BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 192 ]  [ Total: 195 ]  [ Newest Member: Jim_In_Calif ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 Silverton Owners
 1988 Silverton 454 ignition problem
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Silverton 45 Convertible D9 or D12 Topic Next Topic: 2006 Silverton 45C Volvo D9 500 HP engines  

tcarriere

RO# 34076

Posted - Dec 26 2018 :  21:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starboard would not engage solenoid to starter unless moving mechanical shift around. Then, not working at all. Hot wired the neutral safety switch on the tranny and no luck. Ignition switch replaced middle of summer. hot wired the starter and the solenoid jumped forward fine but not all when using ignition key. When jumping starter solenoid moved forward but would not turn starter gear on fly wheel. not sure why not. I think i have to work back to switches and regulator near starter. Any other ideas? 50 amp breaker was already removed and hot wired by prior owner.
Clueless

Homeport: PA

tcarriere

RO# 34076

Posted - Dec 26 2018 :  21:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also note that turning key will turn on the engine oil buzzer but not engage solenoid or starter (aka no noise at all).

Clueless

Homeport: PA Go to Top of Page

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Dec 26 2018 :  21:40:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would start by cleaning all of the connections you can get to. Starter, solenoid ignition switch, battery... Easy stuff first.
Jim

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake Go to Top of Page

tcarriere

RO# 34076

Posted - Dec 28 2018 :  11:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jim. The connections were corroded on the small regulators above the starters. Not sure what these are called. I was afraid of breaking these and the screws were clogged. I stumbled into a online parts picture of the 454 transmission with the neutral safety switch and I actually bypassed the temperature switch that is near the neutral safety switch. I need to bring a better light and different position looking down on the engine. I cannot fit behind starboard engine like I could the port side. I will have more cables and cleaning tools the next time I visit on Jan 5th. I also did not jump start the starter the correct way. I confused my method with how I jump started the port side on the bench with a portable battery jumper.

Clueless

Homeport: PA Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Silverton 45 Convertible D9 or D12 Topic Next Topic: 2006 Silverton 45C Volvo D9 500 HP engines  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com