BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password


Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 10 | Guests: 133 ]  [ Total: 143 ]  [ Newest Member: Farm ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 LICC - Long Island Cruising Club
 Propeller Reconditioning
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Dolphins Hemlock cove Topic Next Topic: Im back!!!  

BillyK

RO# 24466



Posted - Sep 12 2018 :  13:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't find the thread that was up here a few months ago, but I need a couple of props repaired. I used to use Larry Johnson, but I'm in Patchogue now and there were a couple of shops out here that people recomended. Bossler and Sweezey was a name given to me by a smaller boater. These props I have are off a 45' Chris Craft.
Thanks for any info.

Billy K.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Edited by - BillyK on Sep 12 2018 13:36:53

Homeport: Patchogue, N.Y.

abalmuth

RO# 13885



Posted - Sep 12 2018 :  13:55:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My prop guy is S & S near Citi field, so it's a drive for you(as well as me) that being said I think their worth the ride.
I have heard of Bossler & Sweezey but have no personal experience with them


Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842



Posted - Sep 12 2018 :  17:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO only a propscan shop will do.

Bruce



Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885



Posted - Sep 12 2018 :  18:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

IMO only a propscan shop will do.

Bruce
doesnt look like they have shops in NY
http://www.props.com.au/propeller_shops/usa/state.htm


Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Sep 12 2018 :  19:54:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like there is a shop in Stamford. That’s not a crazy ride for a winter project. Might be worth it if it really makes that much of a difference, but I can’t access their website.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO


Edited by - JVM225 on Sep 12 2018 19:56:04

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

BillyK

RO# 24466



Posted - Sep 12 2018 :  20:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

One barnacle and the scan is useless. I'm looking for a local guy that can get it back to me in a couple of weeks.

Thanks


"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Homeport: Patchogue, N.Y. Go to Top of Page

bmac

RO# 29428

Posted - Sep 12 2018 :  22:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also use S&S. For larger, more complex props, Bossler is not the right shop. S&S will come to the boat and remove and reinstall your props. I’ve had mine under Prop Scan by Blackdog in MD, S&S gave me better results. The shop in CT is no longer performing propscan work iirc.


Homeport: Blue Point, NY Go to Top of Page

mintregila

RO# 13060

Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  06:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
S&S for anything big. Larry Johnson (JR now) for smaller jobs.

Mark I -
06 Pursuit 3070 OS Exp
95 26' Wahoo CC - Sold
03 Blackfin/SaltShaker 29 Combi - Sold
05 290 Amberjack - Sold
90 Viking 38 - Sold
84 Trojan F36 - Sold

Homeport: Long Beach, NY/Pompano Beach, FL Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265



Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  07:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used Mark's Props.
516-644-6449

I have smaller props, 14 blades on 2 props per pod.
He takes them off, puts them on.

Looked at others but they all wanted me to take off and deliver and I don't have the tools to get them off!






2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

BillyK

RO# 24466



Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  08:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My boat is not performance orientated at 15 knots and I'm pulling my boat out at the end of the month. I'm going to take a ride by Bossler and Sweezey later today. I'll report back with results. Thanks for your input, I always appreciate it.

Billy K.


"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Homeport: Patchogue, N.Y. Go to Top of Page

smitty477

RO# 31913



Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  09:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BillyK


My boat is not performance orientated at 15 knots and I'm pulling my boat out at the end of the month. I'm going to take a ride by Bossler and Sweezey later today. I'll report back with results. Thanks for your input, I always appreciate it.

Billy K.




We have had great results utilizing B&S for many props between 21-24" of diameter when slightly re-pitching & balancing - mostly 4 blade Nibrals. They use a Hale system which was able to get our props with S1 specs and really help efficiency and balance even at 15 knots.
The reports help later on if you need to tidy up a prop or have rpm issues along the way. Now is the time to tell B&S about any lacking in WOT and problems detected between pt and stb rpm so that they can help correct them.



Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  09:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looked at the S&S website. Not much info there. I wouldn’t mind giving them a try, and it isn’t a long ride for me. Probably about the same distance as Bossler & Sweezey.
Bossler & Sweezey seemed to do a good job on the 15” Stainless props from my old boat but I’m open to trying someplace new.
I’d like to have some more info about the different systems that different shops use somImcan make a choice.
I liked the explanation about “propscan” on their website. Too bad that the closest shop is all the way up in Rhode Island.
Current boat has 22” Nibral props turned by Cat diesels.


2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO


Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

smitty477

RO# 31913



Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  10:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JVM225

Looked at the S&S website. Not much info there. I wouldn’t mind giving them a try, and it isn’t a long ride for me. Probably about the same distance as Bossler & Sweezey.
Bossler & Sweezey seemed to do a good job on the 15” Stainless props from my old boat but I’m open to trying someplace new.
I’d like to have some more info about the different systems that different shops use somImcan make a choice.
I liked the explanation about “propscan” on their website. Too bad that the closest shop is all the way up in Rhode Island.
Current boat has 22” Nibral props turned by Cat diesels.



There are plenty of hits if you google Hale vs Propscan, here is one company that has both...
http://www.accutechmarine.com/?cs=company

I have had props scanned by both systems and see no difference - the shop doing the work is what gets the props done correctly.



Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842



Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  11:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had props dome my a normal shop. then later had them done again by a scan shop because i wasn't satisfied. Picked up about two knots at same RPM. Your choice.

Bruce



Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

CaptCrunch

RO# 32171



Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  13:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bossier did works on my Hatteras props, Tom the owner is great

Hatteras 38c. PhishStix
Past
25 Chris Craft Crowne Totalled Hurricane Sandy
2000 Donzi Z32 SS - Sold

Homeport: Bellmore, NY Go to Top of Page

smitty477

RO# 31913



Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  14:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pdecat

I had props dome my a normal shop. then later had them done again by a scan shop because i wasn't satisfied. Picked up about two knots at same RPM. Your choice.



I had a similar experience many years back - Hale MRI would be a scan shop just like Propscan.



Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - Sep 13 2018 :  18:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smitty477

quote:
Originally posted by JVM225

Looked at the S&S website. Not much info there. I wouldn’t mind giving them a try, and it isn’t a long ride for me. Probably about the same distance as Bossler & Sweezey.
Bossler & Sweezey seemed to do a good job on the 15” Stainless props from my old boat but I’m open to trying someplace new.
I’d like to have some more info about the different systems that different shops use somImcan make a choice.
I liked the explanation about “propscan” on their website. Too bad that the closest shop is all the way up in Rhode Island.
Current boat has 22” Nibral props turned by Cat diesels.



There are plenty of hits if you google Hale vs Propscan, here is one company that has both...
http://www.accutechmarine.com/?cs=company

I have had props scanned by both systems and see no difference - the shop doing the work is what gets the props done correctly.




Thanks for the link! Interesting. Hale vs Propscan sounds like it may be a Ginger or Maryann type question.
Even more interesting is that Hale Propeller (they invented Hale M.R.I.) is in Old Saybrook Ct..
Might be worth a drive up early one winter morning and a relaxing ferry ride back from New London.
Bought my boat in December of 2016 from MarineMax in Westbrook and since they included winter storage, I made that trip many times over that winter to visit and play with my new toy while anxiously waiting for April to come so I could run her home.


2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO


Edited by - JVM225 on Sep 13 2018 18:28:36

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

Joeshoes

RO# 1967

Posted - Sep 18 2018 :  09:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used Bossler & Sweeney in the past and found that they did excellent work. As far as price I got what I paid for.

All Very Satisfactory.


To learn who rules you, simply find out whom you are not allowed to criticize. Voltaire

Homeport: Manhasset, NY Go to Top of Page

Joeshoes

RO# 1967

Posted - Sep 18 2018 :  09:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used Bossler & Sweeney in the past and found that they did excellent work. As far as price I got what I paid for.

All Very Satisfactory.


To learn who rules you, simply find out whom you are not allowed to criticize. Voltaire

Homeport: Manhasset, NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Dolphins Hemlock cove Topic Next Topic: Im back!!!  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

    

Boatered.com