water or antifreeze unless it is poured into them.

I pull the exit hose and pump antifreeze back thru the system, I use a hand pump with the AC off.

Jim P.

Edited by - JimPend on Nov 04 2017 11:03:03

Homeport: Port Clinton, OH Go to Top of Page

bone354

RO# 27559

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  11:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a plastic 55 gallon hand drum pump. I put a plastic barb hose reducer that fits into the thru hull outlet with a little Teflon tape on it and a hose clamp on the plastic hose end. Just put the pickup into the bottle hand pump away thru the outlet hole. Make sure the strainer is clean before other wise it pushes the crap back out the hose and clogs it. Definitely easier if some helps you hold the reducer into thru hull outlet

Edited by - bone354 on Nov 04 2017 11:26:01

Homeport: Hauppauge,New york Go to Top of Page

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  11:29:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like going from the hull exist reverse back thru to the thru hull entrance is the way to go. I ordered a pump for my drill, I'll give that a try.

2005 Monterey 302
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  12:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also blow it out with air.

"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

Homeport: Monmouth Beach NJ Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  15:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gravity feed works just fine.
Just close seacock and let it fill up, then turn it on and it sucks just fine.
I prefer not to pull hoses if I don't have to!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  17:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gravity feed how, without pulling hoses? I tried flooding the strainer but that did not work either.

2005 Monterey 302
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  18:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pump it in thru the exit until I have pink come out the pink up. I have two units but only one pump I pump it in both outputs take about 1 gallon and about 1 minute per hole. quick easy and cheap!

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  19:15:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had a pump that serviced two compressors. So I disconnected the outlets from the pump and blew air through each compressor. Then I loosened the wing nuts on the pump housing to let the water out and that was it.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  19:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine sucks it.
Never had a boat that didn't.
It will lose prime if air gets in but of gravity fedit will restart

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Nov 04 2017 :  21:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience has been the only systems that needed AF were the engines, the waste systems (toilets and pumps), sink drains and the washer/dryer. I blew out all of the fresh water input, AC lines, and the ice maker.

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Nov 05 2017 :  00:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too blow out my water lines lines but the ac is just so easy to pump AF thru. I tried one year to bow out the AC and I guess I didn't get all the water out of the pump and popped a freeze out plug I was able to replace with a screw in the Spring but I never tried that again.
I hate the taste and smell of AF in the water system so I blow it out and one good flush in the Spring and I'm good to go.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Brite Idea

RO# 12714

Posted - Nov 05 2017 :  07:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also winterize with an air compressor, a/c and water system. It's quick and never had a problem.

Homeport: Copiague, N.Y. Go to Top of Page

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Nov 05 2017 :  12:27:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have "NEVER" used any type of AF for my 2 ACs on my 37C. Compressed air is all I ever used since 1993. Separate the pump ~ 1/2" to allow water to escape. It'll be a little funky. I used to put a plastic bag over pump to catch the gunk.
BTW; the compressed air was shot into the 2 AC discharge outlets in hull.

Bob J

Edited by - Bob J on Nov 05 2017 12:28:40

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Nov 05 2017 :  19:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AF left in the water tank can ferment. 'Nuff said.

Carvervirgin

RO# 32836

Posted - Nov 05 2017 :  19:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the Sea Flush system to winterize my boat. The AC won't pull the AF out of the bucket so for that system I just open the sea strainer and insert the Sea Flush Funnel and pour the AF with the AC system running. Works great.

Bucket List, 2001Carver 356
Lake Champlain, Vermont

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 05 2017 :  20:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, you did it the easiest way if you back flushed thru the hull discharge site. Nothing has to be opened or disconnected and if you are on the hard, leave the seacock open and it will displace the water from your strainer and fill it with antifreeze also. When you see pink flowing out the bottom of the boat from the water intake, you're done. My AC pump won't pull up antifreeze either so I have to do it your way when on the hard or push antifreeze thru the hose from the strainer thru the pump, thru the AC unit and out the side discharge if I'm in the water. To do that, I hook a portable 12 volt pump up to the hose from the strainer to the pump, other end of the hose in a bucket of antifreeze and push it thru. One gallon does it either way. Either way works fine. No boat I've ever had would suck up antifreeze by running the pump. I have the Seaflush system mentioned above, haven't tried it yet though.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  12:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory S

Greg, you did it the easiest way if you back flushed thru the hull discharge site. Nothing has to be opened or disconnected and if you are on the hard, leave the seacock open and it will displace the water from your strainer and fill it with antifreeze also. When you see pink flowing out the bottom of the boat from the water intake, you're done. My AC pump won't pull up antifreeze either so I have to do it your way when on the hard or push antifreeze thru the hose from the strainer thru the pump, thru the AC unit and out the side discharge if I'm in the water. To do that, I hook a portable 12 volt pump up to the hose from the strainer to the pump, other end of the hose in a bucket of antifreeze and push it thru. One gallon does it either way. Either way works fine. No boat I've ever had would suck up antifreeze by running the pump. I have the Seaflush system mentioned above, haven't tried it yet though.

The boat was on the hard, and I left the seacock closed while pouring antifreeze into the strainer, no go, and then pouring antifreeze directly into the hose that connects to the pump, no go.

I now have a pump I bought from Amazon that works with a drill. I plan to take my air compressor with me this Friday, blow air thru the hull discharge, and then pump some antifreeze in from the hull discharge. I'm not a fan of a little bit of water left behind, coupled with air, potentially causing rust, so I'll add the antifreeze as well.

2005 Monterey 302
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  12:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i take the hose off the output side of the strainer and pour two gallons in through a funnel with both systems running. I take the plug out of the bottom og the strainer to drain it and open the seacock when the boat comes out of the water to drain any water in the hose.

2006 Meridian 341 Sedan Bridge
Obsession

Newport Yacht Club, Jersey City, NJ

Flotilla Commander USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 42 1SR

Homeport: Jersey City, NJ Go to Top of Page

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  13:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just did mine this past weekend.

Shoved a hose into the thru-hull output and blew it out with my compressor - I have two, so did it through both. Then I used a hand pump to pump pink through the thru-hulls until it came out the intake.

Used about a gallon of pink and took about 10 minutes

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  16:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to be prepared when I get to the boat since I'm over an hour away. For those of you that blow air thru the hull AC discharge, what do you use? If you use an air compressor do use try to get a tight seal or do you just use an air blow gun? I was thinking shop vac or air compressor, just wondering if the seal needs to be air tight.

Same question for those that do it from the other end, at the strainer or the pump.

2005 Monterey 302
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  16:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carvervirgin

I use the Sea Flush system to winterize my boat. The AC won't pull the AF out of the bucket so for that system I just open the sea strainer and insert the Sea Flush Funnel and pour the AF with the AC system running. Works great.

Glad to hear this system/product works. I watched some videos on it this weekend, seemed simple enough, I'm just too cheap to spend the $80 for it.

My generator seacock got clogged this summer; I do see value in this product for unblocking something like this as well.

2005 Monterey 302
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  18:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to get a good seal or at least as good as you can. If you're going to pump antifreeze thru, I'd skip the compressed air. Just leave the seacock open so you can fill the strainer and see pink exit the bottom of the boat. One gallon will be more than enough for one unit. I bought the Seaflush system. pretty pricey for a plastic funnel and a length of corrugated plastic hose. haven't used it yet. I also think it'll be good for flushing clogged thru hulls.

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  18:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we talking a/c or gennys? 2 different systems; see my post for a/c which worked for 22 years; no A/F !

Bob J

Edited by - Bob J on Nov 06 2017 18:48:40

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  18:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CurrentSea

I hook up a container of pink and let it pull thru. Turn on both A/C units and it sucks it thru.
I know some pump from outside, but if you have multiple A/C units that could favor one and not the other.

I pumped from outside on my old boat that had one ac unit. This boat has two units, and although they share a pump and strainer, they have separate discharges on the side of the boat.
If I pump in each discharges individually, wouldn’t the pink go through each system back to the pick up on the bottom independently?

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Nov 06 2017 :  20:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob J

Are we talking a/c or gennys? 2 different systems; see my post for a/c which worked for 22 years; no A/F !

AC

2005 Monterey 302
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Nov 07 2017 :  10:51:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've struggled with AC also...finally, I noticed if given enough patience, I can fill the strainer and it WILL suck the antifreeze.
I have 2 systems, one pump. There must be a check valve cause I can't back-fill. Tried it many times, friends tried it, etc.

But 90% of the boaters near me back-fill. Someone in our club created a 5 gallon bucket with a bilge pump and appropriate fittings...it's passed around.
This is the easiest way IMHO.

For the generator, I bought a set of barbed to hose-bib plastic fittings. For the engines, I added a permanent flush. For water, I blow it through then add a gallon of AF to the tank to get past the pump....same for macerator, shower sump, head, etc. Anywhere there is a pump I like to leave antifreeze sitting in the pump.

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  12:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going back to the boat tomorrow to try to winterize the AC from the thru hull discharge. This is my last day to get this done before the boat has to go into storage. I'm a little anxious I will not have the right tools with me to get it done.

I'm bringing my air compressor, a pump that attaches to a drill I just bought, garden hoses to attach to the drill pump and antifreeze. I'm bringing the air compressor in case I am not successful pumping antifreeze in.

My concern is how to get a tight seal from the garden hose (and the air compressor as well) to the thru hull discharge. For those that do this what kind of adapters, gizmos, fancy things have you come up? I'm thinking maybe a PVC pipe clamped to the end of a garden hose after cutting off the end of the hose, with the PVC hose going into the thru hull. If that is what you do what size PVC, what size garden hose, etc? I'm assuming these thru hull discharges are a standard size and I can pick something up at the hardware store.

Hope this makes sense, and thanks

2005 Monterey 302
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  14:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like you are really over complicating it and risking not getting all the water out. How many units do you have? What's the point of reverse feeding it through the output. You already have a pump. Why not just use your pump to pump two gallons through. You don't have to blow the air out first. The antifreeze will displace it. If you pour the antifreeze into the pump from a height above the pump, it will self prime and push it trhough as fast as you can pour it in. Actually one of the easiest systems to do since the system winterizes itself.

Obsession

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  18:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like he tried that Michael and his pump won't take up the antifreeze. Mine won't either so I use one of the two methods I listed.

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  18:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gregory S

Sounds like he tried that Michael and his pump won't take up the antifreeze. Mine won't either so I use one of the two methods I listed.

Agreed

2005 Monterey 302
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Nov 09 2017 :  19:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,
You’re not going to get a garden hose in the discharge. Just a couple of feet of smaller diameter cheap clear tubing from either Lowe’s or Home Depot that you can shove in the discharge. Cut it in the middle and hook both ends to your pump. Drop one one in to the container of Antifreeze and shove the other end in the discharge and hold it in as tight as you can while you pump the antifreeze in. You’ll probably spill a little, I usually keep a rag in the hand that I’m holding the tube in the discharge with, The antifreeze will go through the system and come out the pickup on the bottom of the boat. I use a cheap hand pump so I usually have an assistant pump away while I hold the tube in the discharge with one hand and the jug of antifreeze with the other.
Since you have one of those little drill pumps you’ll probably have an easier time trying to do it with just two hands if you’v Got something to prop the jug of antifreeze up on. That way you can use one hand to hold the tube in the discharge and the other to trigger the drill.
The whole thing will only take a minute or so once you have everything rigged up.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  07:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, this is my plan, I will be by myself, the drill water pump I have has garden hose connections on both sides so I'm going to have a challenge connecting any other hose to it. I was thinking about buying a washing machine hose connection and cutting off one end, which should be small enough to push through the hull discharge

2005 Monterey 302
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  09:51:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GregR

Thanks, this is my plan, I will be by myself, the drill water pump I have has garden hose connections on both sides so I'm going to have a challenge connecting any other hose to it. I was thinking about buying a washing machine hose connection and cutting off one end, which should be small enough to push through the hull discharge

Or, get a fitting with a garden hose thread on one end with a barb on the other. The home improvement stores often have them in brass near the plumbing stuff and plastic near the garden hoses. Either is fine.
Find a short length of cheap clear tubing that will fit on that barb and also in to the discharge. Attach it to the barb with a clamp and you’ll have what you need.
This is really simple to do once you get what you need.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  10:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you pour the antifreeze in from a point higher than the pump, why wouldn't it work. I did my last three boats that way and never had an issue. Is there a different setup that I'm not familiar with?

Obsession

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  12:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you lost prime in your A/C unit.
Once they lose prime they hard to prime unless they are flooded.
If you can hook up a garden hose to it you can prime it.
Once primed, I would just let pink go in from tank.
I make sure I close my seacock for A/C unit before boat is hauled, this keeps it primed.
Made this mistake once and I could not prime it without a garden hose apply pressure.
The pump can't pump air!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  13:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it done! Used 1/2" plastic hose from Lowe's, with a plastic barb to connect in to tne drill water pump, done in 2 minutes. Thanks everyone.

2005 Monterey 302
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  14:37:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, pretty easy once you have the correct stuff and a plan. I open all my seacocks up once I'm hauled so any water remains drains out.

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  15:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I opened mine as well.

This is new to me, last boats I left in the water year round and used boatsafe heaters in the engine compartment and caframo heaters in the cabins. Used the boats year round.

2005 Monterey 302
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  16:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I make sure I close my seacock for A/C unit before boat is hauled, this keeps it primed.
Made this mistake once and I could not prime it without a garden hose apply pressure.
The pump can't pump air!

Had that problem with my old boat. It wouldn’t prime by going for a ride. I guess some boats are like that.
Simplest way to prime it that I found once back in the water was to open the seacock, take the hose off of the discharge side of the pump for a second or two until water comes out of the pump and then shove the hose back on and tighten the clamps. Turn on the AC and enjoy.
Works every time!
Pulling the hose off for that second or two allows it to vent so water runs in to the pump.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  16:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GregR

Got it done! Used 1/2" plastic hose from Lowe's, with a plastic barb to connect in to tne drill water pump, done in 2 minutes. Thanks everyone.

Glad it worked out! The AC is the easiest thing to winterize on a boat. Now you just have to remember where you put the plastic barb and hose when you go to do it again next year.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Nov 10 2017 :  16:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The pump can't pump air!

Had that problem with my old boat. It wouldn’t prime by going for a ride. I guess some boats are like that.
Simplest way to prime it that I found once back in the water was to open the seacock, take the hose off of the discharge side of the pump for a second or two until water comes out of the pump and then shove the hose back on and tighten the clamps. Turn on the AC and enjoy.
Works every time!
Pulling the hose off for that second or two allows it to vent so water runs in to the pump.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Previous Topic: Fresh Water system has low pressure at faucets Topic Next Topic: Dont  have to leave the slip.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.59 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com