BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 What battery to buy?
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 2001 90 HP Johnson steering issue Topic Next Topic: gauge wire - will 12 work for 1000watt amp?  

pstew96

RO# 12527

Posted - May 09 2018 :  08:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its that time again to replace batteries, but I am not spending $300 each on a bluetop or redtop thats crazy, anyone recommend a decent choice?

Homeport: Babylon,NY

JoLin

RO# 31399

Posted - May 09 2018 :  08:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assume you're talking about flooded lead-acid, then? A friend says he's always had good luck with whatever batteries Costco sells. Cheap to buy and he always got at least 3 years out of them.

John and Linda
'Escapade III'
1992 Carver 26 Command Bridge
Twin Merc 4.3 Alpha 4V 'Gen +'

Homeport: West Babylon, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - May 09 2018 :  09:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used interstate flooded cell batteries and been satisfied

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

pstew96

RO# 12527

Posted - May 09 2018 :  09:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking I could get a deep cycle/AGM, I figure I could get at least 5 years out of them.. Yes, Interstate is a highly rated battery.

Homeport: Babylon,NY Go to Top of Page

NY Weasel

RO# 11933

Posted - May 09 2018 :  09:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pep Boys does have Blue Tops on sale for 25% off...picked one up for $212 at the Baldwin NY store.

2004 Albin 28TE

Homeport: Freeport, NY Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - May 09 2018 :  09:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You didnít specify which size and type youíre looking for.
Costco sells Interstate but doesnít have a large selection of Marine Batteries.
Walmart has a larger selection of Marine Batteries and they are made to the same specs as the Interstates.I used to get the Group 27 Dual purpose Batteries from them for my old boat and never had a problem with them.
Unfortunately, Walmart doesnít stock the group 27 Cranking Batteries I need for my current boat so I went for the extra money and got the Interstate label from MarineMate for a pretty decent price..
The boat has 5 so I did two last year and three this year.
I wanted to switch to Group 31 AGMís because they are in a tough spot to get to for checking the fluid level but the total price for five is nuts.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 09 2018 :  10:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pstew96

I was thinking I could get a deep cycle/AGM, I figure I could get at least 5 years out of them.. Yes, Interstate is a highly rated battery.

AGM's ain't going to be cheap either. Save your money and go flooded and Interstate would be a good brand to buy. They should last you 5 years as well.

Go deep cycle. Don't go with the starting/deep cycle combo battery.

Edited by - cwms on May 09 2018 10:08:07

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - May 09 2018 :  13:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can find the data the weight of a battery is a clue as to its construction. Heavier batteries have more metal.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

pstew96

RO# 12527

Posted - May 09 2018 :  14:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I'll measure what I got and find an Interstate dealer...

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - May 09 2018 :  19:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interstate is a good battery. After 5 years with those batteries without ever checking the water, they went bad. Actually one battery lasted 6 years. When I needed to replace them, I looked at the $300.00 batteries, warranty was a bit longer but from a cost aspect, they made no sense. Just saying, I did not see the value (longevity) of the $110 interstate compared to the $300.00 AGM.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

j-d

RO# 15782

Posted - May 10 2018 :  05:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Walmart for vehicles and the deep cycle in the RV. They're pretty good batteries, and I can get one nearly anywhere and likely 24 hours a day.

I'd been using Sam's Club batts but got tired of their access limitations. Unsat for the RV and vehicle situation, but the GP24 Marine Start batteries for the boat, have a little more capacity than the WM ones. It'll start on One and re-start on Both even if one is weak. And.. Sam's had $25 instant rebate on their flooded batteries right when I needed one. $39 for a new MS battery was sweet!

Shipmates, I'm glad this discussion is so practical! Sometimes More doesn't bring Better. A friend asked me to help with dead batts in is 26 Sundancer. Turned out they were AGM from WM, dead and WM said they wouldn't take a charge. They pro-rated the AGMs, furnished flooded and a partial refund of the much higher AGM price. My friend was very happy with the deal and his flooded batteries. BZ to WM on this one.

God Bless, jd
1996 Sea Ray 215EC
357CID/4V/275HP RWC 1G408541 Alpha1G2 1.62 14-1/2*23*3 Aluminum

Homeport: Sunny Florida Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - May 10 2018 :  13:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look closely at the label on the Walmart batteries. Theyíre made by the same company that makes Interstates and have the same specs.
Unfortunately they donít carry the ones I needed for this boat, but if they have the size and type youíre looking for you may be able to save yourself some money.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

ccdjoe

RO# 19482

Posted - May 14 2018 :  14:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Choosing which batteries to buy depended on some important issues for me. My 32' twin diesel cruiser came with 3 large/heavy flooded batteries arranged so as to provide adequate cranking and house power as needed. They were a royal PITA requiring gymnastic skill to open up the deck and hanging down to check regularly for water levels especially adding a bit here and there in summer when they needed it most. After three years they began to give off strong acid/gas smells that of course seemed to concentrate in the lower cabin. I kept the boat connected to shore power when at my dock. I switched the three batteries for AGM and problem solved for 5 years and beyond. More than worth the extra bucks.

Capitalism is the only ism that has raised people out of poverty.

Homeport: Oriental, NC Go to Top of Page

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 14 2018 :  18:02:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with ccdjoe. While I'm a fan of flooded batteries, there certainly are instances where a sealed battery like AGM or gel, is the best way to go even at a higher price.

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - May 15 2018 :  11:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used.....
M29MF ACDELCO VOYAGER BATTERIES FOR THE LAST 15+ YEARS. MAINTENANCE FREE! ~ $160.

Bob J

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

pstew96

RO# 12527

Posted - May 16 2018 :  12:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to buy the Excide batteries at Home Depot, I figured I am going to sell the two boats next season so why fuss over the batteries since it will only be a few months... The new boat will be more important...Thanks!

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - May 16 2018 :  14:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that they started carrying some basic car maintenance stuff a couple of years ago, but didnít know theyíre selling batteries too now.
Iím in there a couple of times a week. Iíll have to look for them next time.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Michael Clemensen

RO# 2006

Posted - May 16 2018 :  16:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Car/Boat batteries at Home Depot and 2 x 12's at NAPA! Whatever improves the bottom line I guess!

Homeport: Winthrop Harbor, Illinois Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: 2001 90 HP Johnson steering issue Topic Next Topic: gauge wire - will 12 work for 1000watt amp?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com