BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 8 | Guests: 125 ]  [ Total: 133 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Buying a boat that has sat for a while
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Crusader 7.4 MPI Topic Next Topic: Bennett v351 leak from hpu. Help diagnose please!  

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  10:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sold my 2000 Monterey 302 in April for 30% more than I paid for it 1 year prior. My thought was to start a search for the next boat. Well, the next boat is way too expensive. The market is crazy right now, overpriced IMHO. So, I found a 2005 Monterey 302 at my marina and left a note asking the owner to call me if they want to sell. 2 weeks later the owner called. I loved mine, just wanted something a little bigger.

Boat history: Bought new at the marina in 2005, used one season, owner went to Iraq for almost 10 years. Boat was shrink wrapped and stored on land. Shrink wrap eventually tore off so the boat has been exposed to sun/rain/elements for the past 4-5 years. Cockpit canvas was not on, Bimini canvas was.

2nd owner bought the boat. 40 hours on twin Merc 5.0s, Bravo III outdrives, 9 hours on Kohler genny.

Parts were missing including many genny parts and the cabin refrigerator. The genny has been rebuilt and runs great. Cabin refrig has been replaced with a new one. Outdrives were completely serviced. Fuel pumps and injectors have been replaced. Bottom was bottom painted. Hull was detailed. Boats been in the water for 6 months. Current owner has used it once and has realized he never should have bought it.

I inspected the boat including a sea trial. Aft cabin mattress was very damp. Mold/Mildew odor in the cabin. I asked the owner to address this. Marina shop looked at this and suggested running the AC full time, added Dehumidifier Buckets, and replaced the seal in the aft cabin window/port. This seems to have resolved the issue.

All helm gauges have moisture in them, but function. Exterior upholstery is yellow stained, my guess is from sun/rain. I think I can clean these up.

I paid the shop to sea trial and go thru the mechanicals. Using computer on the engines they hit 4800 WOT, 175 temp, 14.5 volt, 50 oil pressure. Engine compression is 170-175 on all cylinders on both engines. Genny checked out except it may need a new water pump. Outdrives shift very smooth, trim tabs work well. Everything else checks out.

The boat is dirty, needs a good cleaning. The cabin still has a musty odor. I think I can take care of this with an Ozone generator.

I looked at a similar one a few weeks ago that was in pristine condition, it literally looked brand new. Itís listed for $45K thru a broker. The owner of the one I am looking at is asking $28k. He paid $33K in February.

I figure worst case I buy the boat, clean it up, use if for a while, and can decide if I want to sell it, maybe for $35K to $45K and perhaps make a profit. The cost to repair/replace what I mentioned above is about $2k.

Thoughts? Impressions? Anything I am missing in my inspection, survey assessment? I do plan to get oil samples.

Thanks

Formerly "MrsRobinson" on here
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold
1995 Sea Ray 330DA - sold
2004 Maxum 2400 SCR - sold
1996 Maxum 1900 SCR - sold

Homeport: Stafford, VA

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  10:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You seem to have covered the bases well. IMO you will never get the mattress odor free. Just get a new one. That is true of most soft goods.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  10:53:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

IMO you will never get the mattress odor free. Just get a new one. That is true of most soft goods.

Thanks Bruce, I was thinking the same. The carpet under the mattress was wet as well. It's odor free in the aft cabin now, surprisingly. I'm impressed it's actually a spring mattress and not just some foam cushion one.

Is this a special marine mattress, or is it one I can buy at a mattress store?

Just heard from the owner/seller. Genny guy thinks it's the water pump (it's making a rattling noise under power, probably bad bearings). Pump will be replaced this week.

2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

Homeport: Stafford, VA Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  11:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some standard sizes

https://www.us-mattress.com/mattress-size-information.html

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  09:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The genny needs a new bearing, something to do with the camshaft and rotor. Genny mechanic states he has seen this 6 times in 20 years, always on a boat that has sat for a long time. $1500 to replace, most of the cost is labor. Seller agreed to pay for this.

2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

easttnboater

RO# 23415

Posted - Aug 30 2018 :  08:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you have done your due diligence. Buy it and use it. At that price point, if something better comes along, you should be able to sell this one easily.

Homeport: Johnson City, TN Go to Top of Page

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Aug 30 2018 :  21:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the replies, I'm getting a survey next Wednesday, hopefully it goes well.

2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Aug 31 2018 :  00:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might keep in mind , ozone generators (at least the commercial ones the boatyards use), can kill mildwew & mold and neutralize odors but they are also strong oxidizers which can accelerate wiring & other corrosion and "age" rubber parts and possibly upholstery adhesives. And cause dirt/dust particles in the air to cling to nearby surfaces.

Not good for people or pets to be in an enclosed space with them either, ozone is toxic. Ventilate well after use.

I doubt the old little Sharper Image -type O3-generators would have much affect on boat mildew.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

pstew96

RO# 12527

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  11:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a 2004 Maxum 4 years ago, it had 60 hours on it, probably because it sat for a long time is why I ended up replacing the engine and outdrive around 100 hours. It didn't go right away which is weird. Just saying......

Homeport: Babylon,NY Go to Top of Page

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  16:40:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy

You might keep in mind , ozone generators (at least the commercial ones the boatyards use), can kill mildwew & mold and neutralize odors but they are also strong oxidizers which can accelerate wiring & other corrosion and "age" rubber parts and possibly upholstery adhesives. And cause dirt/dust particles in the air to cling to nearby surfaces.

Not good for people or pets to be in an enclosed space with them either, ozone is toxic. Ventilate well after use.

I doubt the old little Sharper Image -type O3-generators would have much affect on boat mildew.

I bought this one: Enerzen Commercial Ozone Generator 6,000mg Industrial O3 Air Purifier Deodorizer Sterilizer (6,000mg - Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JAP7388/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_Nk4xGBw9jzHMr

I plan to run it for 15 to 20 minutes

2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Sep 04 2018 :  16:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Survey went well, a few minor things. Shower sump pump is tripping breaker, head system, though working, continues to stay on. I've had same issues on prior boats. Surveyor overall was impressed with the boat and how well it ran.

2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold

Previous Topic: Crusader 7.4 MPI Topic Next Topic: Bennett v351 leak from hpu. Help diagnose please!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com