BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Generator Install Location
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: sign-in Topic Next Topic: Email problem  

Rick D

RO# 32381

Posted - Nov 30 2017 :  20:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Looking to get my boat in the water this spring for the first time in 3 years (motor mount stringers were replaced)

Looking to install an older Onan MAJB 3 KW over the winter. I had installed a 4KW Westerbeke years ago but yanked it because it caused the boat to list to port considerably being that it weighed 300+lbs and it was off the centerline to the left of the port engine.

So now that I have a 170lb Onan, do I install it in the same place as the Westerbeke and hope the 130+lb difference is substantially noticeable with regards to the list?...or do I install it centerline on a wood step in front of the engines?

The potential issue with centerline in front of the engines is the wood step would be about 8" above the very back of the fuel tank...where the lines come out of. Assuming the genny is grounded and installed correctly, is that still a fire hazard? Is it coast guard compliant?

Thanks for the info as always.

--Rick
1997 Larson Cabrio 310

Edited by - Rick D on Nov 30 2017 21:15:40

Homeport: Guilford, CT

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Nov 30 2017 :  21:41:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the boat list with one person standing on one side? Pretty much the same weight

I don't see any issues with a generator being 8" from a fuel tank but building a solid platform isn't necessarily easy depending on what you can anchor it to

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

Rick D

RO# 32381

Posted - Nov 30 2017 :  22:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PascalG
I don't see any issues with a generator being 8" from a fuel tank but building a solid platform isn't necessarily easy depending on what you can anchor it to

The motor mount stringers run to a bulkhead which abuts the tank. I haven't designed anything yet but two stainless poles mounted to those stringers and a long stainless rod running to over the tank bolted to the plywood decking in the engine compartment would be a sold basis I would think to support the generator.

I did find a youtube video of someone who mounted the same genny between his two engines. In my boat I don't know if I have the space to do so, but even if I did it would make changing the plugs on the interior side of my 5.7L impossible without removing the genny first.

The other reason for mounting centerline is working on it tucked to the side and forward of the port engine made it infuriating to work on. That was not fun.

1997 Larson Cabrio 310

Homeport: Guilford, CT Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Dec 01 2017 :  08:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Access for maintenance is critical and should be the primary criteria

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper