BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 52 ]  [ Total: 55 ]  [ Newest Member: bopper94 ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 starb engine wont start (2007 Bayliner 325)
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rochester Quadrajet Rebuild Video Topic Next Topic: Lewmar Bow thruster energizing by itself  

griff4

RO# 33534

Posted - Oct 08 2018 :  08:59:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a strange sound coming from the starb engine on starting. also noticed the starb starting battery had become pretty low on electrolite. On sea trial, meter showed excessive charging rate. Changed the battery with new then tried to start. This engine is a sb 350 carbed. No alarm, no start, no nothing! I suspect the starter and or the 90 amp fuse are NG. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Bruce.
Bayliner 325

Homeport: FL, Gulfcoast

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - Oct 08 2018 :  09:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No alarm when you turn the key on means no power to it. That is not the starter but some open connection. Turn on the key and use a test light or volt meter sand start at the battery and keep testing for voltage all along the circuit to the key and starter. Dont assume the new battery is good test it at its terminals then the cables as you are looking for a bad connection somewhere. test the fuse the same way.

describe the strange sound.

Bruce

Edited by - pdecat on Oct 08 2018 09:10:05

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

Cam

RO# 1558

Posted - Oct 08 2018 :  09:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First thing I would do before anything else is to check all electrical connections from the battery. More often than not, there is corrosion keeping the battery from getting a proper charge or not starting at all.

" If you think nobody cares, try missing a few payments " (author unknown)

Homeport: Bentley Yacht Club- Staten Island, NY Go to Top of Page

griff4

RO# 33534

Posted - Oct 08 2018 :  16:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The strange sound was like the starter and flywheel teeth clashing when releasing the key after startup. I checked and found 12 volts at the large red power line that feeds the starter. Also found the 90 amp fuse assembly that attaches to the starter solenoid to be visibly burnt. I ordered a starter and a 90 amp fuse today. What would cause the unusually high voltage at the instrument volt gauge just prior to the 90 amp fuse burning? Typically, at 3500 rpm my volt gauge reads 11 1/2 volts. Last time the gauge was reading 16 or so volts at 3500 rpm. Both engines are bone stock since new 10 years ago.

Bayliner 325

Homeport: FL, Gulfcoast Go to Top of Page

griff4

RO# 33534

Posted - Oct 10 2018 :  09:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also ordered a new alternator today.

Bayliner 325

Homeport: FL, Gulfcoast Go to Top of Page

cmariner32

RO# 7269

Posted - Oct 10 2018 :  23:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I thought it sucked to be me-welcome to my club!!!!!!!

The only thing that works on an old boat.....is the Owner.

Homeport: Clearwater/St. Pete Florida Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Oct 12 2018 :  15:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
voltage regulator thinks the batt is low, probably from bad connection, so it's sending a full charging rate to the batt.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Rochester Quadrajet Rebuild Video Topic Next Topic: Lewmar Bow thruster energizing by itself  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.34 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com