BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 146 ]  [ Total: 151 ]  [ Newest Member: F Niederhausen ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 1957 Merc Outboard Endurance Test - 50,000 Miles
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: I ve been doing it wrong for 30 years!!! Topic Next Topic: Gelcoat repair  

JoLin

RO# 31399

Posted - Mar 04 2018 :  06:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stumbled on this video of a 50,000 mile test at Merc's "Lake X" test facility. The motors were run non-stop for 25,000 miles, torn down to measure for wear, then run non-stop for another 25,000. Test was overseen and certified by the US Auto Club.

Drivers had 8 hours on, 8 hours off shifts, and no ear plugs. If any of those guys are still alive, they're probably deaf! Fascinating to see how testing was conducted in the days before computers and simulators. Just get on the lake and run the thing! Wait'll you see the on-water refueling at speed. EPA would have a heart attack today.

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/blogs/1957-mercury-mark-75-outboard-engine-endurance-record
John and Linda
'Escapade III'
1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
Twin Merc 4.3 Alpha 4V 'Gen +'

Homeport: West Babylon, NY

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 04 2018 :  11:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IIRC running was never a problem with those inline mercs, starting was.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Bliss

RO# 2743

Posted - Mar 04 2018 :  15:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In '59 I had a 60 hp Merc that had no transmission. It reversed - all of the engine reversed - no neutral. When cold it would only start in reverse. I would move around the harbor backwards 'til it was warm. Is there anyone else here old enough to remember those engines?

Homeport: Reef Point Racine, WI Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - Mar 04 2018 :  16:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember them but never had one. The JohnRude's of those years had reverse, and also had an anti-reverse built into the distributor. All it was, was just a hairpin clip kind of thing in a groove in the distributor shaft. If the rotation went backwards the clip would hit a contact and ground out the ignition. The Water Pump must have been special, because most of the rubber vane type don't like running reversed.

Some USCG ships were powered by opposed piston Fairbanks-Morse diesels that had to be shut down and started in reverse rotation instead of reverse in a gearbox or propeller pitch. 311-foot cutter had two F-M's on each of two shafts. Made sure all four were running going into a docking maneuver, and hopefully by the time the lines were made up, at least one was still running. Backfires, crankcase explosions, failures to start...

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
357CID/4V/275HP RWC 1G408541 Alpha1G2 1.62 14-1/2*23*3 Aluminum

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  05:38:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Green top with a silver band around the middle. All cast aluminum. 18-20 HP. Not sure what year. I think older than the video.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Edited by - jtybt15 on Mar 05 2018 05:44:20

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: I ve been doing it wrong for 30 years!!! Topic Next Topic: Gelcoat repair  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com