BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 89 ]  [ Newest Member: 56Fifth ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Licensing, Testing, Mandatory Education
 Opinions on Masters Course (type)
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: How not to die whilt jet skiing  

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - Apr 05 2018 :  11:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking in to finally finishing up and getting my 6 pack. IN researching courses I found that it would be more efficient to go right for my masters license. I'd love to say that I have the time to take off from work but I don't so I'm going with the online option(s). My question to you fellow boaters is which vendor/course? I've looked at a few and spoke to customer reps and so far, I'm not really seeing any differences.

Looking for references and/or opinion.
Douglas Warren
"You never get sumthin' for nuthin'"

Homeport: ny

pacemakertom

RO# 16225

Posted - Apr 05 2018 :  21:27:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to Mariners School. Upgrade to Master was an additional $ and the test
Go for it

Tom

USCG Master with towing endorsement.
Captain, Seatow Delaware River

"He who dies with the most toys..... Wins!!

Homeport: Delran, New Jersey Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Apr 06 2018 :  01:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get a Master endorsement on an MMC via an entirely online course now?

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Apr 06 2018 :  07:47:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kind of scary isn't it?

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Apr 06 2018 :  20:13:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think you can do the master unless you have a 6 pack... I don't see any reference to an online master course in the Original Post and I don't think it exists.

The whole thing is a joke anyway. That s why you end up with a 20 year old running a 95 footer on 7 pax day charter with a 21 year old mate and a DEAD pax chopped up by a prop just 1/2 mile from USCG Station Miami. (Last week end look it up )

I did my OUPV, 100 T and 200 T with Sea school. It s pretty much a scam. Final class day for the 200 T, we did a rehearsal test... I must have dozed off and missed the part where the instructor said the final exam would be identical because the next day, everybody wrapped up their test in an hour whereas not having memorized the answer I was the last one to finish. What a joke.

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Edited by - PascalG on Apr 06 2018 20:15:20

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Apr 06 2018 :  21:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PascalG

I don't think you can do the master unless you have a 6 pack... I don't see any reference to an online master course in the Original Post and I don't think it exists.

The whole thing is a joke anyway. That s why you end up with a 20 year old running a 95 footer on 7 pax day charter with a 21 year old mate and a DEAD pax chopped up by a prop just 1/2 mile from USCG Station Miami. (Last week end look it up )

I did my OUPV, 100 T and 200 T with Sea school. It s pretty much a scam. Final class day for the 200 T, we did a rehearsal test... I must have dozed off and missed the part where the instructor said the final exam would be identical because the next day, everybody wrapped up their test in an hour whereas not having memorized the answer I was the last one to finish. What a joke.

It is a joke nowadays - but not the funny kind. Not to dump on the OP, but the ticket alone is NOT marketable nowadays. The "sea schools" that sell you your license have destroy4d any credibility in lower level licensing. My original issue, I did the insane application package, tested at the REC (and got NO concessions except parking in their lot and caught hell for that), and had to legitimately document my sea time - not the "push, pull or drag, come on down, we'll help you gundeck [read: forge the application for federal licensure] your sea service and any other paperwork and spoon feed you the test! Guaranteed to pass, nobody fails!" kind of scam that the NMC inexplicably looks the other way on.

OP - I apologize to rant on your thread. If you're planning to work on your credential, understand that in and of itself it holds almost zero value anymore thanks to the USCG licensing folks looking the other way on the paper mill "sea schools". Anyone can buy a license. If you're willing to pay, you need not know salt water from dog piss. If you're looking at it as a personal accomplishment, only you can set the value on that and our opinions should not bear on it.

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page
  Topic Next Topic: How not to die whilt jet skiing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com