BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: nancyeliza ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 LICC - Long Island Cruising Club
 1/4/18 Winter Storm
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: USCG Documentation renewal Topic Next Topic: Merry Christmas!  

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  09:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone on the south shore have eyes on water?

High tide in Lindy area looks to be around 11:30 AM and 12:30 tonight.

Please keep us posted on water level.

Cameras are all snowed over!

Thanks!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY

BillyK

RO# 24466

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  09:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Tide is definitely higher than normal with three hours to go. I'll keep you posted. I don't think it will get floating boats on the hard high.

Billy K.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Homeport: Patchogue, N.Y. Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  10:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Higher here in NEFL as well. This "Bomb" status reminds me of "The Perfect Storm." We got caught in the I-10 road closure near Tallahassee FL and saw ice remaining in trees as late as sundown after a partly sunny day. So, Be Careful Out There.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
357CID/4V/275HP RWC 1G408541 Alpha1G2 1.62 14-1/2*23*3 Aluminum

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

JohnC

RO# 204

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  10:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's higher than it's been lately but nothing extreme at this point, still a good distance to the top of the dock on my canal.

Homeport: Long Island, New York Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  11:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!
Stay warm and safe!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  13:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long pants and jackets in St. pete too today

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  13:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heading down that way later to shovel out my Uncle and the check on the boats. All are in different spots. The only one Iím a little concerned about is my kids 18í Bowrider because it is on a trailer on my property which is closest to the bay. The street always floods down there. The other two are stored in different spots further up towards Montauk Highway so Iím sure theyíre fine.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  15:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Freeze warning in North Fort Myers Fl. today. Bruce you must be headed for a freeze.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

BillyK

RO# 24466

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  19:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Low tide is higher than normal, but the storm has passed and so has the push. We were lucky, another 100 miles west and we would have had a lot more trouble. Now we have to worry about single digit temperatures. Winter sure came early this year.
Good luck everybody!

Billy K.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Katie

RO# 9887

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  21:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
14.0" of snow here in Merrick

Silverton 351 99'
Clearwater 19'CC 06'

Homeport: Open Bay Marina, Merrick NY Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  22:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tide was pretty normal at 9:00 tonight. Canal was frozen with snow drifts in spots. Bubblers were working hard.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

CaptCrunch

RO# 32171

Posted - Jan 04 2018 :  23:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First year storing in the water and I've been on edge about it

Hatteras 38c. PhishStix
Past
25 Chris Craft Crowne Totalled Hurricane Sandy
2000 Donzi Z32 SS - Sold

Homeport: Bellmore, NY Go to Top of Page

Dani-Lu

RO# 19601

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  01:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the reason I prefer to dry dock up here - no worries for 4 to 5 months.

Homeport: Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

JohnC

RO# 204

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  11:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tide is back to normal now, if anything on the low side.

Homeport: Long Island, New York Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  12:17:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if any docks got destroyed by the ice. Must be getting pretty thick by now.
I see the camera now and bay looks frozen!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  14:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaptCrunch

First year storing in the water and I've been on edge about it

Iím up in the air about doing it next year. Lots of people on my canal do it and Iíve never heard of a problem. But they mostly live right there so keeping an eye on things is easy for them.
Itís tempting.
It would be really nice to have it tied up at my own dock, plugged in to my own electric, and be able to go in and out of it through a door in the shrinkwrap whenever I want to. Especially with the satellite TV.
I was able to store my old boat up on the hard on my dock property for the winters. It stayed plugged in and I spent a decent amount of time in it with an electric heater going doing different things during the winters.
Unfortunately this one wonít fit so Iím in a boatyard and itís not as easy to spend time plugged in or do things inside it.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

littlebookworm

RO# 27413

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  16:02:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bitter cold has prevented me from doing anything on the boat. I didn't even have time to put in the shrink wrap door. The batteries are still connected, which probably means they're dead or dying and will need replacement in the spring. I'm having major shoulder surgery in two weeks so doing anything next spring is also doubtful. Out comes the checkbook. Maybe I can convince one of my grandsons to do the work while I supervise? Probably not. Stay warm, all, and stay safe. I'm even going to miss the boat show later this month. I'll be in no shape to travel to Manhattan. Shoot!!!! Hy

Homeport: New Rochelle, NY Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  21:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been wondering about you, Hy. I remember you closed last year out with a lot of boat work pending.

I've drained all our RV systems, above ground water systems, and the boat is next. I don't think It's Over, even this far South.

Fellow BE members!!! Can anybody who's already dug out and warmed up, go help Hy, at least recover the batteries and look for loose ends?

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC

Edited by - j-d on Jan 05 2018 21:15:44

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jan 05 2018 :  22:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw a video clip from this morning of Port Jeff looks like they got hit hard from the storm surge not sure about damage but it didn't look got from what I could see. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge?

Dave

ďTime you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.Ē Ė T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

BillyK

RO# 24466

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  08:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Very very low tides this morning. I had to throw the dog up to get her off.It's close to a five foot difference from Thursday's high.

Billy K.

littlebookworm

RO# 27413

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  15:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
j-d; Thanks for the offer. Weather is supposed to 'warm' by Monday so I should be able to spend an hour or so at the boat tying up the loose ends. The rest will wait until spring. Worst case scenario will cost a few hundred for batteries. I'd rather pay that than get injured further trying to avoid some minor damage to the boat's systems. Everything is winterized except for the batteries and the linens. So be it. Spring will come. Stay warm, all, and enjoy the winter break at the boat show. My son-in-law and some of his kids are going so they'll be able to bring back info and photos. Hy

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Jan 06 2018 :  16:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No freeze here in St. Pete. Too close to the water.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Jan 08 2018 :  08:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hy, you have a good point. If we can get/keep a boat going for less than a Thou$and it's a cheap fix! Still wish we could do what you need on the batteries...
Oh well, yesterday (after Jags barely beat Bills in Jacksonville) I worked the boat. Near zero effort compared to you guys up North with more complex boats. Dumped and rinsed the Porta Pottie. Drained the water tank for sink and transom shower. The new (technically re-manufactured) MerC "357" RWC engine has six winterizing drain points. Two on Manifolds, Two on Block, One on Power Steering Oil Cooler, One on Circ Pump Intake (drains Pump and inlet hose as well is Cooling Branch in Intake Manifold.

All this because our plans for next 60 days are uncertain but don't include using RV or Boat.

45* this morning. Lowest I saw this week at home was about 28*. It was quite a little colder out in the FL Panhandle earlier last week.

I wish you all a Short, Warm, Happy Winter. Miss your trip reports, projects and stories over the winter!

Bruce, beware of Falling Iguanas!

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC

Edited by - j-d on Jan 08 2018 08:51:02

littlebookworm

RO# 27413

Posted - Jan 11 2018 :  18:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally got to the boat this afternoon; trying to finish all the little things (like installing two new medicine cabinets at home) before the surgery next week. I installed the door in the shrinkwrap, got into the engine bay to disconnect the batteries, and set up the two humidity absorbants in the cabin. Now that the door's in, I might be able to get back into the boat's cabin next week to put away the linens, even if the temperature is below freezing. After that, all will sit until May. I'm going to have minimal mobility for at least 6 weeks. No guarantees after that of how I'll be physically. Time will tell. Hy

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Jan 11 2018 :  20:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear that. Please keep us up on your surgery. AND RECOVERY, which I pray will be COMPLETE!

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC

Previous Topic: USCG Documentation renewal Topic Next Topic: Merry Christmas!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.47 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com