BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 3 | Guests: 212 ]  [ Total: 215 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Stripping Bottom Paint
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: oopsey Topic Next Topic: SeaBubbles Hydrofoil  

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Feb 04 2019 :  09:20:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to add some scuff protection tape to the bow of our SR so I need to first completely remove bottom paint from the area. So, what's the best method to remove old ablative paint without removing or badly impacting the gel coat? Paint remover? Acetone? Or will it require sanding (which I would really like to avoid)?
TIA.
Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD

alk

RO# 5508

Posted - Feb 04 2019 :  09:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
depends. if they put it on properly - in other words sanded the gel coat to scuff it up before applying -- you aren't getting it off without sanding, or perhaps soda blasting. At least I never could. If they painted right over smooth & waxy gelcoat, chemicals may do the trick. Are there any spots on the hull where the bottom paint wore away, and you see original hull color? That's usually a good tell.

People swear by the peel-away and aqua strip type products. But they've never worked for me. mek, acetone, all the nasty stuff works much better.

Homeport: PA Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 04 2019 :  12:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are committed to installing the scuff tape, which is a small area I presume, try the chemicals. Failing that, an electric multi purpose with a sanding pad, use a light touch at the point of the bow.

But is it really worth it? do you beach it that often?

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Feb 04 2019 :  16:23:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To answer your questions,
alk, yes, there are areas where the old ablative has worn enough that I can see the original gelcoat.
BB, beaching is not a concern. I put the boat on a Jet Dock so its the point where the bow initially rides up on the dock that takes a beating.
So, chemical stripper first and we'll see how that does. I start with acetone and see if I need something more aggressive.
Thanks guys!

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Feb 04 2019 :  16:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am thinking you should use tape to outline the area. Maybe a couple of layers.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

easttnboater

RO# 23415

Posted - Feb 05 2019 :  08:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also used smooth bedliner in a spray can to create the "scuff barrier".

Outline the area where you want the scuff protection with tape. Sand/scuff the existing paint and spray several coats of smooth bedliner on the area.

Homeport: Johnson City, TN Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Feb 05 2019 :  10:19:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt that acetone will get it off. I'd go right to one of the chemical strippers designed to do this.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Feb 12 2019 :  13:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Promise me you won't laugh re my method to remove bottom paint right down to gel coat. I've used a 2 1/2" wide wood chisel. Just stay away from any curved points to prevent the edge of the chisel gouging fiberglass & gel coat. Try a small section & see if it works for you. If not go the other routes suggested.

BOB J

Bob J

Homeport: Waretown, NJ Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Feb 16 2019 :  10:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bob. I'm not laughing but I feel like you need a surgeon's touch to prevent damaging the gelcoat. My hands are not a surgeon's or a pianist's hands. In fact, when I was in China the kid's in my apartment complex told me I had "hand like Shrek".

Mike

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Feb 16 2019 :  13:35:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, not at all! Once you get down to the gel coat; the paint just peels off like using a razor to remove a label off a window or mirror. I'm telling you it works sooo well. Wayback when; I did my 28' Luhrs in 1 weekend.
BOB J

Bob J

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Feb 17 2019 :  09:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wood chisel works for me--#128512;

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  16:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK. I'll try the wood chisel method! Hopefully it works but I must admit that I am skeptical, primarily because its an ablative paint. Hey, but what the hell do I know?? :-)

Mike

Bob J

RO# 181

Posted - Feb 18 2019 :  19:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing ventured; Nothing gained ! We'll wait for your thanks & appreciate comments !

BOB J

Bob J

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Feb 24 2019 :  21:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, since it will be a while before I get to it I say now, thanks, and I do appreciate all the input and suggestions.
(But I did say TIA in the OP)

Mike

Edited by - MikeeH on Feb 24 2019 21:03:48

Previous Topic: oopsey Topic Next Topic: SeaBubbles Hydrofoil  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.41 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com