BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 224 ]  [ Total: 225 ]  [ Newest Member: Jim_In_Calif ]
 All Forums
 Forums
 Ask the Captain
 Offer to buy a boat that needs service - strategy
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Deadly Lake?  

GregR

RO# 33547

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  10:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my endless search for the next boat I decided to look at a 2005 Formula 31 PC yesterday, I absolutely love it. The quality shows. It's in good condition overall. The seller is looking to move up to a bigger boat, so I don't think I have a motivated seller. I can tell they use the boat frequently still.

It has Mercruiser 496s with Bravo 3 outdrives, 630 hours, fresh water use. The risers and manifolds have never been replaced. Manifolds are raw water cooled. Engines are closed cooling.

My best guess is I am looking at $5000 to have them replaced. I could do it, but that's a job for the mechanic. The seller does not come across as mechanically savy and has probably listened to his dockmates in my opinion tell him "it's' fresh water use, they are ok and do not need to be replaced". At 14 years, i think it's time.

What kind of strategy would you use in your offer? Ask the seller to replace them (I know he will not)? Reduce your offer by $5,000? Look for a compromise? If a compromise, what options can you think of?

Formerly "MrsRobinson" on here
2005 Monterey 302 - sold
2000 Monterey 302 - sold
2001 Regal 3780 - sold
1995 Sea Ray 330DA - sold
2004 Maxum 2400 SCR - sold
1996 Maxum 1900 SCR - sold

Edited by - GregR on Jul 07 2019 10:29:41

Homeport: Stafford, VA

PascalG

RO# 12212

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  11:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It all depends on the asking price. If the asking is on the high side, then make an offer at least $5000 below. If the asking price is competitive, the boat is in good condition and you like it, then offer $5000 below but be open to negotiate to end up somewhere in between.

Try getting an estimate on replacement, $5000 seems a bit high but it depends on access and how stubborn the bolts will be

That said I havenít dealt with gassers in over 20 years so is it possible that in fresh water the manifolds are just fine?

Pascal
1970 Hatteras 53 MY
26' Starfish sloop
12' Westphal Catboat
16' Hobie Cat
13' Sandbarhopper

Homeport: Miami, FL Go to Top of Page

sugilbert

RO# 3854

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  12:27:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly have a survey done on boat and engines. Knock on wood; my 4.3 Mercs are 19 years old, always in fresh water, raw cooled, and are just fine.

Steve
"L'Chiam" 29' 2000 Regal Commodore 2660 (2765) T/4.3 Alphas

Homeport: Michigan City/South Bend, IN Go to Top of Page

PilotError

RO# 13077

Posted - Jul 07 2019 :  17:38:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Numerous fresh water cooled boats in my marina are 20 years old and still using original manifolds and risers. You may be looking for a $5000 problem that does not exist.

Homeport: Lake Champlain Go to Top of Page

nwaring

RO# 16045

Posted - Jul 08 2019 :  05:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The manifolds and risers should be just fine. I would be way more worried about those B3's. Even in fresh water those things still corrode and not just on the outside, they corrode where you can't see. My slip neighbor just went through a very expensive repair\replacement of his 2001 B3.

Good luck
Niles

"Interlude"
87 Mainship 36DC
2006 22' Angler/225hp E-Tec

Homeport: Ashtabula Oh - Punta Gorda Fl Go to Top of Page

Gregory S

RO# 2620

Posted - Jul 10 2019 :  10:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with above. In all my years of fresh water boating , I never knew of anyone , owner, mechanic or marina that was routinely changing manifolds, elbows and risers on RWC engines used only in fresh water. Agree, you're looking at a problem that doesn't exist in reality. When I converted my RWC Crusaders to FWC after 15 years of exclusive fresh water use, the elbows still had factory paint on the insides and no corrosion.

Homeport: Norfolk, Va Go to Top of Page

BillK

RO# 775

Posted - Jul 19 2019 :  14:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am also in the camp of manifolds and risers never need replacing on a freshwater boat - at least not as a maintenance item. They might freeze or crack for some other reason, but not rust or corrosion. Can't hurt to try and negotiate on it, but if I were the seller, that is about the last thing I would negotiate on.

I have owned a half dozen different boats, all in freshwater and never have replaced or even looked at an exhaust riser or manifold. Current boat is 20yrs old, original engine with 700hrs, not even thinking about the manifolds.

Homeport: Lake Norman, NC Go to Top of Page

boatbum

RO# 36

Posted - Jul 19 2019 :  15:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure where you are located but if you are on a river, and the brine line is near by, the water could be brackish. Risers do fail in that environment.

Homeport: Go to Top of Page
  Topic Next Topic: Deadly Lake?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.39 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com