BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 7 | Guests: 226 ]  [ Total: 233 ]  [ Newest Member: DonnaB ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 LICC - Long Island Cruising Club
 Looper help, local/recent knowledge of southshore
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Huge Ray in the Great South Bay Topic Next Topic: Great Holiday weekend  

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - May 20 2019 :  10:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As some of you know I have very poor knowledge of south shore boating.

I have been asked by a Great Loop couple as to supply local/recent knowledge of them going to places on the south shore. Here is their email to me and any feedback would be appreciated

“We are Loopers from Minnesota. We are reaching out with some questions about Fire Island. We have plans to meet family and friends for a few days at the end of the month at Flynn’s Marina on Fire Island and we were hoping to get some local knowledge from you.

Our plan is to travel from the Manasquan Inlet up to Fire Island. We’ve done a little research and it looks as though the Fire Island Inlet is rather sketchy with shoaling and misaligned channel markers. So, we are considering traveling up to the East Rockaway Inlet or the Jones Inlet from the Manasquan Inlet and then taking the inside the rest of the way down to Flynn’s Marina.

Our vessel is a 460 Cruisers Express. We draft approx. 4 ft.
We’d so appreciate any advice or guidance you can give us regarding this side trip!
With Appreciation,”
Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY

CaptCrunch

RO# 32171

Posted - May 20 2019 :  10:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fire island inlet was recently dredged have t been through yet this year but heard it’s good. Channel is well marked from inlet to flynns

Hatteras 38c. PhishStix
Past
25 Chris Craft Crowne Totalled Hurricane Sandy
2000 Donzi Z32 SS - Sold

Homeport: Bellmore, NY Go to Top of Page

bone354

RO# 27559

Posted - May 20 2019 :  22:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out Sea Tow Great South Bay facebook page . He is posting info on FI inlet

Homeport: Hauppauge,New york Go to Top of Page

pdecat

RO# 842

Posted - May 21 2019 :  08:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.flynnsfireislandny.com/marina

Doesn't look larger than in the ancient past so I wonder if his boat would fit.

Bruce

Homeport: Gulf Coast FL Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - May 21 2019 :  11:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If in doubt at all, best to follow the party boats in and out of Fire Island Inlet. While the East Rockaway and Jones Inlets are much more straightforward, there is still some possible trouble areas along the inside route for a bigger boat unfamiliar with the area.
If you had to decide between the two though the Jones Inlet is a much better choice. It’s a pretty long ride inside from the East Rockaway Inlet to the Jones Inlet and there is a railroad bridge that will have to be opened for their express.
That would be the only bridge opening they would have to worry about though the rest of the way in an express style boat.
Pretty sure that larger boats tie up on the outside at Flynn’s. Check with them for specifics. If so, you will get bounced around a lot no matter what they tell you.
A better choice may be Sailor’s Haven. It’s a Federal Park Marina that is run by a private contractor and there is a water ferry that you can take to other Fire Island destinations from there.
The only quirk is the 30 amp electric is 30/250 and an adapter is needed if you don’t have one. They’ll rent you one, but if you stay for a few days it’s probably cheaper to buy one.
They are on Dockwa.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Edited by - JVM225 on May 21 2019 11:08:09

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

JohnC

RO# 204

Posted - May 23 2019 :  22:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with the above, a boat that size would have to take one of the few outside slips at Flynns. I have gone there a few times just for a few hours and you are exposed to boat and ferry wakes and it is not a no wake zone. Boats there definitely get tossed around.

Another option in that area is Atlantique. It's on the way and during the season they run regular water taxi service to Ocean Beach area. Much better protected and they have 50/250 power. Sailor's Haven is a great spot but they do not have 50/250 power if required and you won't have regular water taxi to Ocean Beach/Ocean Bay Park area. Flynns is at Ocean Bay Park. This time of year shouldn't be an issue getting a slip at Atlantique, once it gets busy residents have preference and if you're not in that town getting in is difficult.

I have not been through FI Inlet yet this season but heard it is fine from a friend who went through last week and Sea Tow is reporting minimum 12' depths. Be sure to check their FB page as the channel has moved. I think going through FI would be a lot more straight forward for someone not familiar with the area compared to Jones Inlet and the long inside ride, but that is an option.

John

Homeport: Long Island, New York Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - May 24 2019 :  08:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend went through Fire Island Inlet with his 37’ Sailboat this week.
He said it is dredged and well marked.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - May 24 2019 :  09:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Andy, they can follow me!!!! That was a joke! LOL

I have stayed at Flynn's on the outside and all I can say is you will test your cleats.
It is calm 90% of the time but when it rocks, it rocks!
I always preferred the east side. But if you can bow out on the north side you will take the waves head on.

I think Sailors Haven will work and you can make a reservation on DOCKWA.
They don't have 250 but you can make it if you get the end slip where the garbage barge goes.
There is a tower there on a different phase than the other and you can run 2 30's to a smart Y
Talk to dockmaster, they are super accomodating.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

Robski97

RO# 7334

Posted - May 28 2019 :  10:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy,
Was that pulling out of Brewers on sunday ? U know with that row of searays passing the bar ?

Rob

2006 44 Sundancer

Homeport: Merrick, NY Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - May 28 2019 :  10:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robski97

Andy,
Was that pulling out of Brewers on sunday ? U know with that row of searays passing the bar ?

Rob

Rob,
No Ive been a Dock Mary and wont be taking the boat out till I get back from Vegas after this weekend.

My boat is at the end of H dock stern to stern with a 60' SunDancer, & yes there is a few SR SedanBridge's on H dock as well. All good people

Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY Go to Top of Page

Robski97

RO# 7334

Posted - May 29 2019 :  08:06:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NIce .. ok see u soon pal.

Rob

2006 44 Sundancer

Homeport: Merrick, NY Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Huge Ray in the Great South Bay Topic Next Topic: Great Holiday weekend  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.36 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com