BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 191 ]  [ Total: 192 ]  [ Newest Member: Tolly34ss ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Portable Underwater scuba tanks
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pulling the triger on Nav stuff, just checking!! Topic Next Topic: Older GPS Rollover 6/4/19  

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  11:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe there may have been a recent topic on this but could not find. Looking for a system that allows me to go down under boat to inspect. No interest in going deep. I have seen adds with a mini tank and mouth piece that lasts about 10 minutes and you can refill with a hand pump but looking for suggestions. Thanks.
-------------------------
2006 52 Searay Sedan Bridge

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY

Brian N

RO# 3970

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  12:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not get a Brownie's Third Lung?

Homeport: Somewhere in the woods, NH Go to Top of Page

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  12:46:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian N

Why not get a Brownie's Third Lung?

They appear to be about $2,500 and what I was looking at was about $250.

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

Brian N

RO# 3970

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  12:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point...

Homeport: Somewhere in the woods, NH Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  14:15:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't James Bond use one of those?

Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  15:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you’re looking for a Spare Air. I would recommend considering a pony bottle and regulator instead.

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  16:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by November Charlie

Sounds like you’re looking for a Spare Air. I would recommend considering a pony bottle and regulator instead.

I looked at that briefly but what I liked about the other option is you can refill with a hand pump. Can you do that with a pony bottle?

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  17:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anchor Management

quote:
Originally posted by November Charlie

I looked at that briefly but what I liked about the other option is you can refill with a hand pump. Can you do that with a pony bottle?

Just learn to hold your breath

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  17:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely not.

HappyKamper

RO# 33487

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  18:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pony bottle is a good way to go, but you need to be certified to refill. The refillable Spare Air tank does not give
alot of down time. A lot less then you would think. I would guess 2 minutes?

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

getakey

RO# 32379

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  18:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from their site:
*Refilling a Spare Air to capacity using a hand pump is extremely strenuous and time consuming.

Homeport: CA Go to Top of Page

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  19:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the Spare air site, their offerings hold 1.7 to 6 Cu ft.

Though you can get many sizes, a pony bottle will often hold 40 cu ft, a "standard" scuba bottle 80 cu ft and a "large" around 132 cu ft.

ie: a pony holds about 10 times more air than a Spare Air. And a "standard" bottle holds about 20 times more. A quick "back-of-the-napkin" calculation can give you the useful time.

I see it as "not much". I'd choose a pony bottle...

If you are going to "bring the air with you" you might as well get one sized large enough to clear a line from the prop.

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

getakey

RO# 32379

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  19:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Model 300
3.0 cu ft
Surface Breaths: 57

or in other words, not very long

Edited by - getakey on Mar 27 2019 19:45:03

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  20:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Radioactive

According to the Spare air site, their offerings hold 1.7 to 6 Cu ft.

I see it as "not much". I'd choose a pony bottle...

If you are going to "bring the air with you" you might as well get one sized large enough to clear a line from the prop.

This is the essence of what I was too lazy to tap out on an iPhone.

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  20:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hell, even a paintball air tank! Don’t remember offhand the capacity, but I’ve known guys that have made ponies out of them. Need a valve, first, and second stage, and someone with a compressor that can push CLEAN air to 3400 and not ask many questions, but they looked to me like solid setups. (I’m also one of those guys that sees 3442 as an “expect at least that” fill, not a “do not exceed” fill.

ETA: I expect at least 3442 when it cools, not at the end of a hot fill! That last stack in the cascade is for after my fill cools down!

Edited by - November Charlie on Mar 27 2019 20:16:37

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  20:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My boat is only 27', so 2 or 3 times a 6 mo. NE season I just use a mask and fins to go down and brush the whole bottom and inspect/ replace the 6 U/W anodes( Ah... not on 1 breath. I used to replace the bearings and anodes on the SPURS cutters when I used them , with same equipment. I have plenty of full dive gear but never really felt it was worth gearing up for that. You have a larger boat so you might feel the need for air supply.

I haven't used it but I also have what I think is a 50' ( maybe less?) hookah hose to connect between 1st stage on the tank and 2nd stage at the other end of the hose, so if I want I can leave the regular 80 cu ft. tank on the boat and just deal with the regulator 2nd stage and hose.

I haven't tried this either, but I have read several reports of boaters using an AC oil-less compressor with ~~2 gallon tank onboard or on a dock , connected to a regulator 2nd stage as a make-do hookah.
Note ONLY an oil-less compressor could ever be used for this and the supplied air would not be filtered like scuba air. The type with a oil reservoir or that allows any oil into the delivered air could kill or otherwise harm you badly. I'm just reporting, not recommending anything.
Likewise be aware going below less than 10' depth and breathing that supplied air and then ascending while holding your breath can also cause extreme harm to the diver as the air expands. Never hold your breath while ascending.

edit: Sorry , Mike You posted while I was still pecking .

Sandy

Edited by - Sandy on Mar 27 2019 20:38:24

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

cmariner32

RO# 7269

Posted - Mar 27 2019 :  23:24:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used a Husky oil-less air compressor from Home Depot ($99) with a Hookah regulator and a 50' air line for all my underwater adventures under my boat for many years. I installed an inline air filter as a safety precaution, but it has served me well for over 15 years. Much cheaper than the other alternatives suggested. I never did scuba prior to this, I practiced in my pool until I felt comfortable using the equipment underwater. As I am past the age where I can do my own underwater work and cleaning now, if anyone is interested in the Hookah regulator, filter and air line, drop me a line at Santego38 at gmaildotcom

The only thing that works on an old boat.....is the Owner.

Homeport: Clearwater/St. Pete Florida Go to Top of Page

smitty477

RO# 31913

Posted - Mar 28 2019 :  13:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy

My boat is only 27', so 2 or 3 times a 6 mo. NE season I just use a mask and fins to go down and brush the whole bottom and inspect/ replace the 6 U/W anodes( Ah... not on 1 breath. I used to replace the bearings and anodes on the SPURS cutters when I used them , with same equipment. I have plenty of full dive gear but never really felt it was worth gearing up for that. You have a larger boat so you might feel the need for air supply.

I haven't used it but I also have what I think is a 50' ( maybe less?) hookah hose to connect between 1st stage on the tank and 2nd stage at the other end of the hose, so if I want I can leave the regular 80 cu ft. tank on the boat and just deal with the regulator 2nd stage and hose.

I haven't tried this either, but I have read several reports of boaters using an AC oil-less compressor with ~~2 gallon tank onboard or on a dock , connected to a regulator 2nd stage as a make-do hookah.
Note ONLY an oil-less compressor could ever be used for this and the supplied air would not be filtered like scuba air. The type with a oil reservoir or that allows any oil into the delivered air could kill or otherwise harm you badly. I'm just reporting, not recommending anything.
Likewise be aware going below less than 10' depth and breathing that supplied air and then ascending while holding your breath can also cause extreme harm to the diver as the air expands. Never hold your breath while ascending.

edit: Sorry , Mike You posted while I was still pecking .

"I haven't used it but I also have what I think is a 50' ( maybe less?) hookah hose to connect between 1st stage on the tank and 2nd stage at the other end of the hose, so if I want I can leave the regular 80 cu ft. tank on the boat and just deal with the regulator 2nd stage and hose."

This is the way to go - an 80 cubic foot tank with a separate regulator and splice in Hooka quick change hose. Used this for many years with excellent results - gives much more than an hour for hull inspections, cleanings, removing ropes etc. You do not need to be certified to get the tanks filled or inspected as my wife always dropped them off with no issues. Sold our set up last year with a 60' hose for about that $250 so we don't need to move it.
Best option by far

Homeport: NY Go to Top of Page

Bill D.

RO# 150

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  09:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with NC on this, a pony bottle and regulator. That was mu backup air when diving solo. It was strapped to my main tank. When doing the boat I used a backpack and not a BC to carry the pony. Regardless take a scuba course because you will, at some point you will go deeper than just a few feet under the boat, be glad you did. It all seems simple, and mostly it is, but there are real dangers.

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it." Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956)
PETA now selling "I hate Bill D." T-shirts

Edited by - Bill D. on Mar 31 2019 09:30:10

Homeport: Gulf Shores, Alabama Go to Top of Page

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  14:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill D.

I'm with NC on this, a pony bottle and regulator. That was mu backup air when diving solo. It was strapped to my main tank. When doing the boat I used a backpack and not a BC to carry the pony. Regardless take a scuba course because you will, at some point you will go deeper than just a few feet under the boat, be glad you did. It all seems simple, and mostly it is, but there are real dangers.

Thanks Bill. I suppose it’s slightly possible that the info on the internet may not be 100% accurate. I’m retiring in June and plan on getting both my Captains license and being certified for scuba.

Bill D.

RO# 150

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  15:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a lot of scuba gear that I really should unload as I doubt I'll be diving much if any in the future. Get in touch with me after you take the class. I even have 4 tanks and a pony that have been stored indoors and should pass hydrostatic and VIP. All my gear was top shelf in its day and was kept well serviced.

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false face for the urge to rule it." Henry Louis Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  15:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've got a lot of scuba gear that I really should unload as I doubt I'll be diving much if any in the future. Get in touch with me after you take the class. I even have 4 tanks and a pony that have been stored indoors and should pass hydrostatic and VIP. All my gear was top shelf in its day and was kept well serviced.

Will do and thanks.

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  16:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm the same way. Shallow (less than, I don't know, maybe ten fifteen feet, I've never set a hard limit for myself) - I'm using a plastic backplate with a steel tank and managing buoyancy between my lungs and my drysuit, and huffing on an old Poseidon Cyklon that I'm pretty sure is older than I am. Bomb-proof regulator, though - very, very, very unlikely to fail me underwater, even if I use it as a hammer above the surface. Purge button terrifies me because it moves more CFM than those t-shirt cannons at sporting venues, but it'll still fail safe. Love that regulator, just can't afford to sell my soul for the modern version. NOT cheap nowadays.

So all that said, if I needed a "go check something out under the boat" rig? Pony tank, or even a repurposed paintball tank, pick up a $20 Cyklon first and second stage on eBay, find a dive shop with an old guy on staff that knows where the old parts are, and replace the diaphragm and seals. Use a normal pick for the circlip around the purge button, not a large fish hook. Trust me. Get used to purging it yourself - second stage runs at a significantly higher pressure than any other.

Bill D.

RO# 150

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  18:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
" Shallow (less than, I don't know, maybe ten fifteen feet, I've never set a hard limit for myself) - I'm using a plastic backplate with a steel tank " -NC

Yessir! It's also my rig for freeing a anchor hung up on one of our artificial reefs down here. Quick trip down the anchor line and back up it to the boat.

Edited by - Bill D. on Mar 31 2019 18:44:34

Bill D.

RO# 150

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  21:08:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that's funny, but probably not at the time. I had a friend spearfishing with me and he shot a AJ (amberjack) but failed to stone it. We were diving on a small tug whose wheelhouse was still pretty much intact as far as the framing went. Anyway the dang AJ went straight in and buddy holding on for dear life. Of course the dang tug has mono lines all over it where people had fish break off. What do ya do when there's blood, slit, and a thrashing fish on the line. Yep, ditch the gear, swim in and rip his gills out, drag him back out, and don your gear. I always seemed to get the fun jobs....

BTW-- You're tougher than me. I like the nice warm water of the gulf where I often would dive in a t-shirt and bathing suit.

Edited by - Bill D. on Mar 31 2019 21:13:44

getakey

RO# 32379

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  22:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few dive stories that weren't much fun. Most of my dives were in Okinawa

Dani-Lu

RO# 19601

Posted - Apr 07 2019 :  18:37:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only one thing to remember when breathing compressed air, “breath continuously” - Do Not hold your breath! You can cause a a lung overexpansion injury when surfacing from only 4’ of water.

Homeport: Delray Beach, Fl. Go to Top of Page

TJM

RO# 2909

Posted - Apr 12 2019 :  15:19:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Anchor:
If you are coming down to your boat this weekend, or anytime as we are liveaboards, stop by our boat (Harmony, 5 slips to your starboard at Dauntless on E dock) and I can show you both and let you decide. I have a spare air and a 80 cu foot tank with a 50' foot hose. The tank set up is the best, any labored breathing and the spare air gets consumed in minutes.
If you are diving soon you can borrow either one and decide for yourself. The 80 cu ft. tank fills the spare air in seconds. The full 80 cu ft tank floats and you do not need a BC. I Just throw the tank in the water and pull it with a tether on my belt. If I am doing any diving other than under my boat I put the tank in my tender and slide overboard. I never go below 20 feet either. No decompression issues.

Tom
41' President

Edited by - TJM on Apr 12 2019 15:24:18

Homeport: Essex, Ct Go to Top of Page

Anchor Management

RO# 32420

Posted - Apr 13 2019 :  08:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TJM

Mr Anchor:
If you are coming down to your boat this weekend, or anytime as we are liveaboards, stop by our boat (Harmony, 5 slips to your starboard at Dauntless on E dock) and I can show you both and let you decide. I have a spare air and a 80 cu foot tank with a 50' foot hose. The tank set up is the best, any labored breathing and the spare air gets consumed in minutes.
If you are diving soon you can borrow either one and decide for yourself. The 80 cu ft. tank fills the spare air in seconds. The full 80 cu ft tank floats and you do not need a BC. I Just throw the tank in the water and pull it with a tether on my belt. If I am doing any diving other than under my boat I put the tank in my tender and slide overboard. I never go below 20 feet either. No decompression issues.

Thanks Tom. I may stop in next weekend. Hopefully they pull the boat soon. It’s there for painting.

Previous Topic: Pulling the triger on Nav stuff, just checking!! Topic Next Topic: Older GPS Rollover 6/4/19  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.5 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com