BoaterEd Store      - Help Support This Forum - Join Today!      Hunting/Fishing Stuff
BoaterEd
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register

Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Avatar Legend | Statistics
[ Active Members: 1 | Guests: 213 ]  [ Total: 214 ]  [ Newest Member: Jim_In_Calif ]
 All Forums
 Clubs - Organized Clubs, Cruises and Activities
 LICC - Long Island Cruising Club
 LI Sound vacation
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Fire Island Inlet Topic Next Topic: Window & Hatch Screen Replacement on LI  

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  09:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wife and kids really want to go back to Essex Island so that will be the focus of our trip but I want to check out new places. I've heard alot of good things about Greenport so I'm thinking of that as well. Can anyone recommend a good spot in Greenport? It must have floating docks, the dog is getting old and hips are failing.

I also want to stop someplace west, I've heard alot of good things about Norwalk. Here's what I'm thinking:

- Croton Point to Norwalk, one night there
- Norwalk to Greenport, three nights there
- Greenport to Essex, three nights there
- Essex to ??? one night there
- ??? to Croton

Any advice is appreciated, please let me know of any places to avoid.
Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  10:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greenport:
Ok, & im sure a bunch of guys will jump in.

Marina’s: Mitchel Park- in town, nice condition BUT depending on slip could have rocking issue from all the Ferry traffic

Townsend Manor Inn- Marina- $3.50/4.00 a ft-
just a short walk to town – although I haven’t been there for year I believe they have kept up the place

Safe Harbor Stirling Harbor-$4 a ft-
My marina so I guess I like it
On site Restaurant, Fuel,Pool, small gym, new docks/ power etc…
It’s further from town, maybe 10min more of a walk than Townsend?
They have a shuttle van to get you to local places
They have a sister marina in the same Stirling harbor which has a Tiki type restaurant/bar
Town has a Pump out boat that goes to all

Used to go to Norwalk all the town and their Town dock was very nice with Power/water
At the foot of the town

Carver Voyager 530 with Volvo 122's/610HP
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........

Edited by - abalmuth on Jul 11 2019 10:37:21

Homeport: Huntington/Greenport, NY Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  15:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two of my favorite places Essex and Norwalk. Frankly I'm surpriced you have been there. Norwalk Cove marine is where we always go but haven't been a fee years. Greenport is a very nice port but I haven't find the right fit for me as far as marinas. As stated above Mitchel park is very nice but my wife doesn't like the rocking and the dog hates the noice from the ferry.
I had a but experience at Brewers but it was likely just a bad day for the staff and the weather didn't help we left after one night which was a day early.

Dave

“Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time.” – T.S. Elliotcommon.
-----------------------------------------------------------

1996 440 Trojan Express

Edited by - Audrey II on Jul 11 2019 15:40:22

Homeport: Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  15:41:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I will stay away from Mitchell Park, not interested in being around a ferry.
It sounds as if Andy's marina is the best bet but should I try someplace else other than Greenport?
Perhaps Shelter Island, Mystic, etc? We've already been to Montauk, Block Island and Port Jeff so they are off the table.

Any other ideas for a stop on the trip back besides Norwalk?

Favorite Quote: Don't sweat the petty things...AND...Don't pet the sweaty things!! - Steven Tyler

Homeport: Hudson River Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  15:46:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are looking for a laid but relaxing place Mattituck was a first for me a few days ago if we didn't have reservations elsewhere we would have spent another night there. My wife has already requested we go back there. Strongd marina.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 11 2019 :  20:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how you feel about anchoring out or for this matter being on a mooring for a night but there are lots of inexpensive options. We are anchored in Sag Harbor for two nights it's free or the fuel for the generator and I know you have a decent dinghy to go to town and the dinghy dock is also free. If you want to stop in Lloyds for a night (during the week) let me know I share a mooring ball there. Have you been to Huntington or Northport? Lots of options to choose from!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

JohnC

RO# 204

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  00:38:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You mentioned Mystic, I went there with the boat probably over 10 years ago now and really enjoyed it. We stayed at the Seaport, once it closes you have the grounds to yourself. I think the aquarium was within walking distance. Also nice dinghy rides further up the river and into town. Haven't been back yet but it's definitely on my list for a repeat trip one of these days.

Homeport: Long Island, New York Go to Top of Page

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  05:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Anchoring out is not an option, the dog is getting old and needs floating docks, dinghy is impossible.
Looks like I have some research to do!

BillyK

RO# 24466

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  06:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

All are good suggestions. Add one more to the list. American Wharf in Norwich Connecticut is a beautiful ride up the Thames river. Going passed the Sub base and other sites is fun. It is also a short ride to Mohegan Sun if you like to gamble. Have fun.

Billy K.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience".

Homeport: Patchogue, N.Y. Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  06:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an FYI, if you decide to spend some time at Stirling harbor the Dock Master is Ryan

WALSHIE

RO# 2124

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  09:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish we had more time. Besides the floating dock requirement, the admiral has one fast rule and I agree. Either we stay one night or three nights.

CurrentSea

RO# 10265

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  15:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old Saybrook is a nice place, but can get rocky.
It is a floating dock.
Same River as Essex.

Mystic is nice, Westbrook is a nice marina (pilot's point)

If you want to explore peconic, come further in than greenport to Riverhead where I am docked.
Floating docks, great place, aquarium and lots to do for kids.

Also From greenport you can go to shelter or sag.

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Homeport: Anchorage YC - Lindenhurst, NY Go to Top of Page

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 12 2019 :  23:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in Old Saybrook right now I have always heard you rock too much but I'm on a tee head and not rocking much at all! This said I have a friend docked at the beginning of the dock and he is rocking. I think the current hits the bulkhead and then bounces back so he is getting double hit. This is a very nice resort nice pools and great restaurant. Enjoyed dinner then played miniature golf. Feeling very relaxed!

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Edited by - Audrey II on Jul 14 2019 03:48:01

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Jul 14 2019 :  07:02:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another Sound location that maybe of interest is Norwich CT, all the way up the Thymes river. Nice ride up the river mostly at cruise speeds except past the Sub. Pens.
The Marina at American wharf has floating docks and is well kept, Restaurant onsite as well as pool. Not much just outside the Marina but it sits between Foxwoods & Mohegan Sun. The Marina has shuttle service to both.

HOGAN

RO# 3813

Posted - Jul 15 2019 :  10:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are currently 1/2way through 2.5weeks out east. We stayed at Bruce & Johnson's in Branford. Beautiful, clean Brewers marina, huge concrete floating docks, good restaurant on premises and Stony Creek Brewery. Is a short dunk ride up the river.

We went to Block for a week, and came over to Greenport yesterday. Staying at Townsend Marina right now, which is nice, but we are not on a floating dock. Ask for one of you come here. Andy, if you are around let me know.

Other nice places are Essex Island, Pilots Point, Saybrook Point Marina, Fort Rachel in Mystic

1999 Trojan 440 Express
2005 Scout 175 Sportfish

MMSI# 338049724

Surly to bed, surly to rise...

Homeport: Haverstraw Marina, Haverstraw, NY Go to Top of Page

ChezBippy

RO# 22834

Posted - Jul 15 2019 :  10:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI,

Sounds like you have a lot of good advise. I'd second Townsend manor in Greenport. short walk to town, they have a nice pool for the kids, we have always like staying there. If you go, call to make the reservation and make sure they can give you a floating dock. They have both bulk head and floaters. The bulk head isn't bad, I think Greenport has less then 3 feet of tide. But, with an old dog it could be an issue.

Shelter Island is great, but, pretty quite. I'd recommend the Island boat yard in West neck harbor. As others have said Northport and Huntington are good options in the mid to western sound.

Have fun!

Gary

Homeport: Saint James, NY Go to Top of Page

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Jul 15 2019 :  13:01:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HOGAN

We went to Block for a week, and came over to Greenport yesterday. Staying at Townsend Marina right now, which is nice, but we are not on a floating dock. Ask for one of you come here. Andy, if you are around let me know.

Mike
Just got back in Huntington dealing with a sick Mutt. Looks like you guys are having great weather. When you pull out check if my boat is still there

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 16 2019 :  02:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My parents kept their boat in Huntington Yacht club for years very nice there! Delivering Happiness was just there last week for a couple of days before meeting me at my mooring ball in Lloyd's harbor.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

abalmuth

RO# 13885

Posted - Jul 16 2019 :  03:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey II

My parents kept their boat in Huntington Yacht club for years very nice there! Delivering Happiness was just there last week for a couple of days before meeting me at my mooring ball in Lloyd's harbor.

Dave

Having the boat in Huntington Harbor was so nice being just minutes from the house, but after 30 years of core west sound boating, going out east has been a great change.

That being said my new Gal still works and will be for the next year or so,making it difficult to get to the boat often, So i maybe bringing it back to Huntington or Port Jeff next season???

I may visit Huntington as a transit late Aug and maybe we can sync up at Lloyds?

Audrey II

RO# 30499

Posted - Jul 16 2019 :  05:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abalmuth

quote:
Originally posted by Audrey II

Dave

Having the boat in Huntington Harbor was so nice being just minutes from the house, but after 30 years of core west sound boating, going out east has been a great change.

That being said my new Gal still works and will be for the next year or so,making it difficult to get to the boat often, So i maybe bringing it back to Huntington or Port Jeff next season???

I may visit Huntington as a transit late Aug and maybe we can sync up at Lloyds?

Sounds good let me know.

Dave

1996 440 Trojan Express

Previous Topic: Fire Island Inlet Topic Next Topic: Window & Hatch Screen Replacement on LI  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.42 seconds to load
Forum Guidelines and Privacy Notice

Boatered.com