BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 149 ]  [ Total: 152 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Marine Detailing & Fabrication
 Removal of 15 year old vinyl graphics from gelcoat
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Removing mildew stains on fabric/cloth headliner Topic Next Topic: Maintenace of PPG Urethane on a boat  

Blue Cruiser

RO# 23441

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  15:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a dark green 10 inch square graphic that I want to remove and replace. What is the best method? Should i use a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive? After removing the vinyl should I use acetone to remove remaining adhesive. Should I wax the area before applying the new graphic? All advice would be appreciated

Homeport:

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  16:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The common methods are a heat gun or a 3m wheel that goes on a drill. I remember using a spray adhesive remover to remove the residue. Not hard to do but time consuming. Your biggest issue will be that the color of your hull will have changed everywhere except for under the graphic. I would use a cleaner but not a wax before you replace the graphic. Wax area when done.
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

Stephen

RO# 14

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  16:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A hair dryer may not be enough. Find a heat gun with a low/high setting and try low during a sunny day. With any luck the adhesive will come off with it. Yes, use acetone to clean under it when done. I would use wax to restore the gel coat and wait a week before playing the new one.

Homeport: Matts Landing, NJ Go to Top of Page

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  16:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used a hair dryer to heat graphics & a razor blade holder to get under the vinyl. Just go slow & keep blade on a very small angle.

Bob J

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  16:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goo-Gone works, but greasy! I use gasoline.

Steve
"L'Chiam" 29' 2000 Regal Commodore 2660 (2765) T/4.3 Alphas

Homeport: Michigan City/South Bend, IN Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  18:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not all graphics have adhesive. Regardless the surface under will be in a less weathered condition that is usually visible.
Wd40 then laquer thinner are my go to solvents.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - Feb 24 2018 :  22:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob J

I've used a hair dryer to heat graphics & a razor blade holder to get under the vinyl. Just go slow & keep blade on a very small angle.

I've always used a razor blade. Slow and careful and you will be fine.
As mentioned, the gel coat underneath the graphics will still look brand new, where the surrounding are will be well weatherbeaten. You can try compounding the surrounding area and it will help. Just remember, time will fix this problem.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Feb 25 2018 :  21:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have removed a few and the 3M eraser wheel works great! If you need a razor get a plastic razor prevents doing any damage and still works well!

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Feb 26 2018 :  06:40:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3m wheel works best.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Removing mildew stains on fabric/cloth headliner Topic Next Topic: Maintenace of PPG Urethane on a boat  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com