BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
Save Password

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: subsonic ]
 All Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Anchor rode and chain
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Carver Montego Parts Topic Next Topic: Im back! Negotiating on a Tiara  

RO# 24150

Posted - Mar 04 2018 :  20:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Lewmar v700 windlass and need to replace my anchor rode and chain. The owners manual says that it takes 1/2 inch rope and 1/4 inch chain. It also says that it can use 3 strand or 8 pleat. What brand and type of rope do you recommend.

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  01:32:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no recommendation as to brand but on my last boat I bought it used it had 8 pleated line and I loved the way it looked however I never could get it to work well I always seemed to slip I replaced it with 3 strand and suddenly everything worked great.

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

RO# 114

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  09:25:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure you use the proper type of chain as specified in your owners manual. More than likely it will call for Hight Test (HT) chain. Proof Coil chain will not work in the windlass.

"Livin' life in the laid back lane" - Sunny Jim

Homeport: Sarasota FL Go to Top of Page

RO# 3854

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  09:27:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the Lewmar H700. I have 100' chain with 50' rope on the bitter end. Only once have I actually gotten to the rope which is 8 pleat.
Chain (I am in fresh water) does not deteriorate. Learned my lesson many years ago while anchoring at the beach. Damn near lost the boat.

"L'Chiam" 29' 2000 Regal Commodore 2660 (2765) T/4.3 Alphas

Homeport: Michigan City/South Bend, IN Go to Top of Page

RO# 842

Posted - Mar 05 2018 :  10:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What roy said, the chain gypsy will only work with the exact size link, length as well as wire size. BBB links are common choices because they jam less.

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

RO# 24150

Posted - Mar 07 2018 :  07:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It calls for 1/4 inch g4 or bbb Cain and 1/2 rope. More chain is obviously better than rope but concerned about the weight. Boat is a Monterey 298ss with twin Volvo’s. Boat on freshwater lake. Anchoring depth usually only 10 to 20 feet. Max depth of lake is 40 feet. What is the proper combined length of chain / rope and what is the preferred ratio?

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

Good Grief

RO# 13137

Posted - Mar 07 2018 :  09:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked into this some time ago - seems the most solid recommendations for combined chain/rope rode is from the boating Bible - Chapman's - which, if I recall, recommends chain length equal to boat LOA, at a minimum. An all-chain rode would be preferred, but most recreational boats would permanently ride bow down!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Homeport: Viking Boat Yard, Verplank NY Go to Top of Page

RO# 31399

Posted - Mar 07 2018 :  14:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before you go nuts with a big length of chain, consider how your current rode acts. Is there a problem you need to solve? If not, buy whatever you're running now. You could add some chain, but remember that if the windlass fails or something jams or starts to slip, you'll need to haul it all up by hand. Bear in mind too that your rode length is also dependent on your 'locker'. Make it too long for the depth of the locker and it will pile up and jam on you. I started with 200 feet of rope and had to whittle away at it 20' at a time until it stopped jamming up when I deployed more than 100 feet.

I anchor in salt water in depths similar to yours. I have 150' of rope and 20' of chain. I have an 18 lb Danforth that holds well in the mud and sand bottom here. I normally deploy about 100 feet of rode and the rig holds fine in 20-25 mph winds.

My .02

John and Linda
'Escapade III'
1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
Twin Merc 4.3 Alpha 4V 'Gen +'

Homeport: West Babylon, NY Go to Top of Page

Gene Johnson

RO# 5642

Posted - Mar 08 2018 :  10:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am on my second Lewmar windless and only use New England Premium 3 strand nylon. That was recommended by Lewmar if you do not use their rode.

Homeport: Babylon NY Go to Top of Page

RO# 24150

Posted - Mar 11 2018 :  19:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know a good vendor to a custom length made?

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

RO# 4224

Posted - Mar 11 2018 :  20:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd encourage you to call Lewmar tech support for advice on brand of rope. The last time I spoke to them, they recommended New England Ropes or Samson. As for a custom length, West Marine and Defender both have custom rigging services (; But splicing anchor rode to chain is pretty easy and gratifying (once you get past the first two tucks, that is).

1995 Albin 28TE
Cummins 6BTA5.9 250

Homeport: Malletts Bay, Lake Champlain Go to Top of Page

RO# 13515

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  13:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, From my experiences over the years, as an example: Have used the V700 on 34' sedan bridge and a 25' Rosborough. I've used both 3 strand and 8 plait line. Both worked fine with the Lewmars. Big advantage with the 8 plait is way way fewer hockles to contend with. That and a good swivel makes retrieving the anchor a much more efficient operation. I also used the rule of thumb for rode length, that is 4 or 5 to 1 if a calm night expected and 7:1 ratio for wind conditions on Lake Champlain.
I also favored the CQR anchor, but that of course is my opinion. So if you anchor in max of 12'of water, then add 5' (to be on the conservative side)from bow to water it seems that about 125 - 135 feet of rode would work out. I also like the old rule of thumb of having a boat length of chain. I assume you have a 30' boat?
Enjoy your time on the water.

Homeport: Lake Champlain - Orwell VT Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Carver Montego Parts Topic Next Topic: Im back! Negotiating on a Tiara  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice