BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 114 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: Robert Lamkin ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Navy Accidents
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Gelcoat repair Topic Next Topic: Recent Navy Collisions - Details  

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Mar 03 2018 :  16:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read this story

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/seamanship/lessons-learned-from-navy-tragedies

Pretty embarassing to read.
Why would you be able to transfer half a helm?
What useful purpose does that serve?
2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Mar 03 2018 :  18:49:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like this site is reloaded from archive since a discussion started on this topic and now you're an original poster on it.

VERY embarrassing to read, indeed. In one sense, conning a vessel isn't rocket science/heart surgery, but in the sense of the downside of poor performance, IT IS. I don't want my airline flight piloted by somebody with 2000 hours of experience in Flight Simulator. This SHOULD say we exceeded the limits of computer based training.

Before the earlier thread I mentioned got dropped, along with all the other recent stuff, I mentioned my disdain for On-Line Boating Classes.

Anyhow, I can only figure the ability to have Helm at Station A, Port Engine at Station B, and Starboard Engine at Station C could have been based on the idea of redundancy in cases of personnel casualties or battle damage or system failures. Also, sometimes we build a system with unintended consequences. Newly commissioned Coast Guard ship, it's winter and the heat went out. Circulating hot/chilled water system. Took hours to find the circulating water was in the bilge not the system. Somehow it drained through a small dishwasher in a little kitchenette called the Wardroom Pantry. What Were They Thinking? Dunno, but it wasn't on the Troubleshooting Decision Tree...

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
357CID/4V/275HP RWC 1G408541 Alpha1G2 1.62 14-1/2*23*3 Aluminum

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Mar 03 2018 :  19:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Looks like this site is reloaded from archive since a discussion started on this topic and now you're an original poster on it."

Not exactly. Still here:

http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=199125

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Mar 04 2018 :  08:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good - Nice no problem on BE end...

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
357CID/4V/275HP RWC 1G408541 Alpha1G2 1.62 14-1/2*23*3 Aluminum

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Gelcoat repair Topic Next Topic: Recent Navy Collisions - Details  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.38 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com