BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 55 ]  [ Newest Member: bopper94 ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 LICC - Long Island Cruising Club
 Watch Hill
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Hemstock and Aquapalooza Topic Next Topic: Detailing price  

mintregila

RO# 13060

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  14:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going for July 4.

Is restaurant open for business?

Anyone else going?
Mark I -
06 Pursuit 3070 OS Exp
95 26' Wahoo CC - Sold
03 Blackfin/SaltShaker 29 Combi - Sold
05 290 Amberjack - Sold
90 Viking 38 - Sold
84 Trojan F36 - Sold

Homeport: Long Beach, NY/Pompano Beach, FL

signature27

RO# 31597

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  17:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, they are open, so far we have only had Lunch there and it was well prepared.. below is a link to the site, I would suggest you call, I don't see a link to their menu on their web site..
The staff has been excellent in all my dealings so far this season.. were happy that they are back..

https://www.lovefins.com/2018/06/23/new-whalehouse-point-special-this-weekend/

Chaparral Signature27 (sold)
310 SeaRay Sundancer Sandy Bottoms II

Homeport: Patchogue, NY Go to Top of Page

mintregila

RO# 13060

Posted - Jul 06 2018 :  12:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a great July 4 at WH visiting with Walter and Dave and families.

As far as WH is concerned, we had a power issue on day 1 which they resolved after a fashion but I didn't have the HWH on with the AC after that.

The new bulkheading and decks are nice but they could have put a few bucks more up to update the bathrooms. To have a facility like that with crummy bathrooms and showers is disappointing. The restaurant was open July 4 and the food for dinner was good as was the service.

Mark I -
06 Pursuit 3070 OS Exp
95 26' Wahoo CC - Sold
05 290 Amberjack - Sold
90 Viking 38 - Sold
84 Trojan F36 - Sold

Homeport: Long Beach, NY/Pompano Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Jul 06 2018 :  18:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good seeing you Mark. Itís getting there.
The dj on Wednesday was a nice touch.
I think it will come back to what it was.
Most of the regulars still show up.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

Danno

RO# 10045

Posted - Jul 08 2018 :  08:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the new dockwa reservation system are they still limited to a small % of reservations vs. 1st come as in the past?

Nic-Nac

Homeport: oceanside, NY Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Jul 08 2018 :  10:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just found the rates online. Then looked at a receipt from last year with the rates on it.
Looks like a high percentage increase in price this season.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on Jul 08 2018 10:21:19

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

dcwjd

RO# 26133

Posted - Jul 08 2018 :  11:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went up a dollar a foot to 3 bucks. Hopefully itís enough to keep people from leaving boats unattended before holidays.

2007 Sea Ray 48 Sundancer

Homeport: East Meadow, New York Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Jul 09 2018 :  15:46:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great seeing Mark and Pat

As mentioned in previous posts, the money allocated was strictly tagged (by the state) for the infrastructure Seawall, decking, electric etc. Bathrooms are gross, shame there was no update there. The new electric system is state of the art and meets all those new crazy NEC (National Electric Code) requirements. IMHO, "state of the art" is a problem waiting to happen. Very complicated system with a ton of electronics. Electronics in a salt water environment seems like a costly maintenance item going forward. I hope the new concessionaire, factors this in his bid. The restaurant was great, food was awesome, service was good and the pricing for what you got was fair. Doug, the new temporary concessionaire is working his tail off.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

dwarren

RO# 14233

Posted - Jul 10 2018 :  10:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity, how often are there actually open slips at WH? I haven't frequented too much but would like to shoot over in August sometime. Can I reserve a slip up front? Sorry for newbie questions.

Douglas Warren
"You never get sumthin' for nuthin'"

Homeport: ny Go to Top of Page

Devocean35

RO# 34004

Posted - Jul 10 2018 :  14:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Planning trip to Watch Hill, heard that there are significant power issues. Grounding issues with older boats popping breakers across several stanchions. Dock Master said they've experienced a few power issues but nothing to be concerned with.
Anyone have first hand experience at Watch Hill this season?

Homeport: Wantagh Park Go to Top of Page

HappyKamper

RO# 33487

Posted - Jul 10 2018 :  15:04:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at WH for 3 days with no problem or heard any complaints.

dcwjd

RO# 26133

Posted - Jul 10 2018 :  16:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes older boats which arenít grounded properly will trip the breaker on the stantion. We were there over July 4th and this repeatedly happened. Not a fault of the marina or electric system at all. Itís the boats themselves that are the issue.

2007 Sea Ray 48 Sundancer

Homeport: East Meadow, New York Go to Top of Page

interj

RO# 11531

Posted - Jul 10 2018 :  17:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent the week. They are definitely having power issues, or at least boats are having power issues. I was there with 5 boats. 2 had their watch hill adapter burn up. 1 had their hookup on their boat fry. All 3 were 2000+ sea rays. 2 of the boats were on B land, 1 was on C land.

The other boat had issues with their hot water heater tripping the main electrical panel, not the breaker at the dock but in the main system. Random boaters had access to the main panel throughout the week to reset the poles.

If you were on C Land or B land your would have heard of the power issues.

Edited by - interj on Jul 10 2018 17:16:36

Homeport: Sayville Go to Top of Page

Devocean35

RO# 34004

Posted - Jul 11 2018 :  11:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can deal with resetting breakers on the main panel, but concerned about frying adapters. Generally, I don't have power issues. However, plan to check and clean AC adapters and AC connections removing
any corrosion.

bmac

RO# 29428

Posted - Jul 12 2018 :  11:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've spent 11 nights at Watch Hill, all in D5, since Memorial Day weekend. I have experienced two electrical issues in that time. My first visit I plugged in to the receptacle and heard an arc. My boat was still on generator power so no current flow should occur. When I pulled the plug out there was a very small burn mark on one of the stabs. I looked and the stanchion breaker was on so I turned it off, cleaned the tip and plugged back in. No further problem, though the park service says not to turn the stanchion breakers on and off as they are not deigned for high cycle usage. My next visit, the stanchion was dead and the boat next to me in D6 was running its generator. Apparently he had a 1.5 Amp ground fault, which was resolved a few days later. I think the new breakers trip at 30 MILLI-Amps!!! The dock master reset the breaker in the main panel and all was well for the next 8 days. One improvement of the new system is that each stanchion has its own breaker in the main panel, so multiple stanchions don't go down on a single trip. I think most, if not all of the recurring electrical issues are related to individual boat electrical systems not the new system. I agree with Walter, Doug the new concessionaire is working his ass off. I'm curious where all the picnic benches disappeared to. At $3/ft ($192/night for me) I expect SOME amenities. Picnic tables behind each boat on D dock would be a start. The park service should be embarrassed by the bathrooms at Watch Hill.

Homeport: Blue Point, NY Go to Top of Page

Robski97

RO# 7334

Posted - Jul 12 2018 :  14:56:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long before the shoaling from the bulk head entrance is an issue ??

Was the park rangers station RENOVATED ?

Rob

2006 44 Sundancer

Homeport: Merrick, NY Go to Top of Page

mintregila

RO# 13060

Posted - Jul 12 2018 :  15:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in C13. No problem when I was just running my AC and the coffee pot. I put on the Hot Water heater and was not drawing more than 15 mps on my panel. Went to visit Walter and it was tripped when I returned. The manager was insisting there was power at the pole and the problem was on my boat until Dave brought over an LED to prove it was dead. The concessionaire came by and showed him it is on a spare, not where it should be in the panel. I left the HWH off and did not have any more issues.

I see the guy is working hard but I think the deck is stacked against him. Since he has a short term contract, no improvements will be made and he is still in a learning curve.

Mark I -
06 Pursuit 3070 OS Exp
95 26' Wahoo CC - Sold
05 290 Amberjack - Sold
90 Viking 38 - Sold
84 Trojan F36 - Sold

Homeport: Long Beach, NY/Pompano Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Jul 12 2018 :  20:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it may be more trouble than itís worth........

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Priceless

RO# 28877

Posted - Jul 15 2018 :  11:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were docked in C-31 -- Three days with no electrical faults -- Numerous boats on C/D Pier DID have many electrical issues --

Paul
330 Carver Mariner

Homeport: Copiague Harbor Go to Top of Page

funinthesun

RO# 15721

Posted - Jul 18 2018 :  23:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How have the mosquitoes been at Watch Hill? We used to go all the time but they had gotten so bad we gave up.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Homeport: Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

walterv

RO# 12640

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  11:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was there Memorial Day and the 4th July, mosquitoes were light to none, but both days were windy.

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

HappyKamper

RO# 33487

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  13:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I understand the electric is performing as designed. Anybody having issues needs to look
into the wiring on their own boat. After some boats having issues they discovered faulty wiring on their own boats.
I have a formula and my friend has a Regal. On these boats you must turn off or disconnect your
galvanic isolator in order not to trip the GFI.

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  15:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HappyKamper

From what I understand the electric is performing as designed. Anybody having issues needs to look
into the wiring on their own boat. After some boats having issues they discovered faulty wiring on their own boats.
I have a formula and my friend has a Regal. On these boats you must turn off or disconnect your
galvanic isolator in order not to trip the GFI.

WTF? Are they serious?
That would be a huge PIA in my boat since I have to remove my electric panel to get to them. The same was true on my last boat. I suspect theyíre fairly well hidden on most boats. Plus, disconnecting or bypassing it would leave me susceptible to low levels of stray current entering the boat from the dock pedestal.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on Jul 19 2018 19:42:49

Devocean35

RO# 34004

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  15:30:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't make sense to disconnect galvanic isolator. I don't understand how a functioning galvanic isolator would trip the GFI.

If the boat has a bad AC ground with/or without a galvanic isolator a GFI will trip.

interj

RO# 11531

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  16:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are 2 of the adapters.

What would cause this?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/IOpjGEzzpat6dyuwqZVqdarYb9wKoH8P0oVC3a14n2m/gallery/3XW6ak5RQuKWXY-SUzkw5g

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/vIM4xQQqxUh9RNJDHHDz2oKw0jr149kzIeOT1wycncQ

Sorry for the links - embedding does not seem to be working.

Homeport: Sayville Go to Top of Page

HappyKamper

RO# 33487

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  18:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as the picnic benches. The nice ones belonged to the previous concessionaire. He currently has the
contract for Davis. He brought most of them there. If Doug gets the 10 year bid he said he would invest in new benches.

Robski97

RO# 7334

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  08:10:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty much any boat magazine has stories on the new electrical systems being installed in marinas. Sadly its our boats ****ty wiring that's mostly at fault . Boats are only now being updated to new electrical codes. ITs across all boat lines from the stories ive read.

Rob

2006 44 Sundancer

Homeport: Merrick, NY Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  11:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I smell opportunity!
Think about it.
The marina just wants to see something that they connect too that is clean.
So there has to be a device that you can put between your power cord and boat which will allow you to get consistent clean power without disrupting the boat power or tripping the GFI.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  12:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interj

Here are 2 of the adapters.

What would cause this?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/IOpjGEzzpat6dyuwqZVqdarYb9wKoH8P0oVC3a14n2m/gallery/3XW6ak5RQuKWXY-SUzkw5g

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/vIM4xQQqxUh9RNJDHHDz2oKw0jr149kzIeOT1wycncQ

Sorry for the links - embedding does not seem to be working.

That looks like arcing from a poor connection.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Devocean35

RO# 34004

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  14:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most likely some corrosion in the 30amp plug or the 50amp adapter that caused an arch. Spray some contact cleaner in the plug and then WD40. Did you use your own 50Amp adapter or rent one? If I recall, the 50amp rentals are not really maintained.

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Jul 20 2018 :  16:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldnít use that cord again until I cut it back past the burnt wire and put a new end on it. Job is easy, the new end isnít so cheap though. Sometimes youíre better off just getting a new cord when itís on sale.

95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on Jul 21 2018 16:18:22

Previous Topic: Hemstock and Aquapalooza Topic Next Topic: Detailing price  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.45 seconds to load