BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 131 ]  [ Total: 136 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Anyone in a slip with no finger?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Documentation - state registration question Topic Next Topic: Documentation renewal-dont fall for this scam  

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Feb 11 2018 :  17:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to find a new marina this summer and I have limited options. The marina I found just has a floating dock that you back into with pilings at the end but no finger pier along side. In fact, all of the marinas in that immediate area are like that. Anyone have that configuration? I have a swim platform so it's possible to board that way but I think it's much safer to board along side. It's also easier and safer to put lines on the side and bow cleats while standing on the finger.

Anyone have this and can share thoughts?
2006 Meridian 341 Sedan Bridge
Obsession

Newport Yacht Club, Jersey City, NJ

Flotilla Commander USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 42 1SR

Homeport: Jersey City, NJ

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - Feb 11 2018 :  18:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the marinas off the Delaware bay are like that, like mine. Some make their own and take it with them when they pull out in the fall. I guess by the time you finish with the floatation blocks and hardware, it's probably $150-$200. I don't have a problem without one. I board first and disconnect the bow lines allowing the boat to move back to the pier for the rest of my crew.

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page

Robyns Nest

RO# 4846

Posted - Feb 11 2018 :  18:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have a platform you should be ok. Put a few fenders to protect platform and make sure your spring lines are tied properly.

Star Island in Montauk is like that and we do fine even without a platform.

"The future ain't what is used to be."
- Yogi Berra

Homeport: Monmouth Beach NJ Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Feb 11 2018 :  18:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very common around here to back in to places with floating docks and no fingers. Several are even fixed bulkheads with no fingers. Not a big deal. You get used to it.
A foater with a finger would certainly be nice, with a finger on each side would be heaven, but not absolutely necessary.
You just have to get used to tying the lines to work around it.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on Feb 11 2018 18:16:51

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Feb 11 2018 :  18:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will Marina allow you to install a finger pier? Don't know why they wouldn't. Waaaaay back when, neighbor & I installed one between our vessels & we split $$. May want to ask neighbor slip owner if he'll go in on it with you. Half cost if u split expenses !

BOB J

Bob J

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Feb 11 2018 :  19:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see why boarding on the side is easier or safer. Set both springs and bow lines on the pilings and stern lines on the floating dock and that s it.

Your last sentence about putting lines while standing on the fingers doesn't make any sense. Boats ahould always be secured before getting on the dock

Back in, grab and set the springs then the bows, back further and grab / set the sterns. No finger needed

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

gcolton

RO# 9708

Posted - Feb 11 2018 :  21:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Side boarding is easier and safer for smaller people, especially children. Stepping/crawling down to a swim platform can be a problem for them.

George

If you are not boating or golfing you are wasting your day.

Homeport: EAFB Yacht Club Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  08:04:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it depdns on the boat and the dock by typically a floating dock is at th same height as the swim platform so it s usually a short level step on and off. Eaier than climb up on the sides, gunwale, etc... from a fixed dock, tyoically hiher, then yes finger piers are helpful

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  10:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have three small children and elderly parents and my grandmother will be 100 this spring.

Obsession

Homeport: Jersey City, NJ Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  11:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used those type tie ups but rather have fixed side docks with stairs if necessary for easier loading. But you use what you can get.

In your case it might be better to pull up to the fuel or other dock to load passengers.

IMO frail elderly people probably should not go on a boat. Too much can happen. How do they use the head? What happens when you get waked? A good waterfront restauranr will be safer and less scary to people with balance and weak bone problems.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  11:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's a very young 100 ;)

Obsession

Homeport: Jersey City, NJ Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  11:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Over the year We ve had many elderly folks on board as well as young kids and stairs and steps are a problem. Even heavy duty stairs that adjust to the tide and have handrails. Any step up and across is a problem. On the otherhand a level step from a floating dock to a swim platform is painless esepcially as you can have the platform within inches of the dock Dont overthink this

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  12:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one finger on a side, no piling in the middle...when I transient places with two pilings, I am happy as it is easier to dock (IMHO) as the poles guide you in via the rub-rail.

It takes time to get used to setting your lines but it's no big deal. FWIW - I use older lines since the pilings often have splinters.

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

BillyK

RO# 24466

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  14:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Maybe a small boarding ramp would be helpful.

Billy K.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Homeport: Patchogue, N.Y. Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Feb 12 2018 :  15:41:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Main benefit to fingers: get to clean places you don’t normally get a chance to clean.
They’re also nice for people who have problems stepping from a floater or bulkhead to a swim platform with nothing to hold on to.
My wife (she’s turning 61 next month) isn’t always comfortable stepping from the dock on to the platform when we’re backed in someplace. I generally get on the platform first and then let her hold my hand for balance while she steps on.
God bless grandma. Getting on and off a boat at 100 is impressive. I agree with you about the finger being best for her so she can hold on to something for balance or just plant her butt on the boat and swing her legs over.
My home dock is a fixed bulkhead with some high poles, I tie up with port side to the bulkhead. One of the poles is located right at the spot where the transom and platform meet. I put a small handle on that pole for my wife to hold on to when she steps on and off of the boat. Most of our guests who are not used to getting on and off of boats seem to like the security of holding on to the handle too. My 85 years old uncle who is a lifelong boater also looks for something for balance when getting on and off these days.
Me (turning 64), my kids, and many guests who are boaters just step on and off without thinking about it, but lots of people who are a lot younger than your grandma are uneasy and want something to hold on to.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on Feb 12 2018 15:47:14

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 13 2018 :  06:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also depends on the boat design. A cockpit boat might be easier than an aft cabin.

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Feb 13 2018 08:55:08

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Good Grief

RO# 13137

Posted - Feb 13 2018 :  07:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We spent 8+ years at a club w/ no fingers. Seems they could fit more boats in the marina w/o finger . . . so it was a revenue decision. As such, the slips were narrow, and larger boats (read, "prone to wind") would often/always need to fend of leeward boats when docking/departing. We had to hang fenders each time we came in (while with a finger pier, we mount fenders on the pier, and don't have to retrieve/deploy fenders each trip.)

Yes, it will force you to hone your backing skills; no it's no bargain for the average boater!

-Gene
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Homeport: Viking Boat Yard, Verplank NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Documentation - state registration question Topic Next Topic: Documentation renewal-dont fall for this scam  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com