BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 4 | Guests: 186 ]  [ Total: 190 ]  [ Newest Member: Rleemorris ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 Transducer paddle wheel
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Tilt Gear Track Loose Topic Next Topic: Marine battery charger requirement.  

agriman

RO# 16444

Posted - Jul 02 2019 :  12:27:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My ST50 Tridata Raymarine unit stopped reading speed and log on the weekend. I'm thinking the paddle wheel fouled up. Can the wheel in the transducer be cleared or replaced without pulling the boat out of the water?

Homeport: Lighthouse Cove, On.

Radioactive

RO# 3238

Posted - Jul 02 2019 :  12:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Instead of pulling the boat from the water, you could go in...

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame

Homeport: MS Gulf Coast Go to Top of Page

ronp

RO# 23477

Posted - Jul 02 2019 :  13:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on the transducer. Mine can be pulled out from inside the hull. Airmar B744 I believe. A flap partially blocks the opening so you don't sink.

On the other hand I don't ever do that. The insert has o-rings and they can get nicked when inserting, and then it leaks. And you better have more o-rings on hand.

Thanks,
Ron

Homeport: Amityville, NY Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Jul 02 2019 :  15:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try just going under with a mask to check if the wheel will spin smoothly. It may just have a barnacle to be cleared off with a screwdriver. You may even have some luck underwater using a can of Teflon spray with nozzle straw directed at the axle at the sides of the paddle. Sometimes just moving the boat in reverse once or twice can free up the paddle too.

The B744v Ron mentions came with a blanking plug which is supposed to be secured right near the inside of the T/D. It has the same O-rings which can be used as spares for the B744v speed/temp insert if needed, but when I had the B744V and changed out the insert a couple times over a lot of years I had no problem with damaged O-rings. Just use silicone grease. And have a helper onboard is case you need something you forgot to bring into the bilge with you when water is coming in at a controllable rate.

Sandy

Homeport: The Vineyard Go to Top of Page

agriman

RO# 16444

Posted - Jul 03 2019 :  13:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I do have the plug on a short cable nearby. Does the wheel pop out after removing the pin and nut on top of the T/D?
Thanks Ron and Sandy for your help and suggestions.

Homeport: Lighthouse Cove, On. Go to Top of Page

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Jul 03 2019 :  21:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The insert which houses the paddle wheel and temp sensor look essentially just like the plug but has the paddlewheel at the end. Once you remove the pin and unscrew the nut cover the insert may or may not come out easily depending on the amount of silicone grease previously applied. Even if it resists it ...shouldn't... be too hard to pull it out. I can't recall if there is a tongue and groove affair so it only goes in or out facing 1 direction, or if you can twist it when pulling out. Check to see if there is a clocking arrow pointing forward. And check the replacement paddles to see if they are cupped so that side would face forward.

I don't remember the times I did it being very hard. But just be aware , the flap valve in the remaining stem substantially slows water inflow , it doesn't stop it. So be ready to insert either the plug or replacement or have a rag in a plastic bag or similar to press down over the hole to "plug the dike" while you do whatever needs to be done with your 2nd and 3rd hands.

If there is anything nearby you don't want to get wet, pre-plan to protect it just in case.

Airmar instructions.:
http://www.airmar.com/uploads/InstallGuide/17-207-02.pdf

Sandy

Edited by - Sandy on Jul 03 2019 22:10:56

Sandy

RO# 1159

Posted - Jul 03 2019 :  22:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy

The insert which houses the paddle wheel and temp sensor look essentially just like the plug but has the paddlewheel at the end. Once you remove the pin and unscrew the nut cover the insert may or may not come out easily depending on the amount of silicone grease previously applied. Even if it resists it ...shouldn't... be too hard to pull it out. I can't recall if there is a tongue and groove affair so it only goes in or out facing 1 direction, or if you can twist it when pulling out. Check to see if there is a clocking arrow pointing forward. And check the replacement paddles to see if they are cupped so that side would face forward.

I don't remember the times I did it being very hard. But just be aware , the flap valve in the remaining stem substantially slows water inflow , it doesn't stop it. So be ready to insert either the plug or replacement or have a rag in a plastic bag or similar to press down over the hole to "plug the dike" while you do whatever needs to be done with your 2nd and 3rd hands.

If there is anything nearby you don't want to get wet, pre-plan to protect it just in case.

Airmar instructions.:
http://www.airmar.com/uploads/InstallGuide/17-207-02.pdf

OOPS! Sooo sorry, all the above was for the B744v that Ron mentioned and I was "off to the (wrong) races" .

Here's the ST50 kit:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Autohelm-St50-Speed-Tridata-Paddle-Wheel-Kit-Airmar-33-112-Raymarine-A28106/21014884996

Sandy

agriman

RO# 16444

Posted - Aug 12 2019 :  16:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dodged another bullet. Luckily three weeks ago the wheel started rotating because all is working again.

Homeport: Lighthouse Cove, On. Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic: Tilt Gear Track Loose Topic Next Topic: Marine battery charger requirement.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 20.2 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com