BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 187 ]  [ Total: 188 ]  [ Newest Member: Tolly34ss ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Boat Wifi with Bullet M2HP
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Some Nautical Experience South Pacific Style Topic Next Topic: Pulling the triger on Nav stuff, just checking!!  

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - May 30 2018 :  16:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gave up on my Rogue and bought a Bullet M2HP.
It is basically the same device.
But for the life of me I can't make this work with a router.

I have:

- Bullet M2HP
- POE
- Linksys Router

I can access Bullet when I connect hardwire to it thru POE but not sure how I change the settings in the AirOS software and then how I get it to be wireless.

Anyone have this setup?

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - May 30 2018 :  16:44:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did.

Basically what I did was set up two domains. Then I plugged the bullet into the internet connection of the netgear. The port forwarding was a bit tricky. I used that so I could browse the webcams on the boat.

To elaborate:

"My Bullet has a fixed IP address of 192.168.69.10 and it is a DHCP server. It port forwards to 192.168.69.11 which is the fixed IP address of my Netgear router. This router uses 192.168.69.10 as the DNS server, and is also a DHCP server but it serves at 192.168.70.* and the Bullet is plugged into the INTERNET port of the Netgear. I can access all of these either remotely from the condo over the internet or the boat locally attached to the Netgear where the webcam is."

http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=172704&whichpage=3

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - May 30 2018 :  16:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Set up the bullet first via ethernet, then set up the netgear (or linksys) and plug it into the bullet using the internet connection on the linksys. Access the internet through the linksys. If you use the above, from the linksys you should be able to access the bullet via 192.168.69.10 so you can logon on and do the site surveys so as to connect it to marina wifi.

Edited by - boatbum on May 30 2018 16:52:26

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - May 30 2018 :  19:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got it working.
Was tough but all good now.
Found a video online.
Thanks!

Bullet is just like a rogue only alot cheaper!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - May 30 2018 :  23:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If my new one fails I will keep this in mind!

Dave

ďTime you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.Ē Ė T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - May 31 2018 :  07:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought it on ebay for $58. My Rogue died, Walter is on like his third or fourth one.
At the price they charge it's not worth the fancy front end GUI they flash into it.
Basically the device is the same. Only difference is the way you access the technology.
With the amount of info you find on the internet, it is doable. Though I admit I spent all day and it was frustrating, but seems my issue was not the bullet but my router which was setup for Rogue.

You can get a Bullet, or a nanostation, or any radio product and a cheap router and make this work.
I used this video in the end to make the settings:

https://outsideourbubble.com/secure-private-rv-wi-fi-and-making-a-better-park-connection-for-under-100/

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - May 31 2018 :  08:21:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good video. That's basically what I did. Note that he left the gateway subnet alone at the default. As I said I chose different ones for both routers. He did not go over port forwarding and if I had mine still I'd outline it.
Essentially I purchased my own domain name at Dyndns. Then I plugged that into the ubiquity and had it port forward to the netgear, which did port forwarding to the ip cams. This way I could access the cams from anywhere and they were set up to motion detect. Some times they were set off by curtains when the boat was waked on the Rondout Creek. Of course the cams were turned off when we were aboard.
I am going to look into the gateway they sell to see if it has configuration options or if it does not need them because it is a gateway.

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - May 31 2018 :  09:01:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cameras I am gonna go with the Ring which just uses wifi to go to web. It's cheap and reliable.
Some use Nest.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - May 31 2018 :  09:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, on the boat I had cable in between the antenna and the bullet. The bullet was mounted under the arch inside the enclosure. If you folks are mounting the bullets outside, consider the method I chose. It could be weather is clobbering your routers. Mine ran for years installed with a short length of LMR-400 coax to the antenna.

Edited by - boatbum on May 31 2018 09:35:44

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - May 31 2018 :  09:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same setup. BillyIII designed it for me.
I have Comrod, short cable to inside my arch, Bullet, then cable down to router which is in the salon.
I don't think Weather is the issue, though I am sure salt air gets inside the arch.
I think issue is Rogue's lose their flashing and become bricks after that.
At $58, I would throw bullet away every year and get a new one! Rogue was like $300.
In fact, I may buy a spare bullet now.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - May 31 2018 :  09:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What WiFi network are you using?
My dock is about 3/4ís of a mile south of Montauk Highway and Iíd love to have a set up like you do so I could use WiFi cameras down there, but I donít know what WiFi network Iíd be able to get on to.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - May 31 2018 :  09:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, always ensure that the router you connect to the marina wifi with has the subnet changed from the default to something else. If you leave it at 192.168.1.1 you run the risk of ip address conflicts. You can use this subnet on the wifi distribution router but for one reason or another I changed it as well.

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - May 31 2018 :  11:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I changed the bullet but not the router.
That is still the same 192.168.1.1
I guess I will change it but its working right now!

JVM - So AYC has wifi, but the signal can be flaky inside the boat. This allows you to boost the signal and distribute it to a wireless router so any device can connect. If you have cablevision, then you may have optimum. First thing to do is go to boat and sit on boat and turn on your wifi and see what you see. If you see Optimum and you have access then you may be able to make this work. If you don't then your issue is what you said, you have no wifi signal to pull in or boost.

Dave

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - May 31 2018 :  12:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha! Leave it alone. Once you get more familiar with it all, go for it. But save your configurations either with screen prints or use the router back up capabilities.
And-
Now that you have the bullet, you have access to quite a bit of function. DO NOT enable them unless you know what you are doing. For example the SSH facility. I turned that on to play around with it. I think I was using "Putty" on the laptop. I left it on and within a couple of days I noticed the logs were filling up.
Hackers in East Europe were trying to guess the password with bots! However and again, ours was exposed on the net with a domain name and DDNS.

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - May 31 2018 :  13:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CurrentSea

I changed the bullet but not the router.
That is still the same 192.168.1.1
I guess I will change it but its working right now!

JVM - So AYC has wifi, but the signal can be flaky inside the boat. This allows you to boost the signal and distribute it to a wireless router so any device can connect. If you have cablevision, then you may have optimum. First thing to do is go to boat and sit on boat and turn on your wifi and see what you see. If you see Optimum and you have access then you may be able to make this work. If you don't then your issue is what you said, you have no wifi signal to pull in or boost.

Dave

Thanks! Guess Iím screwed until someone opens a Starbucks or something up on Montauk Highway.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - May 31 2018 :  15:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you can always add a cellular hotspot. Not sure if it will have the bandwidth.
There may be other options like an attenna.
Call Optimum and lease them your property for a antenna!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - May 31 2018 :  15:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you can always add a cellular hotspot. Not sure if it will have the bandwidth.
There may be other options like an attenna.
Call Optimum and lease them your property for a antenna!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - May 31 2018 :  15:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JVM,
If you have a Optimum account or have a friend that has one, you can use OPT WIFI. There is a OPT WIFI Repeater on the last pole (just before the entrance to the AYC) OPT wifi is no good for cameras, after a certain period of time, day or three days they boot you off their internet. You then need to log back on.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - May 31 2018 :  17:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Donít have an optimum account, Fios subscriber, but I do have an optimum password from a relatives account.
Not super impressed with their WiFi hotspots.
Iíve tried connecting to optimum from my dock, and there isnít anything nearby.
Itís all residential down there so itís unlikely theyíd be willing to mount anything on my property.
In the end, the cellular hotspot may be the way to go.
My cell service AT&T is often sketchy down there though, and usually unusable from inside the boat.
I may have to mount some sort of antenna for the cellular hotspot up on my utility pole to pull it in so I can reliably use a hotspot.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Billylll

RO# 24494

Posted - Apr 15 2019 :  18:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, the next time you or anyone does this there is a much simpler way. To connect the Ubiquiti Bullet or any high power outdoor unit for distribution/ rebroadcast simply plug the CAT5/6 into one of the router's switch ports meaning LAN 1-4. There's no need to use a router just a simple switch with WiFi. There's -0- set up for the below decks unit only the Bullet needs to be configured when changing shore based access points. By plugging the (Internet) source into a LAN port you bypass the router in the Linksys or any router. Or you could buy a simple LAN switch with an access point.
Bill

Bill Lentz
Little Egg, N.J.

Edited by - Billylll on Apr 15 2019 18:59:54

Homeport: Tuckerton, N.J. Go to Top of Page

cmariner32

RO# 7269

Posted - Apr 16 2019 :  00:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm an old fart and not edumicated in all this new tech. My marina WIFI requires logging on to a landing page and entering the marina password anytime I want to use their WIFI from my boat. Does that setup exclude me from being able to use their internet access from a remote site?

The only thing that works on an old boat.....is the Owner.

Homeport: Clearwater/St. Pete Florida Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Some Nautical Experience South Pacific Style Topic Next Topic: Pulling the triger on Nav stuff, just checking!!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.47 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com