BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 207 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: Tolly34ss ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Gear Oil Question
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: If I take my Merc 150 to a service place will they Topic Next Topic: Cruisair  

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Mar 19 2019 :  16:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our SR has an Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive with a remote reservoir for the gear oil. Never had a remote reservoir before. I drained the oil to do some routine maintenance. Do I refill the traditional way, from the bottom of the leg or fill the reservoir or both?? Thanks!
Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Homeport: Still Pond, MD

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Mar 19 2019 :  18:24:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fill from the bottom until there is about an inch in reservoir, then top off reservoir.

Steve
"L'Chiam" 29' 2000 Regal Commodore 2660 (2765) T/4.3 Alphas

Homeport: Michigan City/South Bend, IN Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  09:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Do I still need to have the upper oil outlet on the drive open while filling from the bottom? It would seem not but WTH do I know ? The drive should be fine. I just did a water pump rebuild and bearing seal replacement as PM. Guess I need a couple more quarts of gear oil.

Mike

I recently realized that at this stage of my life I'm now wise enough to know better, but old enough not to give a damn.

Edited by - MikeeH on Mar 20 2019 12:43:39

Homeport: Still Pond, MD Go to Top of Page

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  15:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeeH

Thanks. Do I still need to have the upper oil outlet on the drive open while filling from the bottom? It would seem not but WTH do I know ? The drive should be fine. I just did a water pump rebuild and bearing seal replacement as PM. Guess I need a couple more quarts of gear oil.

No, lube will travel past the upper hole and on to reservoir.

Steve
"L'Chiam" 29' 2000 Regal Commodore 2660 (2765) T/4.3 Alphas

Homeport: Michigan City/South Bend, IN Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Mar 20 2019 :  20:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, thank you!

Mike

easttnboater

RO# 23415

Posted - Mar 21 2019 :  08:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously check the reservoir after running it a bit, there could be some air trapped in the system that will work itself out.

Homeport: Johnson City, TN Go to Top of Page

BillK

RO# 775

Posted - Mar 21 2019 :  11:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fill my Alpha Gen 2 like this:

1. Remove the lower drain plug and the upper vent plug.
2. Pump lube into the lower drain hole like you normally would.
3. Watch the vent hole, you can see when oil reaches it.
4 Put the vent plug back in.
5. Continue pumping until the lube reaches the monitor bottle.
6. Top off the bottle.

Always replace the washers on the vent and drain plug.

Mine will usually burp out a little the first hour or so of running and I will top it off again.

Homeport: Lake Norman, NC Go to Top of Page

MikeeH

RO# 6342

Posted - Mar 22 2019 :  17:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again! Picked up 2 more quarts of gear lube today. I'll follow your instructions!!

Mike

Previous Topic: If I take my Merc 150 to a service place will they Topic Next Topic: Cruisair  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com