BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 146 ]  [ Total: 148 ]  [ Newest Member: 56Fifth ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 galvanic isolator
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Production Date on Duracell Marine Start Battery Topic Next Topic: a random shore power question  

mfox1949

RO# 34023

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  13:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to install a galvanic isolator in my Carver 42. What would be a good location to intercept the shore power ground

Homeport: CA

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  14:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Donít know your particular boat but Iíve replaced them on my Sea Rays and they are usually hidden by the factory behind a panel very close to the shore power inlet. Iíd be surprised if your boat doesnít already have one stashed away someplace in-line on the ground between your inlet and 110 panel.
Getting in behind that inlet is also a good time to inspect the wires and make sure you have good clean copper back there.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 08 2018 :  15:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pull your power panel and look behind it. You probably have one there.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  10:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my 45C Silverton it is installed under the cockpit up on a shelf towards the stern of the boat. Mine is very large and heavy. Mine is also about three feet or so from where the shore power connector is on the boat. Wherever you put it, try not to bury it so you can service it if you have a problem.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

mcarrigan

RO# 25569

Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  12:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you know if it's working or if there are any problems? Any way to test them? Mines buried behind my electrical panel also and it's not something I have ever checked.

Homeport: St. Clair Shores, MI Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  12:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a way to test them with a multimeter once you get to it and pull it out. You can probably find something on YouTube that will walk you through it. Itís been a while since I looked in to them. The one thing I remember reading about them is that the newer ones will default to the open position if they fail so that if a Short happens and the electric has to escape out through the ground it can. I donít think the older ones had that safety feature.
Thatís why I swapped mine out.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on Feb 09 2018 17:43:50

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Feb 09 2018 :  14:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both my Carvers had them underneath the electrical panels.
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Feb 14 2018 :  19:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When they fail, you have no shore power. Power comes into the boat to a big transformer, that transformer passes power to another transformer (induction, no physical hardwire connection) if it stops working, you have no shore power.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Feb 15 2018 :  17:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hereís a link to a simple explanation of what they do and how to test them. It notes the fact that the older ones are hard to test and the newer ones are now required to be self testing:

http://www.pkys.com/FAQ/galvanic.htm

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on Feb 15 2018 17:08:18

easttnboater

RO# 23415

Posted - Feb 16 2018 :  15:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by walterv

When they fail, you have no shore power. Power comes into the boat to a big transformer, that transformer passes power to another transformer (induction, no physical hardwire connection) if it stops working, you have no shore power.

That would be an isolation transformer, not a galvanic isolator - correct?

Homeport: Johnson City, TN Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 17 2018 :  14:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No reply since 2/8. seems the OP is less interested that the folks here

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Production Date on Duracell Marine Start Battery Topic Next Topic: a random shore power question  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.39 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com