BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 2 | Guests: 197 ]  [ Total: 199 ]  [ Newest Member: Jim_In_Calif ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Steering issue
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Replace or reinstall starters and alternators Topic Next Topic: Broken Cavitation Plate - Yamaha Outboard  

32carv

RO# 24150

Posted - Mar 17 2019 :  15:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 2006 Monterey 298SS with twin Volvo motors and outdrives. When I bought it a couple of years ago, the steering felt “jerky”. The wheel did not feel smooth when I turned at slow speeds. Most concerning was the fact I couldn’t turn it all with the motor with power steering pump off. Not a problem usually but if I lose that motor some reason, I can’t get home on the other motor.

Near the end of last year we replaced the cable and the helm. Most of the “jerky” feeling went away but it still won’t steer without the power steering. Any ideas what to look at next?

Homeport: Sacandaga Lake

jtybt15

RO# 3300

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  14:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First thought, there was air in the power steering system or leak at one of the fittings.

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Homeport: Ca Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Replace or reinstall starters and alternators Topic Next Topic: Broken Cavitation Plate - Yamaha Outboard  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com