BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 LICC - Long Island Cruising Club
 Seeking Lawyer for Canal Dispute
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Watch Hill Fire Island 2018 Topic Next Topic: Splash dates  

kwmeyer13

RO# 32698

Posted - May 13 2018 :  20:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,
I find myself in the need of a lawyer that is familiar with the laws and regulations that cover the canals in Freeport. If anyone has knowledge or experience with one could you please pass along his or her contact information.
Thanks,
Kevin

Homeport: Freeport N.Y.

Robski97

RO# 7334

Posted - May 14 2018 :  09:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin,
Very vague need more info as to the issue .

Rob

2006 44 Sundancer

Homeport: Merrick, NY Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - May 14 2018 :  15:44:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the dispute is with a municipality regarding zoning or permits, try to find one that regularly deals with that specific municipality and their planning, zoning, and governing boards to eliminate the “learning curve”. There are all kinds of little fifedoms here on Long Island. Villages, Towns, Counties, and within each the people on both sides usually “know” each other and their “systems” pretty well.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - May 14 2018 :  17:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably that new law they want to pass.
They want to limit number of slips you can have behind your home.
They claim in town of Hempstead people are turning their yards into marinas.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

kwmeyer13

RO# 32698

Posted - May 14 2018 :  21:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really don’t want to get into specifics on a public forum due to the fact that I am not sure what is legal or not. However the long and short of it is that one neighbor has an illegal boat lift that the Village is aware of but for some reason the Village of Freeport refuses to address. Another is a boat which past the second half of high tide with the slack in the lines and a slight breeze only leaves between 11 or 12 feet of canal to get down and my boat has a 12’6” beam. The boat lift is an ongoing issue and the other is one that just started.

Edited by - kwmeyer13 on May 14 2018 21:38:16

Homeport: Freeport N.Y. Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - May 15 2018 :  09:03:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in an incorporated Village too, although not on the water. Does the Village have jurisdiction over the canals in Freeport?
If so:I’ve found that the sqeaky wheel gets the most oil and have been able to get things accomplished by going to the public meetings to make my complaints and get them part of the minutes. It also helps to know exactly what Village codes the offenders are guilty of. These are usually available on municipality websites or can be obtained in person. Bring pictures with you. Keep showing up until you get resolution.
If the Town of Hempstead regulates the waterways you can go to one of their public meetings and do the same thing.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on May 15 2018 09:05:13

kwmeyer13

RO# 32698

Posted - May 15 2018 :  15:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Freeport has jurisdiction over my canal. If it were the TOH the boat lift would be gone already according to them. The lift extends more than 1/3 df the width of the canal. We have been told that a fixed object can not exceed 1/4 of the width. Had the owner done what he could to minimize the distance away from the bulkhead that his lift extends than it would not come to this but unfortunately this neighbor thinks he can do as he pleases. The VoF is dragging its heels so it seems that I little choice with this. I am hoping to come up with a solution with the boat owner that has his boat loosely tied, but that has not happened yet.

CaptCrunch

RO# 32171

Posted - May 15 2018 :  19:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the mayor and village attorney very well. I may be able to put you in touch with the right people within the village

Hatteras 38c. PhishStix
Past
25 Chris Craft Crowne Totalled Hurricane Sandy
2000 Donzi Z32 SS - Sold

Homeport: Bellmore, NY Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - May 15 2018 :  19:39:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There you go.....

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

kwmeyer13

RO# 32698

Posted - May 15 2018 :  20:35:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CaptCrunch any help and or advice is much appreciated. The large boat loosely tied has been addressed and should be taken care of, time will tell but I am hopeful. The owner is going to rearrange and resize his dock. I am glad it is going to be resolved without resorting to legal measures. The boat lift unfortunately will not be settled by talking.

CaptCrunch

RO# 32171

Posted - May 15 2018 :  21:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Send me a pm or email me aT industrialbrokerageins at gmail

Hatteras 38c. PhishStix
Past
25 Chris Craft Crowne Totalled Hurricane Sandy
2000 Donzi Z32 SS - Sold

Homeport: Bellmore, NY Go to Top of Page

kwmeyer13

RO# 32698