BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 5 | Guests: 132 ]  [ Total: 137 ]  [ Newest Member: Bumpo64 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 New Jersey Boating
 NJ boating license
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Channel club Topic Next Topic: Seaside Park  

BOBD902313

RO# 6352

Posted - Jun 20 2018 :  13:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys
I have a question about the NJ boating license.
When I got mine, it was years ago and all I did was take a few classes, pass a little test, pay money and done.

Now, my significant other wants one but when I look, it mentions taking an online test, pass that, get the cert ,
then go take ANOTHER test in person and go thru it again.

Can someone explain what a new boater has to do to get a license? (not a jet ski)

Thanks all for the help

Homeport:

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Jun 20 2018 :  17:14:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are two things required in NJ. Every boater must take a State Certified Boating Safety Course. I don't know where you are but I am teaching one in Belleville this Saturday for the Coast Guard.It's an 8 hour class with a test at the end. You must score 80% to pass. That gets you your NJ Boating Safety Certificate on the spot which is good for life. It's good for power boats, sailboats and personal watercraft.

If you boat on non tidal waters like inland lakes (freshwater) you also need a Boating Endorsement on your Driver's license. You get that at MVC. Show them the Boating Safety Certificate and pay a small fee.

2006 Meridian 341 Sedan Bridge
Obsession

Newport Yacht Club, Jersey City, NJ

Flotilla Commander USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 42 1SR

Homeport: Jersey City, NJ Go to Top of Page

BOBD902313

RO# 6352

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  10:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael

What is this "on-line" coarse for 39.50?
then it says after you pass the online coarse you have 1 year to take the "in-person" coarse to complete the certification.

Is it a 2 step process now?

https://www.boat-ed.com/newjersey/

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

MichaelNJ

RO# 14778

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  14:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When NJ first enacted the requirement about 10 years ago, you were allowed to opt out of the course by just taking the test provided you had previous boating experience. That is no longer an option. In NJ, you have the option of taking the course online and then taking a proctored exam in person. I guess if you do it that way it's a two step process. You can get it all done in one full day if you just take the class and the exam immediately after. That's the way we do it. Don't take the online course unless you can find a place to take the exam. Without the exam, the course is worthless. I don't think that the $39.50 includes the cost of the exam.

2006 Meridian 341 Sedan Bridge
Obsession

Newport Yacht Club, Jersey City, NJ

Flotilla Commander USCG Auxiliary Flotilla 42 1SR

Homeport: Jersey City, NJ Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Channel club Topic Next Topic: Seaside Park  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.31 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com