BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 9 | Guests: 213 ]  [ Total: 222 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 dock lines nylon vs cotton
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Raymarine - Repair or replace Topic Next Topic: Marine Surveyor recommendations and advice  

preferred

RO# 14520

Posted - May 27 2019 :  10:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good morning
I am looking for advise on type and strength for a catcher rope my wife can pick up off the post and put on the middle cleat in heavy winds.
Nylon or cotton and the size?
45 ft Carver.

Homeport: Northern Harbour, Ont.

cwms

RO# 7357

Posted - May 27 2019 :  11:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you doing this just to hold the boat closer to your finger pier?

Homeport: VA Go to Top of Page

preferred

RO# 14520

Posted - May 27 2019 :  12:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have thrusters, I have a very wide slip with no post in between my boat and my neighbour. I have used this system for years and have miss place the rope. looking at replacing with nylon or cotton ?

Homeport: Northern Harbour, Ont. Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - May 27 2019 :  12:39:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Double braid nylon. Better hand than three strand nylon. I would NEVER use a natural fiber line for mooring lines.

Edit: 1/2Ē diameter DBN is going average 8k WLL. For a mooring or maneuvering line youíll want the strength to not risk parting, but not the size that brings inelasticity. What makes synthetics more dangerous than natural fiber is also what makes it far superior. You want sudden loading to shockload a cheap piece of cordage, not an expensive piece of deck hardware and fiberglass or metal.

My signature line is cooler than your signature line.

Edited by - November Charlie on May 27 2019 12:46:16

Homeport: Northwest Go to Top of Page

JVM225

RO# 28365

Posted - May 27 2019 :  13:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three strand twisted Nylon for piling.

2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
95 Eastern 22'
05 Maxum 18' Bowrider
C6 Corvette Convertible
68 GTO

Homeport: Farmingdale NY Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - May 27 2019 :  13:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JVM225

Three strand twisted Nylon for piling.

If it was to put an eye on the piling Iíd agree, as 3 strand gets stiffer and harder to handle after being loaded, soaked and exposed to sun a bit - making the disadvantage an advantage - but it sounds like heís looking for a a line to be picked up off the pile and made to the boat. Calls for a line with a softer hand that wonít distort the lay of the line under a working load.

(Iíve been a Boatswains Mate for almost 20 years, so Iím always eager to nerd out on discussions about lines and rigging!)

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - May 27 2019 :  13:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I recall some lines and I think they are nylon, are extremely slick and can pull out of a cleat even if they are wrapped correctly. They have a wide weave on the outside.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page

November Charlie

RO# 824

Posted - May 27 2019 :  14:08:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boatbum

As I recall some lines and I think they are nylon, are extremely slick and can pull out of a cleat even if they are wrapped correctly. They have a wide weave on the outside.

Newer synthetics can - but we're talking the UHMWPE 12 strand type lines. You don't really see those on recreational boats, except in specialized applications on racing sailboats. I really like them for towing bridles, particularly Plasma, because they are size for size insanely lighter, stronger, and MUCH more resistant to chafe. Far easier to splice, too. There are still some people around believing the myth that they are highly susceptible to chafing "because Kevlar" - but I don't think anyone is even manufacturing Kevlar cordage in the last decade. I don't even carry wire bridles anymore. Plasma is damned near the same breaking strength size for size, but far lighter and won't damage a towed vessel like 6x19 wire rope will. No real stretch, so you'll feel your tow a lot better up close.

Downside of Plasma, and other UHMWPE and HMPE's is that like you said, they slip like snots on a doorknob. Your typical Sampson or Cortland nylon lines won't do that.

preferred

RO# 14520

Posted - May 27 2019 :  16:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you all for your comments. its great to have so many knowledgeable, experienced boaters to give advise . great form thanks Don

Homeport: Northern Harbour, Ont. Go to Top of Page

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - May 27 2019 :  19:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I donít know what a catcher rope is... is that a baseball thing ? :) since you mentioned the middle cleat I m assuming you mean spring line coming from a piling near the bow. In that case always use the eye on the boat cleat as this will ensure the boat canít back into the dock. I donít even think you can Buy cotton lines ...

Any decent dock line will do the job whether triple strand or double braid. For fixed at your home slip line it doesnít matter if they get stiff with age. For take along lines I use the megabraid line which coils better

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Raymarine - Repair or replace Topic Next Topic: Marine Surveyor recommendations and advice  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com